The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by duracell
I found most of the end part not as good as it could have been.

The scene in the Great Hall where Pansy points out Harry, and all the houses one by one turn to defend him was so good in the book. And in the film - Ginny and a few DA members.

Harry not just falling out of Hagrid's arms and running off into the castle - but casting a Shield charm between Voldemort and Molly Weasley after she's killed Bellatrix. And the consequent circling - everyone knows Snape was on the good side the whole time, everyone sees Voldemort die, lots and lots of celebration. I was really disappointed there was no cheering or anything after Voldemort turned to dust.

The King's Cross scene was disappointing in the extreme. Ok so it's suddenly not about Hallows AT ALL (never mind that it's called HP and the Deathly Hallows), but you can't even let Dumbledore explain why Harry isn't actually going to die?

*Sigh* I liked the film overall, but felt that after the book the ending was a bit of an anti-climax.

This, totally this. I really, really wanted the last film to be identical to the book, because some of the scenes were just so good. For example, all of the ones you have mentioned were amongst the best-the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort was the one that, more than any, I didn't want to be edited, but they just went and raped it. And that ridiculous jumping-over-the-edge-holding-each-others-face bit-why? :mad: :frown:
Original post by JohnC2211
No, I don't mean when he uses Expelliarmus, as I believe I read somewhere that the killing spell will be stopped if another spell hits it. I'm referring to when Voldemort is bombarding him with nonverbal killing curses and Harry is blocking it with shield charms, which according to the books is impossible.

Exactly. Goblet of Fire, Mad-Eye Moody says, "There's no stopping it. There's no counter-curse". I would've thought that made it plain that you couldn't block it. Yes, I care about those small details because, rather than enjoying a good film, all I could think for so much of the film was 'that's not what happens in the book'.
Reply 1982
Seeing it in a packed cinema was a bad idea - the audience were so noisy and it's hard to get really in to a film with that level of noise. The woman sitting right next to me annoyed the whole cinema by shrieking with laughter any time something scary, funny or sad happened which was followed by about 10 people telling her to shut up. Immediately after it had finished, I was prepared for everyone to turn on her but luckily she left pretty quickly!

I liked the film but I think I need to see it again to appreciate how good it is.
Harry potter theme! :biggrin:
harry potter theme <3
going to see the movie tonight!
Original post by BritGirl
How come?

It just looks darker!
Original post by guitarsam11
Harry potter theme! :biggrin:

That's pretty good, I'm guessing you did it yourself judging by your name! :wink:
Don't know if it's been brought up, but the whole Dumbledore backstory being pretty much ignored made my blood boil. Especially as they went to all the trouble in Deathly Hallows pt 1 of mentioning his dad killing three muggle boys, and the book, and Aberforth and Ariana... then nothing. No explanation whatsoever.
Original post by strifelight
The only parts I'm gutted about is that we didn't get any proper death scenes from the order of the pheonix! Where was Fred's, Lupin's and Tonk's deaths?! D:

Apparantley they shot Fred being cornered by laodsa Death Eaters who just shot him with loads of spells - but cut it due to timing restraints. Just seeing Fred's body had me tearing up anyway. I loved Fred.
I just watched the harry potter for the first time today, it was the first movie. My verdict, it was a bit "meh". :s-smilie:
Original post by U.S Lecce
I just watched the harry potter for the first time today, it was the first movie. My verdict, it was a bit &quot;meh&quot;. :s-smilie:

Whaddya mean first movie. :s-smilie:

Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Apparantley they shot Fred being cornered by laodsa Death Eaters who just shot him with loads of spells - but cut it due to timing restraints. Just seeing Fred's body had me tearing up anyway. I loved Fred.

None of George's missing ear either. :frown:
Reply 1991
GEORGE STILL HAD BOTH EARS!

Sorry that bugged me so much! And Harry/Voldemort did three priori incantatum thingys! and no circling, and harry didnt give voldie chance for remorse! And then he spoke to lupin saying he was sorry for his son, when it wasnt ever mentioned that tonks was even pregnant!
I could go on...
However i liked that i could sit there and recite bits from the book into direct quotes :smile:
Reply 1992
Don't know if it's been brought up, but the whole Dumbledore backstory being pretty much ignored made my blood boil. Especially as they went to all the trouble in Deathly Hallows pt 1 of mentioning his dad killing three muggle boys, and the book, and Aberforth and Ariana... then nothing. No explanation whatsoever.

Yes! This p'ed me off sooo much! Especially when Harry was like "i dont care what happened between you and your brother" i was like what?! You had a real issue with this in the book because you didnt know Albus properly and eeughhh!
Original post by I Persia I
Whaddya mean first movie. :s-smilie:

None of George's missing ear either. :frown:

The first harry potter movie, the philosophers stone. It was the first time i've seen harry potter.
Original post by U.S Lecce
The first harry potter movie, the philosophers stone. It was the first time i've seen harry potter.

Ohhh, we're all talking about the new one that just came out, 1/8 movies, but don't judge the series by the films, read all the books (it's worth it) then watch the movies. :smile:
Ohhh, we're all talking about the new one that just came out, 1/8 movies, but don't judge the series by the films, read all the books (it's worth it) then watch the movies. :smile:

I don't read. :pierre:
Original post by Snavej
Yes! This p'ed me off sooo much! Especially when Harry was like "i dont care what happened between you and your brother" i was like what?! You had a real issue with this in the book because you didnt know Albus properly and eeughhh!

Taking aside the books, the first part of Deathly Hallows went on about Dumbledore not giving him enough information, keeping stuff from him - if they couldn't include it fair enough, but why go to so much trouble of bringing it up in the first part if you won't conclude it in the second part?
Taking aside the books, the first part of Deathly Hallows went on about Dumbledore not giving him enough information, keeping stuff from him - if they couldn't include it fair enough, but why go to so much trouble of bringing it up in the first part if you won't conclude it in the second part?

They just went for all-out action in the second part which has left 98% of book fans fuming. I felt it could've been done better, but I still liked it.
Reply 1998
Original post by HK1
I've not watched the film but I've heard that Neville says he loves Luna and always has in a battle scene. Now if this is true it'll be very annoying it simply wasn't in the books.

It's true and I totally agree, especially since in an interview (that day in the life thing) JKR said that Neville and Luna don't hook up and said that she made up people for them to go with :mad:
Reply 1999
They just went for all-out action in the second part which has left 98% of book fans fuming. I felt it could've been done better, but I still liked it.

I would tend to agree with you, except the fighting was slightly lame, and repeatitive...

Quick Reply

Latest