The Student Room Group

Can someone educate me on alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Innately_Hedonistic
2 pints to get drunk? pussy.

I was giving an example for a typical 17 year old. READ CAREFULLY you blind tw*at before calling me a pussy.
Reply 21
I had phases where I like a certain type of booze but lately I like my cider. Its the taste and also the effects later on I guess but I avoid getting drunk. lol
Reply 22
Oh, I am in the same position as you; the difference is that I don't particularly mind not drinking. I'm sure it's OK once in a while for the social aspect and if you're careful it looks quite fun. However so many people take it too far and end up in hospital, terribly sick and it may progress into an obsession. Contributing to many terrible things such as the things that can happen when you are completely drunk, ruined lives and families. (Those are the extremities). Once the alcohol is in your system it's easy for it escalate and your body will demand more. Apparently vodka is quite popular mixed with coke or other soft drinks. So is beer for males. I think that alcohol is a bit dangerous when it's abused; I will only drink when I am feel that I am ready only at special occassions and I will always measure the amount. Also, never mix alcoholic drinks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
I'm 17, and I usually drink wine (I can manage about 3/4 of a bottle), or I like vodka and coke. But someone who is new to drinking would probably get drunk on 2/3 cans, at least that's what new drinkers of my year have been like.
Just drink slowly and don't try shots yet, wait til you're a bit more used to it :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by bradshawi
Oh, I am in the same position as you; the difference is that I don't particularly mind not drinking. I'm sure it's OK once in a while for the social aspect and if you're careful it looks quite fun. However so many people take it too far and end up in hospital, terribly sick and it may progress into an obsession. Contributing to many terrible things such as the things that can happen when you are completely drunk, ruined lives and families. (Those are the extremities). Once the alcohol is in your system it's easy for it escalate and your body will demand more. Apparently vodka is quite popular mixed with coke or other soft drinks. So is beer for males. I think that alcohol is a bit dangerous when it's abused; I will only drink when I am feel that I am ready only at special occassions and I will always measure the amount. Also, never mix alcoholic drinks!

Whats wrong with you dude? such a buzz kill
Reply 25
Original post by Macnoob
Whats wrong with you dude? such a buzz kill

Lol, I don't mind other people drinking but the consequences can be bad. It's just not for me.
Reply 26
Original post by HRH2
I was giving an example for a typical 17 year old. READ CAREFULLY you blind tw*at before calling me a pussy.

Why the **** do you kick off with anyone who disagrees with you?

Jesus christ man, you need to chill out
Reply 27
peoples tolerances vary, but the one thing that wont vary is that everyone will bull**** about how much they drink :wink:

edit: take the above as a warning: dont try and drink as much as you hear people boasting about if you dont know your limits. the first time i drank, i tried to emulate the stories that id heard and i was not in a good way at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HRH2
Ok so, I'm 19 and so you get an idea. First of all people who are 17 are not legally allowed to consume alcohol. But everyone does it anyway. I would say for a 17 year old to get drunk, two pints of Strongbow (my favorite cider) would be enough but if you are a first time drinker then you should feel most of the effects of Alcohol after you have downed your first pint. Again, its different for girls and boys are girls generally have a smaller bladder, etc.

In terms of shots, every type of alcohol beverage has a different amount of alcohol in it. In terms of Vodka, which usually has 40 - 45% of alcohol, an average 17 year old need about 3/4 before getting drunk and a first time drinker would feel the effects in the first two shots I presume.

Of course there is the question of tolerance. If you drink on a regular basis, 3/4 times a week then you will have a higher tolerance to those that do not drink. Also the older you are, on a general basis the bigger your tolerance is.

If you go out for a party and want to mix in and absolutely have to drink then I suggest you eat something before so that it lines your stomach and keeps your booze from hitting you "hard". Also drink plenty of water after. A pint of beer or cider would be a good start and you shouldn't really be drunk, just getting the buzzing effect.

Happy Drinking. lol

lol two pints
Firstly, don't feel you have to drink because others always talk about it but if you are interested then that's fine too.

It's really difficult to answer a lot of those questions because as everyone has said people are completely different. There's also the amount of drunk you want to get, when I go to a party I like to get pretty damn drunk but a lot of people don't because they don't like to make a fool out of themselves or lose control etc.

The first time I drank was on new year when I was just turning 13 and I downed 5 glasses of champagne which got me pissed enough then. Then I started drinking Bacardi breezers (classy) had 5 at a friends birthday and puked a lot. So those were my first real encounters with alcohol but I was a lot younger than 17.

