Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
oo
Foxydelic54
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, I've just completed the Biomed Sci Foundation Year at MMU.

I studied 6 modules:
1. Biodiversity and Ecology
2. Biological Form and Function
3. Biomolecules, Cells and Genetics
4. Foundation Chemistry
5. Applied Numeracy
6. Academic Methods

*I had 13 hours of lectures per week plus 5 hours of Labs/Field trips which were every 2-3 weeks.

*The course is taught pretty well and all modules overlap quite well.

*Lecturers were a bit of a mixed bag, to be honest. For example, for biodiversity, I had 3 lecturers: 1 was excellent, 1 was very approachable and helpful and 1 was really very boring and held very uninteresting lectures, which was a shame as the module was really fascinating.

*The year was fairly well organised, the only problems we had were
1. the size of our classes which meant a lot of messing around trying to find bigger lecture theatres at the beginning of the year and some lecture times were changed.
2. It took a long time for work to be handed back. I was in the first of the three teaching groups so my group had the longest waiting time for work handed back. Biomolecules was by far the worst for this - we handed in assignments in December and didn't get them back until our last lecture in April.

*The maths units are well taught and well paced. It involved 3 tests spread out through the year so the Math workload doesn't particularly build up.

If you have any other questions etc, I'm happy to answer.

I hope this helps you
asif102
oo
Foxydelic54
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're welcome

I didn't technically have to meet any requirements as I applied as a mature student, but I chose to apply for the Foundation Year as I wasn't particularly confident in returning to education after such a long time away (I was 27 when I started last September). I'm glad I did this as I now have a much, much better idea of workload, what is expected of me etc. It also helped a lot in terms of organisation and time management - I have a 3 hour round trip to and from Uni each day and I have a 7yo son so I have to be ridiculously organised and efficient!

The Foundation Year for Dental Tech and Biomed Sci contain modules that overlap i.e. Foundation Chemistry but I think if you did the foundation year for Biomed Sci and then decide you want to a Dental Tech Degree you would actually have to then retake the foundation year for Dental Tech.

If you have a confirmed place on the FY for Biomed and then decide to drop it, yes you run the risk of not getting a place on the FY for Dental Tech and you may have to re-apply for 2012 intake. However, in my intake a lot of people chopped and changed in the first few weeks and MMU were rather lenient with that.

It really all depends on which you would rather study to be honest but I don't think you would have much problem changing FY if you decide to in September.
asif102
oo
Foxydelic54
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Personally, I would inform them on Results Day as you may be able to change FY then. If they can't fit you in you can always wait until Induction Week - that's what most people last year did. One of my classmates changed from the Science FY to Fashion FY :confused:

They are very flexible when it comes to things like this but remember there is a chance (no matter how small!) that they may not be able to change your FY. I can't really see it being a problem since both FY are very similar (I think you'd just drop a module or two and add a different module or two!) and there is room for movement.

I still have my handbook from FY if you'd like me to post the Modules you'll take for Dental Tech?
asif102
oo
Foxydelic54
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Modules for Dental Tech FY are:

Core Units (Taken by every FY student regardless of Degree) - Academic Methods; Applied Numeracy

Pre-Requisite Units - Foundation Chemistry; Dental Laboratory Techniques A

Academic Methods, Applied Numeracy and Foundation Chemistry are worth 20 Credits each and Dental Lab Tech is worth 40 Credits giving you a combined total of 100 Credits. You have to have 120 Credits to pass FY and there is a list of optional units given out in the FY student guide in Induction Week.
asif102
oo
Foxydelic54
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, no you HAVE to have 120 Credits for the year. In Induction Week you will be given a form to fill out where you have to write out which Units you are doing and how many Credits they are worth and then have one of the FY tutors sign it.
The Tutors will go through all your credits with you and they will make sure you have 120 Credits - you cannot do FY with 100 Credits for example.

The way FY works is that you have the core units (which EVERY student does), then you will also do the units that are 'tailored' for your degree - for Dental Tech, it's the Chem and Lab tech; for Biomed Sci it's Chem plus the 3 Bio units etc.
If, after you have filled out the Units form, you do not have enough credits to make 120, you then have to pick optional ones from the list provided - there's about 25-30 optional ones to choose from. Obviously, you have to make sure the optional ones don't clash with the core/pre-req ones and aswell, places are limited due to class size.

In terms of going on to your degree after FY, you have to pass each unit with 40%. We were told that it was completely essential to pass Academic methods and Numeracy to get onto the degree but, to be fair, they didn't seem that bothered if you didn't!
ninah1995162
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Foxydelic54)

I studied 6 modules:
4. Foundation Chemistry
5. Applied Numeracy
6. Academic Methods

*I had 13 hours of lectures per week plus 5 hours of Labs/Field trips which were every 2-3 weeks.

*Lecturers were a bit of a mixed bag, to be honest. For example, for biodiversity, I had 3 lecturers: 1 was excellent, 1 was very approachable and helpful and 1 was really very boring and held very uninteresting lectures, which was a shame as the module was really fascinating.

1. the size of our classes which meant a lot of messing around trying to find bigger lecture theatres at the beginning of the year and some lecture times were changed.
2. It took a long time for work to be handed back. I was in the first of the three teaching groups so my group had the longest waiting time for work handed back. Biomolecules was by far the worst for this - we handed in assignments in December and didn't get them back until our last lecture in April.

*The maths units are well taught and well paced. It involved 3 tests spread out through the year so the Math workload doesn't particularly build up.

I hope this helps you
Will I be able to do a foundation year then go on to the biological or biomedical science after the foundation year at QM and then go onto graduate medicine,I just want to know if its possible or not. I don;t need any lectures of how its almost impossible and hard to get into, I know, but I just want to know whether I can go onto graduate medicine after doing a foundation year.
20z12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
is it likely that this course will be available in clearing?
GeorgeeStrong
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Foxydelic54)

I studied 6 modules:
4. Foundation Chemistry
5. Applied Numeracy
6. Academic Methods

I hope this helps you
Hi, how many people do the foundation year? for example is it mainly boys/girls that study it and do most people go on into first year entry? Thanks
connorfrench96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Got my offer for this course last week for 2015 entry!
connorfrench96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, Is the foundation year taught at the university? Cheers
Anushia3786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, My name is Anushia and I’m going to do the foundation year this year for Biomedical Science at MMU. I just wanted to ask you overall do you think it’s a good degree in-terms of future job prospects?, is it a challenging/hard degree?
jc933
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anushia3786)
Hello, My name is Anushia and I’m going to do the foundation year this year for Biomedical Science at MMU. I just wanted to ask you overall do you think it’s a good degree in-terms of future job prospects?, is it a challenging/hard degree?
Unfortunately not. You are better off doing biochem and trying to find a better university.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jc933)
Unfortunately not. You are better off doing biochem and trying to find a better university.
Why do you think that ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads