The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5760
Original post by cz100
Is there any way of finding how the marks are actually scaled? Or it it just an untold mystery like uniform marks?

Untold mystery!
Reply 5761
Original post by Beska
Untold mystery!

:sad: Do you know how many QR questions roughly needs to be answered correctly to achieve an average score?
Reply 5762
Original post by cz100
:sad: Do you know how many QR questions roughly needs to be answered correctly to achieve an average score?

Not a clue. The UKCAT generally is an enigma, to be honest.
Original post by cz100
Is there any way of finding how the marks are actually scaled? Or it it just an untold mystery like uniform marks?

I wish I knew D;
Reply 5764
Original post by Beska
Not a clue. The UKCAT generally is an enigma, to be honest.

It's a medical admissions secret. I just keep plodding through the questions then :sigh:
Reply 5765
Original post by Joseppea
I wish I knew D;

Don't we all.
Reply 5766
Original post by cz100

Don't worry about the QR it's a lot harder in the book than the actual, I know this as my friend done it recently (the one who got the 850 average), and he scored 900 on it and said it's just mental maths, should be fine :biggrin:
Reply 5767
Original post by Nator
Don't worry about the QR it's a lot harder in the book than the actual, I know this as my friend done it recently (the one who got the 850 average), and he scored 900 on it and said it's just mental maths, should be fine :biggrin:

Thing is, in the mock paper I forgot there were 10 exercises rather than 4, so timing didn't work out. Even so I was working at the fasted I could but probably would have skipped more to do the easier questions had I remembered the correct amount of questions!
Reply 5768
Original post by cz100
Thing is, in the mock paper I forgot there were 10 exercises rather than 4, so timing didn't work out. Even so I was working at the fasted I could but probably would have skipped more to do the easier questions had I remembered the correct amount of questions!

Oh loool fair enough, I wish it was 4 :rolleyes:
Reply 5769
Original post by Nator
Oh loool fair enough, I wish it was 4 :rolleyes:

Also mental maths to your friend may not mean the same as mental maths us :s-smilie:
Original post by Nator
Haha so you gonna give me the lowdown or what? :laugh:

It's embarrassing :colondollar:
Reply 5771
Original post by cz100
Also mental maths to your friend may not mean the same as mental maths us :s-smilie:

Well he's in my class so knows my maths ability and he said it's just mental maths so :smile:

Original post by Ilovemybaby
It's embarrassing :colondollar:

PM it to me? Quite curious now haha :biggrin:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Stop panicking quite so much about it will you :tongue:

In essence.. yes. If you get under the cut-off then you get rejected without interview.

However I prefer to look at it as a nicer Sheffield.. Sheffield's cut-off this year was ridiculously high at 717.5 ish (could be 712.5... either way it's high)
However with Sheffield even if you get over the cut-off you can be rejected without interview - I was rejected without interview with an average of 722.5 :colonhash:

With BATL, if you get over the cut-off (this year was around 635 average) then that's it.. you get an interview. So it's pretty good really :yep:

Don't worry too much about this cz.. scores are skewed to give a normal distribution so 50% right might not mean a score of 600.. it might mean a score of 635 for all we know :h:

Mind if I ask how you revised for the UKCAT?
Reply 5773
Original post by Nator

wthh, 850 ! :0
what did he get in each sections out of interest?
Reply 5774
Original post by Cleoleo
wthh, 850 ! :0
what did he get in each sections out of interest?

Ikr :laugh:
Was clean scoring, 900 in QR and AR, and 800 in DA and VR :smile:
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Mind if I ask how you revised for the UKCAT?

I used the "Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test and BMAT" book to learn what it was they actually wanted then I just went through the practice questions in there making sure I understood why the answers were like that when I got them wrong (especially for AR) then went through the practice tests on the UKCAT website :h:

As much practice as you can manage and just keep your fingers crossed and wear any lucky underwear on the day you do your test :crossedf:
Reply 5776
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I used the "Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test and BMAT" book to learn what it was they actually wanted then I just went through the practice questions in there making sure I understood why the answers were like that when I got them wrong (especially for AR) then went through the practice tests on the UKCAT website :h:

As much practice as you can manage and just keep your fingers crossed and wear any lucky underwear on the day you do your test :crossedf:

I was going to use the RBS pen I got during the Oxbridge conference to my BMAT for luck, but alas I brought it on work experience with me, and lent it to the doctor whose black pen ran out. Unfortunately when she went to talk to a patient's relative the patient took the pen off her and started writing with it and we thought it was best to leave her to it. Hopefully it's a good sign that I lost it during a hospital placement...
How important is work experience? Would one week shadowing a doctor be sufficient, and say a month or two doing voluntary work in a care home?

What do uni's look more at, the work experience...or grades + UKCAT score?
Original post by hash007
How important is work experience? Would one week shadowing a doctor be sufficient, and say a month or two doing voluntary work in a care home?

What do uni's look more at, the work experience...or grades + UKCAT score?

Universities will look at every aspect of your application before making a decision. To be successful an applicant must show a clear understanding of the role of doctors and medical students in society. This is usually illustrated by involvement in work experience in a healthcare environment (not necessarily a hospital).

I know of people who have got offers with a single day's worth of experience. Quality is more important than quantity :smile: You need to reflect on your experiences. What did you learn? How did you feel? Were any of your views challenged?
I really want to get 850+ on the UKCAT but i'm just finding it really hard to improve on it :frown: i keep practising with the timing and so forth, but i'm not improving much.....i've only gotten a bit faster at AR and DA :s

Latest