By the time I was 17 and going to regular parties and clubs, I'd drink vodka, cider, alcopops or something light like malibu with pineapple juice (which is lovely and not very strong btw).

Just try out what other people are having and see what you like the taste of. When you first start drinking you generally won't enjoy the taste of alcohol but it does grow on you.

Take it slow and have a glass of water in between each drink so you don't vom or get too bad a hangover.

Any other questions just ask! Good luck young one! :smile:
Original post by Jyrez
I started drinking when I was about 14 when I used to go out every weekend with my friends and get drunk. Nowadays (I'm 18) I only drink on special occasions, mainly because I'm into weight training and alcohol will interfere with my progress.

Why did this person get negs? Stopping drinking to pursue something = go for it.
Reply 31
Original post by TheSingingMute
lol two pints

For a 17 year old two pints of Strongbow should be enough. Thats what the whole sentence says.
Original post by HRH2
For a 17 year old two pints of Strongbow should be enough. Thats what the whole sentence says.

dw gave you a good ol' thumbs up for a solid reply
Reply 33
Thanks
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymous

How many pints does it take to get drunk on average?
Thanks!

If you're me two, if you're my friends many more.
This always leads to embarassing next day photos as I attempt to 'keep up'.
Especially if you have never really drank before don't do this. I can only really do it because I know I will be looked after.
If your at a party, people most likely won't be checking up on what you're drinking unless you make a point of it.

Also, don't do shots. They are the work of the devil.
Reply 35
Original post by Drewski

Not true. People under 18 are not allowed to purchase alcohol, consumption of alcohol is, however, perfectly legal for any age.

...Well, thats not strictly true for people under 18.

Police do have the unfortunate power to be able to take alcohol off you if you drink in public if you do not have proof of age. As I experienced with friends yesterday (where they made us pour them out...)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Youngpeopleandalcohol/DG_10026211

Some towns have alcohol-free zones where nobody can drink in public. Even where these aren’t in place the police can take away alcohol or move young people on if they have been drinking. They could even be fined or arrested.
Reply 36
Most people 17 don't have a clue what they're talking about with alcohol, though they like to think they do, so don't think they're all experts because they got drunk once on new years eve. but on another note, go to a party and try it! you'll find a drink you enjoy eventually, but obviously you mainly drink for the effects (well at 17 you do lol). if you don't like beer or cider try vodka...
People tend to drink whatever mixed with vodka, Jaegermeister, beer, WKDs (if you can't handle much alcohol!). As for how many it takes to get drunk, it's impossible to say because each individual is vastly different. Obviously, the more you drink the more you become tolerant of it so chances are, for someone who has never tried alcohol before, you won't be able to handle as much as some of your friends. One of my friends can handle 8 or 9 beers without getting even tipsy yet another starts to go silly after 1 and a half (of the same beer), so really there is a vast difference and it would be dangerous for you to drink to an "average" because you simply don't know what you can handle personally.

I'd suggest that, if you're desperate to start drinking, you do it at home first so you can figure out how much you can handle before you go and make an arse of yourself in a pub around people who will probably be too drunk themselves to worry about you. Either that, or go out with a small bunch of friends you trust to not push you past your limits and you know will take care of you just in case you do.

As for what you should drink, the examples I gave above are just examples. Don't drink what others do just because it's cool and you fancy getting drunk. Try different things and see what you enjoy. And if you don't like it, don't drink it just because everyone else does.

Getting drunk is not cool.
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, this is actually a serious question so no funny answers please.

I'm 17 and I have never gone to parties and drank alcohol. Nowadays, I can't go one day without hearing a conversation between people my age about alcohol. I can never join in these conversations because I don't drink myself and know absolutely nothing about alcohol.

Could someone just teach me stuff about alcohol. For example, what do people that are 17 generally drink? On average, how many pints do people drink at parties? How many pints does it take to get drunk on average? And anything else useful about alcohol which has not been covered?

Thanks!

Talk to Frank
Reply 39
OK, there is no 'average amount' that it takes someone to get drunk - It completely depends on the persons build, weight, how much they usually drink (i have found that since starting uni it takes more to get drunk than when I started) the only way to know your limits its to drink for yourself - but you shouldn't feel pressured to talk to your friends about boozing it up.

theres no right or wrong drink to choose when your young - it depends on taste. Personally I'll drink most things - drink what your happy to drink, be safe doing it and know your limits - especially when your under age. I don't know what else to say - try it for yourself, you'll soon find out. happy drinking!

Quick Reply

Latest