The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zxh800
Well the mark schemes for Maths are out so I guess if he remembers his answers correctly there is no reason for him not to be confident.

Sorry. I should probably rephrase that. That's a bit overconfident, isn't?
Either way boasting is certainly not the way to go and with all due respect, personally, that is the way it came across.

:dontknow:
Reply 1281
Original post by -Illmatic-
Sorry. I should probably rephrase that. That's a bit overconfident, isn't?
Either way boasting is certainly not the way to go and with all due respect, personally, that is the way it came across.

:dontknow:

With all due respect, you cannot judge someone to be boasting from what I posted.
Original post by Groat
With all due respect, you cannot judge someone to be boasting from what I posted.

Whatever :dontknow: just an opinion I have developed after reading many of your post. It doesn't matter though, I'm just some random guy on the internet, who you probably will never meet, so why should you care :smile:
Reply 1283
Whatever :dontknow: just an opinion I have developed after reading many of your post. It doesn't matter though, I'm just some random guy on the internet, who you probably will never meet, so why should you care :smile:

Don't you find it worse when people say "Oh that went sooo badly" when they absolutely know it didn't. He's not being overconfident, he looked at the mark schemes posted on here for maths the day after each exam, made estimates from them and then finalised them after seeing the mark schemes. He only posted the breakdown of results because you said he was being over confident, not because he was boasting.
Original post by Tateco
Don't you find it worse when people say "Oh that went sooo badly" when they absolutely know it didn't. He's not being overconfident, he looked at the mark schemes posted on here for maths the day after each exam, made estimates from them and then finalised them after seeing the mark schemes. He only posted the breakdown of results because you said he was being over confident, not because he was boasting.

I'm really not prepared to argue here- I can name various examples where Groat has posted things that you could class as being a bit arrogant imho- see the highlighted part, IMHO. You may, of course, not share this view and if you don't feel free to move on and negging is certainly not the way forward. I'm just expressing an opinion here, which I'm sure many others share- just don't voice. Things such as telling others im on my 1st/2nd/3rd draft of my PS. This is obviously brilliant, but it comes across as trying to intimidate other applicants which may not have even started- this goes on ALOT in other threads which is why I dont really post a lot in this thread bragging about how many books I've read etc

Like I said this is MY opinion, please move on if you do not share it.
Original post by Groat
I've discussed two books in my statement

Which books? :smile:
Reply 1286
I'm really not prepared to argue here- I can name various examples where Groat has posted things that you could class as being a bit arrogant imho- see the highlighted part, IMHO. You may, of course, not share this view and if you don't feel free to move on and negging is certainly not the way forward. I'm just expressing an opinion here, which I'm sure many others share- just don't voice. Things such as telling others im on my 1st/2nd/3rd draft of my PS. This is obviously brilliant, but it comes across as trying to intimidate other applicants which may not have even started- this goes on ALOT in other threads which is why I dont really post a lot in this thread bragging about how many books I've read etc

This thread is for economics applicants to discuss their application with each other, if you're offended by people talking about how far they are into their PS or what grades they think they're going to get then what exactly do you suggest we should talk about (once it gets passed university choices it becomes pretty limited)? I don't want to argue, but I don't think it's fair to say someone is boasting when they are simply trying to add to the thread?
Original post by Tateco
This thread is for economics applicants to discuss their application with each other, if you're offended by people talking about how far they are into their PS or what grades they think they're going to get then what exactly do you suggest we should talk about (once it gets passed university choices it becomes pretty limited)? I don't want to argue, but I don't think it's fair to say someone is boasting when they are simply trying to add to the thread?

I completely understand that. I'm not discouraging conversation about the application itself, rather the manner in which it is being discussed. Ofcourse that is the purpose of this thread but if people went about it in a little less obnoxious way, it would be better (personally). And don't get me wrong, I personally don't feel intimated. I'm speaking on behalf of others who may do. I'm not prepared to argue with you, as I said before.

/rant.
One of the main differences between good students and bad students is that the good students know how well they've done (whether well or badly in their eyes, they can give a good estimate of the mark).
Reply 1289
I completely understand that. I'm not discouraging conversation about the application itself, rather the manner in which it is being discussed. Ofcourse that is the purpose of this thread but if people went about it in a little less obnoxious way, it would be better (personally). And don't get me wrong, I personally don't feel intimated. I'm speaking on behalf of others who may do. I'm not prepared to argue with you, as I said before.
/rant.

