The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hobnob
Actually there's no better way of advertising the fact that you're not a student...:wink: Oxford is currently crawling with summer school students wearing Oxford hoodies.

Ooh, even better then, i can just walk in with my normal clothes and noone would suspect a thing :colone:

Agh, i was meant to do a load of revision last night, but ended up reading works by Voltaire and Baudelaire, they have quite cool names :redface: On a plus side, i'm now on my 2nd 'further reading' book :smile:
Original post by candide
Ha, mine aren't quite that clever! =P Though they are probably the "worst" job (bar university proffesors) for attempting to show one's schooling-related disadvantages and alienation from educational society - they're both teachers! XD

My mum teaches special needs but she says the most difficult pupil she's ever had to teach is me learning to drive! =L

Yeah, mine are university professors :redface: I clearly have educational disadvantages! Although they are very relaxed about my exams and things, which I suppose you wouldn't expect.

I wouldn't learn driving from my parents, I'd probably end up slamming the car door and leaving home. I don't think I'll learn to drive until after uni though, as I won't have a car til then at least and I'd get incredibly out of practice by then.

Original post by manic_fuzz
Ooh, even better then, i can just walk in with my normal clothes and noone would suspect a thing :colone:

Agh, i was meant to do a load of revision last night, but ended up reading works by Voltaire and Baudelaire, they have quite cool names :redface: On a plus side, i'm now on my 2nd 'further reading' book :smile:

I'd recommend getting a college hoodie, I've seen real students with them.

Spoiler

Original post by anyone_can_fly
Yeah, that's why I didn't bother applying to UNIQ - my parents both have PhDs and I don't get EMA, so even if I had rushed an application it would have been kinda pointless.

I get no EMA, both parents have degress, one has a degree + PHD (or dfill or something) from Oxford and I still got a place.
Yeah, mine are university professors :redface: I clearly have educational disadvantages! Although they are very relaxed about my exams and things, which I suppose you wouldn't expect.

Spoiler

Ah i'm so jealous! My family are like all vocational, i had to beg my nan to take me to the museum when i was little because my mum refused to go into any because she hated them :lol:

And oh yes, if i actually got in i wouldn't be able to resist buying something, i'd probably wear it all the time i was back in my home town :colone:
Original post by tgarrud
I get no EMA, both parents have degress, one has a degree + PHD (or dfill or something) from Oxford and I still got a place.

Really? How did they decide who to give places to then? I thought it was about your background. :redface:

manic_fuzz
x

Don't be jealous, they're both in the same department, so I've had to put up with discussions of anthropology and Jane's thesis and who's giving the kinship lectures over the breakfast table for sixteen years. When I was little I thought everyone did a PhD! :biggrin:

Don't be jealous, they're both in the same department, so I've had to put up with discussions of anthropology and Jane's thesis and who's giving the kinship lectures over the breakfast table for sixteen years. When I was little I thought everyone did a PhD! :biggrin:

:lol: Oo aa, if that were true then we'd have quite an over-qualified work-force :tongue:
Reply 3466

Are they gun-toting Indiana Jones-style trekking in the jungle Bruce Parry anthropologists?

Do they dissapear off to some far and distant eldorado and return with medicinal herbs and jungle wives in tow?

Or are they like the only anthropologist I know, who studies gaidhlig-language use in the workplace. Yawn!
Original post by candide
Are they gun-toting Indiana Jones-style trekking in the jungle Bruce Parry anthropologists?

Do they dissapear off to some far and distant eldorado and return with medicinal herbs and jungle wives in tow?

Or are they like the only anthropologist I know, who studies gaidhlig-language use in the workplace. Yawn!

The latter, I'm afraid. :sleep:
Yeah, that's why I didn't bother applying to UNIQ - my parents both have PhDs and I don't get EMA, so even if I had rushed an application it would have been kinda pointless.
I got in - and don't get EMA and have a parent with a PhD.

I think I got in because my secondary school was rather underpeforming. (And the subject I applied for wasn't hideously competitive.)

Here's UNIQ's selection criteria (it doesn't consider EMA or your parents). You also have to write a mini Personal Statement.

