The Student Room Group

Lying on a student finance application to get more money?

okay heres my situation, ive applied for a local uni in september, and i intend to live at home for abit, but me and some of my friends (who arent at uni) want to move out properly in the next 9 months.
so basically, ive currently put that ill be living at home on my student finance application, which means im intital to £1100 less on my loan than if i put i was living away.
so can i lie to them and put living away from home, to allow me to have more money to put towards moving out?
obviously if it was a grant, then i know lying would be completely wrong, but since its a loan, and i'll eventually be paying it back, is it okay?
or if not, can i ring them when i do move out mid way through my first year, and ask them to increase my loan amount?

im sorry if thats horribly confusing but if anyone has any advice id be reallllly greatful :smile:

oh and i do intend to work part time as much as i can along side my course, so please don't think im sponging off society aha :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Don't lie on it.
Reply 2
If and when you do move out then you can apply for a change of circumstances which should adjust the amount of money you receive.
Reply 3
why would you want more debt? you can do it i guess
Reply 4
Original post by hashman90
why would you want more debt? you can do it i guess

well i dont have to pay it back until i'm earning proper money, and it'll just be more cash to help me pay living expenses and rent :smile:
Reply 5
They will probably ask for evidence of a housing contract, they don't for everyone living away from home but they are likely to if you live close enough to the uni that you could be living at home, or if you suddenly change from living at home to living away from home.
Reply 6
Original post by flipshot
They will probably ask for evidence of a housing contract, they don't for everyone living away from home but they are likely to if you live close enough to the uni that you could be living at home, or if you suddenly change from living at home to living away from home.

yerr i definatly understand what you and everyone else is saying, i'll probably do what KeyserNI is saying and just ring them when i do move out and try change it then. :smile:
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure that if they find out you're lying then you'll have to pay the extra money back. I don't know if they ask for evidence or whatever though.
Reply 8
They don't care, you can do whatever the hell you want - you'll be the one paying it all back.
Reply 9
yerr i've definatly got the idea now. i just wasn't sure whether they weren't bothered about you asking to borrow more money than you need in your loan. obviously for grants i know full stop that you'd get majorly busted if you lied, i just wasnt sure about the loan aspect since you're eventually paying it back. the student finance process is too confusing and my school was useless and didnt explain anything!
Original post by emlou19
yerr i've definatly got the idea now. i just wasn't sure whether they weren't bothered about you asking to borrow more money than you need in your loan. obviously for grants i know full stop that you'd get majorly busted if you lied, i just wasnt sure about the loan aspect since you're eventually paying it back. the student finance process is too confusing and my school was useless and didnt explain anything!

It isn't the school's responsibility to do this. It's a contract between the Student Loans company and you and your family. It's none of the school's business.
Reply 11
Actually, if you make a false declaration and you are court, you'll be made ineligible for any support for the full duration of the course, under paragraph 5(f) of The Education (Student Support) Regulations.
Reply 12
Original post by emlou19
okay heres my situation, ive applied for a local uni in september, and i intend to live at home for abit, but me and some of my friends (who arent at uni) want to move out properly in the next 9 months.
so basically, ive currently put that ill be living at home on my student finance application, which means im intital to £1100 less on my loan than if i put i was living away.
so can i lie to them and put living away from home, to allow me to have more money to put towards moving out?
obviously if it was a grant, then i know lying would be completely wrong, but since its a loan, and i'll eventually be paying it back, is it okay?
or if not, can i ring them when i do move out mid way through my first year, and ask them to increase my loan amount?

im sorry if thats horribly confusing but if anyone has any advice id be reallllly greatful :smile:

oh and i do intend to work part time as much as i can along side my course, so please don't think im sponging off society aha :smile:

They do check stuff you know.

Perhaps ring, explain your situation and see what they say. Or, I think there's something called a 'change if circumstances' form, that you could get hold of and fill in once you've moved out.

I thought on the student finance application you had to put where you were each term to avoid this sort of problem. I had to anyway... :confused:

But don't lie, cos they do check up.
Original post by carnationlilyrose

It isn't the school's responsibility to do this. It's a contract between the Student Loans company and you and your family. It's none of the school's business.

Aye, but surely the school should at least help explain student finance to their students. Common sense, innit.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Aye, but surely the school should at least help explain student finance to their students. Common sense, innit.

No, we have no responsibility for a family's personal finances. At the school where I work, we highlight the existence of the website, remind of the deadlines and that's it. As the documentation has to be provided by the student and their parents, it is none of our business. The UCAS form is a different matter as the school writes the reference for it. If a student is not able to take responsibility for acquiring the money to go to university at this age, they really should consider whether higher education is for them.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
No, we have no responsibility for a family's personal finances. At the school where I work, we highlight the existence of the website, remind of the deadlines and that's it. As the documentation has to be provided by the student and their parents, it is none of our business. The UCAS form is a different matter as the school writes the reference for it. If a student is not able to take responsibility for acquiring the money to go to university at this age, they really should consider whether higher education is for them.

I don't mean doing it for them, I mean just explaining the basic process of applying.

The poster said the school didn't explain anything, so I thought the school would at least be sensible enough to explain student finance to people, what it is and how to apply for it, etc. Our college took us through all the steps of applying.
Reply 16
Original post by ilickbatteries
I don't mean doing it for them, I mean just explaining the basic process of applying.

The poster said the school didn't explain anything, so I thought the school would at least be sensible enough to explain student finance to people, what it is and how to apply for it, etc. Our college took us through all the steps of applying.

Yes but the OP was using it as an excuse for not knowing that she shouldn't lie on the forms. I would agree that schools should guide them on the basics, but surely not lying on a form like this is just common sense.
Reply 17
Unfortunately, the schools aren't versed in the ins and outs of student finance.

In my time assessing, we would take a team of staff around the county to schools and colleges, and be on hand to make sure forms were completed properly, documents verified and returned there and then, and to answer any questions. There are local SFE reps now, but it's one per region, and I don't think they offer that kind of service.
Reply 18
The student loan company deals with thousands and thousands of applications every year, they won't ask you for evidence as to whether you are living at home or not as it will be increasing your LOAN. You are asked for evidence for being "income assessed" as you receive a GRANT rather than a LOAN, you're intending to move out at some point during the year, so just put that you'll be living away from home. My home was 20 minutes away from my first University and I still applied for living away from home and they accepted it without a hitch.
Reply 19
Original post by emlou19

Obtaining money by deception is fraud whether its a loan or not. I don't think a criminal conviction or a caution from the police would benefit your career.

Latest

Trending

Trending