The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loulibelle
Hello! I'm new to TSR!! Anyway... medical school applications... three of my four options are in London, just how much more competitive is London compared to everywhere else?

Also, how many people do you reckon apply without straight A's for As level?

Hope everyone's well, EEK! :tongue:

London? It's gonna be pretty expensive down there accommodation wise, from what I've heard from my sister it tends to be more competitive down in London also :dontknow:

I hope people can apply without straight A's for AS, completely mucked up my maths core 2 paper. I'd be surprised if I got a C/D
Reply 5801
Original post by hash007
How many international students do you see on medicine courses typically? Is the odd one or two, or are there quite a lot? Also, are there a lot of mature students studying medicine too?

I'm assuming it varies by medical school.

In Cambridge theres a set quota for international students (as I assume most schools have as well). I don't know the exact figure, but I feel 15 (10%) of the clinical course won't be far amiss.

Plenty of mature students around 30-40 or so (includign grad students)
Hello! I'm new to TSR!! Anyway... medical school applications... three of my four options are in London, just how much more competitive is London compared to everywhere else?

Also, how many people do you reckon apply without straight A's for As level?

Hope everyone's well, EEK! :tongue:

Hello there :smile:

It is difficult to get accurate admissions statistics which can be compared to other medical schools. Aberdeen (which some would consider a relatively unpopular choice) had an applicant to place ratio of 11 to 1 in 2010. Every medical school is fiercely competitive, and every medical school will be viewing your individual, unique application. As a result predictions are not particularly fruitful :smile:

I would say most people will be predicted straight As That does not mean that if you are predicted say with a B you will definitely be at a disadvantage, you will need to do some detailed research concerning the institutions you are applying to, some universities care more about GCSE than AS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5803
Original post by GH
I swear doctors are the black holes of pen losses.
Lend your pen to doctors at your peril!

Pens are something which I do not lack, I have enough to start a shop so that's one thing I don't have to worry about.
Do textbook and reference books like the Collins Advanced Science and DK body book count as extra reading for Cambridge?
Original post by hash007
London? It's gonna be pretty expensive down there accommodation wise, from what I've heard from my sister it tends to be more competitive down in London also :dontknow:

I hope people can apply without straight A's for AS, completely mucked up my maths core 2 paper. I'd be surprised if I got a C/D

You shouldnt choose your med school depending on accommodation costs, there'll be bursaries(or w.e) if you can't afford it.
Original post by Limesasquatch
You shouldnt choose your med school depending on accommodation costs, there'll be bursaries(or w.e) if you can't afford it.

I'm not suggesting that at all, infact I want to go to a uni in/near London :smile:
I would just like to say... as unproductive as it is...

I AM SO SCARED!!! :eek:

That's all...:smile:
Hey wondered if you could help me out abit although this might only be a question for gappers/reapplicants.
This is a question solely on work experience (i know different unis look for different things so please don't give me this lecture thanks :smile: )
I just wanted to know if it is ever compulsory that you must have voluntary work experience
I'm currently working as a hca and will be doing this for a year (chemo ward). I do voluntarily instruct karate every week (but this is obviously not healthcare related) i did two weeks 2 years ago shadowing a GI team in a hospital and did got a gold award for contributing over 70hours of community service last year (entirely sports related). I doubt I'll be doing any healthcare realted voluntary stuff this year as I work full time and I instruct karate in the weekends

Would I be penalised (not trying to be so dramatic but couldn't find a better word :P ) for not "contributing to the community during my gap year" so to speak..
I'm just worried that i may get a question like, "So have you done any voluntary work experience this year at all?" at interview or something (if i get there) Just want to make sure i'm covering all the ground..
Apologies for the essay :smile:

*Virtual hug*
Reply 5809
Original post by Nator
Ikr :laugh:
Was clean scoring, 900 in QR and AR, and 800 in DA and VR :smile:

900 in AR :0 now that's wowwwww lol
Reply 5810

when is it ? :smile:
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
when is it ? :smile:

when is what?? applications?? UKCAT? BMAT?? SO MUCH TO KNOW!! haha :smile:
Reply 5812
Just to let you guys know that are probably writing your personal statements, there's a new medicine personal statements megathread here. :smile:
Reply 5813
Original post by Beska
Just to let you guys know that are probably writing your personal statements, there's a new medicine personal statements megathread here. :smile:

I sorely need this in my life. Ta :h:

Btw, your avatar reminds me of Panic! at the disco.
Original post by Beska

Nice one, I handed in my draft on Friday (after being told there was a deadline on thursday!). I expect this thread will come in handy.
Reply 5815
Original post by sablarrr
I sorely need this in my life. Ta :h:

Btw, your avatar reminds me of Panic! at the disco.

It's from the recentish House M.D. episode where he breaks into song!

Reply 5816
Original post by Beska

He actually looks pretty good, dressed as a dandy :tongue:

Oh he has that jazz album! No wonder they let him do that.
Original post by Beska

Thanks Beska!
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I used the "Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test and BMAT" book to learn what it was they actually wanted then I just went through the practice questions in there making sure I understood why the answers were like that when I got them wrong (especially for AR) then went through the practice tests on the UKCAT website :h:

As much practice as you can manage and just keep your fingers crossed and wear any lucky underwear on the day you do your test :crossedf:

Lol thanks soo very much :smile:
Original post by Beska

My God, Hugh Laurie is attractive

Latest

Trending

Trending