I'm not arguing I'm just trying to understand why people might be intimidated so I can make sure I'm not being intimidating :colondollar:

Have you written your PS yet?
Original post by Tateco
I'm not arguing I'm just trying to understand why people might be intimidated so I can make sure I'm not being intimidating :colondollar:

Have you written your PS yet?

Fair enough; I definitely don't have a problem with you and its great to see hat you are consciously refraining from it XD

And I have written my PS :smile: Just a rough-ish draft, though. How about you?
Reply 1291

I have written my PS :smile: Just a rough-ish draft, though. How about you?

Yeah I have sort of written it, redrafted it and trying to tweak it a bit now, it's really difficult though because I'm not 100% sure what bits I need and what bits I don't, don't think I'll ever be happy with it to be honest :redface:
Reply 1292
Original post by thegenius31416
One of the main differences between good students and bad students is that the good students know how well they've done (whether well or badly in their eyes, they can give a good estimate of the mark).

Yeah especially for things like Maths :tongue: I never know how well I've done in subjects like Biology because sometimes the answers need to be really specific and the grade boundaries are always all over the place :frown:

You excited/apprehensive for results?

How about an outstandingly academic student who personally thinks that they have really screwed up (not the ones who say they have yet come out with brilliant grades) and have no idea of the grade they will achieve. This is especially true with the artsy subjects, where you really cant guesstimate, as such, as to how well you have done as the subject hasn't really got a 'right answer' as it were.

How about an average student who thinks they have done extremely well in his/her eyes and estimates that they have achieved ~90% but comes out with a C?

I don't particularly agree with your thesis tbh
Reply 1294
How about an outstandingly academic student who personally thinks that they have really screwed up (not the ones who say they have yet come out with brilliant grades) and have no idea of the grade they will achieve. This is especially true with the artsy subjects, where you really cant guesstimate, as such, as to how well you have done as the subject hasn't really got a 'right answer' as it were.

How about an average student who thinks they have done extremely well in his/her eyes and estimates that they have achieved ~90% but comes out with a C?

I think what he's trying to say is that generally 'clever' students are not naive or ignorant about the test they have done, whether they disclose it or not you can normally tell whether or not the test has gone well or not (even if it's just one extreme, and not a pinpoint in the middle). But with subjects like Maths, eager students can check their answers almost instantaneously and thus can get a very accurate estimate of their score.

I don't think it's possible to categorise people in extremes like the one you have suggested, though.
Original post by Tateco
I think what he's trying to say is that generally 'clever' students are not naive or ignorant about the test they have done, whether they disclose it or not you can normally tell whether or not the test has gone well or not (even if it's just one extreme, and not a pinpoint in the middle). But with subjects like Maths, eager students can check their answers almost instantaneously and thus can get a very accurate estimate of their score.

I don't think it's possible to categorise people in extremes like the one you have suggested, though.

Fair enough :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Yeah especially for things like Maths :tongue: I never know how well I've done in subjects like Biology because sometimes the answers need to be really specific and the grade boundaries are always all over the place :frown:

You excited/apprehensive for results?

I'm not really too bothered. Hopefully they won't be that bad :tongue:

If you've done enough practice (and of course, you need to have good teachers who know the mark schemes well which I know that not all students have), you should know how well you've done. This applies in particular to Maths, Sciences, Languages (you know if you understand what you're listening to/reading etc) and I would even say Economics.
If you've done enough practice (and of course, you need to have good teachers who know the mark schemes well which I know that not all students have), you should know how well you've done. This applies in particular to Maths, Sciences, Languages (you know if you understand what you're listening to/reading etc) and I would even say Economics.

LOL I'd have to disagree with you on Econ as I can never seem to gauge how well, or how not so well, I have done until I get the result :colondollar:
Reply 1299

You need to learn the definitions of bragging and boasting.

For a start, posting which draft I am on is not in anyway arrogant. In fact, I feel uncertain about my personal statement, thus the numerous drafts. How on earth you perceive that as boastful, or brilliant, I'll never know.

I'm not really sure why you're trawling through my posts, either, saying they're arrogant. This thread is to discuss applications - if you have a problem with people posting the breakdown and being intimidated by menial things, I suggest you go elsewhere.

I don't feel I have even mentioned how many books I've read, but you shouldn't see that as a problem. If you truly wanted to study economics, you'd understand that it's an interest, not a bragging right.

Latest

Trending

Trending