It's quite different to the Sutton Trust critera (which I didn't get in to)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fluteflute
I got in - and don't get EMA and have a parent with a PhD.

I think I got in because my secondary school was rather underpeforming. (And the subject I applied for wasn't hideously competitive.)

Here's UNIQ's selection criteria (it doesn't consider EMA or your parents). You also have to write a mini Personal Statement.

It's quite different to the Sutton Trust critera (which I didn't get in to)

Oops. :redface: My school's a pretty good state one and I live just outside one of the poshest bits of Edinburgh, though, so I doubt I'd have got in anyway. Like I said before, though, the main reason I didn't apply was that I hadn't heard of it until the day before the deadline. If I'd had longer I would have applied. When are you going off? Or have you just got back? Hope you have fun!

Oops. :redface: My school's a pretty good state one and I live just outside one of the poshest bits of Edinburgh, though, so I doubt I'd have got in anyway. Like I said before, though, the main reason I didn't apply was that I hadn't heard of it until the day before the deadline. If I'd had longer I would have applied. When are you going off? Or have you just got back? Hope you have fun!

That's one of the few useful things I got from the Gifted and Talented sessions at college - the knowledge that UNIQ existed! I'm off a week today! Thanks, I'm sure I will :smile:
Reply 3471
The latter, I'm afraid. :sleep:

Oh well, still you should persuade them to inculcate themselves in some Polynesian tribe, get elected as Chief and Chieftainess, and hence make you a tribal princess! =L

...I suppose, sadly, with "globalization" and such like, glamthropology is coming to end, there being fewer and fewer weird and wonderful tribes to study ... every fortnight, an indigenous language dies :frown:
Original post by such_a_lady
x

I only just saw today that you'd sent me your essay but i just read it!

:biggrin: It's really really good! Your writing is so eloquent and flows so well, and is somehow also brimming with intellect and knowledge with-out seeming contrived or losing understanding to someone like me who doesn't understand most long words :lol: Whatever is this essay for? It seems far above the standard expected for A-level German, it's far better constructed than the essays of most of my A-level englit class :rolleyes: And it's directed me to be interested in German more now, i've always assumed most German history and literature would be aimed at WWII (which doesn't interest me in the slightest) but evidently (and obviously) not, i love classical mythology! Only a few days ago was i discussing Prometheus with my class :tongue: Although i must say, Goethe's contradiction between his poems is also somewhat interesting! I listened to an online version of Prometheus, i like the way it sounds so emotive! I have trouble sounding emotive in French with-out sounding like i'm spitting my Rs :lol: You've installed some appreciation of German in me... I may have to learn un petit peu myself :colondollar:

Oh... and i love the sound 'pft' :colone:
True! She could easily pull off that she already studies there! :lol:

Oooh yes, though, i decided not to go on mine :colondollar:

:lol:

Yesterday I was buying watercolour pencils and the guy who ran the shop said, "There are actually cheaper pencils, but they're for secondary school students, so the ones you bought are much better."

I started laughing and told him I wasn't a university student or anything and he seemed quite confused. :cool:

Spoiler

O:

That hoodie actually looks quite nice... Merton's crest looks pretty like that. XD Unfortunately all my college choices' crests and colours don't really appeal to me. :tongue: Well, except Jesus'. You can't beat three adorable stags. :wink:
I only just saw today that you'd sent me your essay but i just read it!

:biggrin: It's really really good! Your writing is so eloquent and flows so well, and is somehow also brimming with intellect and knowledge with-out seeming contrived or losing understanding to someone like me who doesn't understand most long words :lol: Whatever is this essay for? It seems far above the standard expected for A-level German, it's far better constructed than the essays of most of my A-level englit class :rolleyes: And it's directed me to be interested in German more now, i've always assumed most German history and literature would be aimed at WWII (which doesn't interest me in the slightest) but evidently (and obviously) not, i love classical mythology! Only a few days ago was i discussing Prometheus with my class :tongue: Although i must say, Goethe's contradiction between his poems is also somewhat interesting! I listened to an online version of Prometheus, i like the way it sounds so emotive! I have trouble sounding emotive in French with-out sounding like i'm spitting my Rs :lol: You've installed some appreciation of German in me... I may have to learn un petit peu myself :colondollar:

Oh... and i love the sound 'pft' :colone:

Oh wow, thankyou so much!!! That really means a lot :smile::smile::smile::smile: My German teacher just kind of told me to compare the poems, that was it :tongue: I had to do all the research into the literature movements myself, but it was hugely enjoyable :biggrin: Thanks, that's really cheered me up, as my evening's been ruined :frown:
Has anyone else on here not fully decided yet? I really want to but I am feeling the pressure noo!
Original post by Albertine
Has anyone else on here not fully decided yet? I really want to but I am feeling the pressure noo!

Decided? on what?
Oh wow, thankyou so much!!! That really means a lot :smile::smile::smile::smile: My German teacher just kind of told me to compare the poems, that was it :tongue: I had to do all the research into the literature movements myself, but it was hugely enjoyable :biggrin: Thanks, that's really cheered me up, as my evening's been ruined :frown:

:lol: Ahah no problem, i just say what i think :tongue: and oh my, you obviously don't do anything half-heartedly! If Oxford don't see your passion for German then i don't know who will O.o

:biggrin: And oh i'm glad, but how come your evening's been ruined! D: Think of happy things... like rainbows :lol:
:lol: Ahah no problem, i just say what i think :tongue: and oh my, you obviously don't do anything half-heartedly! If Oxford don't see your passion for German then i don't know who will O.o

:biggrin: And oh i'm glad, but how come your evening's been ruined! D: Think of happy things... like rainbows :lol:

Well today with my friend Naomi I was meant to be starting my Multinational Youth Exchange thing with a 2 hour welcome session in Ealing where we all introduce ourselves and stuff. Let me paste you the email I sent to my teacher.

Hi Mrs -----,

You're probably quite surprised that I'm emailing you as technically I should be in Ealing right now. However, today has been a total disaster; nothing but problem after problem.

First of all, Naomi's parents expressly forbade her to travel on the Tube at night (the journey is an hour from Farnborough to Waterloo, and then forty minutes on the tube from Waterloo to Ealing, and then a walk to the university), and after many phone calls to her and to the organiser, Caroline, it was agreed that Naomi's mother would accompany us for the whole journey tonight. Naomi admitted that that was her fault as she should have planned in advance, but the organisers didn't seem to have realised that there would be two seventeen year old girls walking around West London alone, in the dark, at 10 at night. We will have to do the same next Friday, which will be worse as all the party-goers will be around, and Caroline suggested that we check into the nearby YMCA and travel back on Saturday instead of Friday at 11pm, but I have to start work at 7am on Saturday morning.

When we got to the station to buy the tickets, it turned out that each ticket cost £78 so I had to put about £5 on top. That wasn't too bad, but these season tickets do not include Underground. We have to take the tube from Waterloo to a Zone 6 station, which costs £4 per single fare. Two journeys a day for five days will come to £40, not including transport to the Natural History Museum, so altogether we each have to pay about £50 of our own money simply to get to the university and back every day. I don't have that kind of money to spend on Tube tickets. If we had known a month ago that the money we would be given from the school would not cover Underground transport, we could have applied for 16-18 Oystercards which would cut the cost in half, but each application takes three weeks and so it looks quite unlikely that we will be able to get one. We were under the impression that everything would be covered by the school, and I especially probably would not have signed up if I had known that I would be expected to contribute £50 or more just for transport.

Then, the 1808 train which we were supposed to take to Waterloo was delayed and then cancelled at the last moment. I rang Caroline to explain that we wouldn't be coming that evening because we had received no information about why it was cancelled and whether there would be a replacement service, and therefore it would be pointless to wait half an hour only to see the next train cancelled- even if we took the 1838 train, by the time we would arrive in Waterloo it would be 1938, after the tube journey it would be 2020, and after walking to the coffee shop it would be about 2045: we would have to leave at 2130 anyway in order to catch the right train home from Waterloo, and therefore it wouldn't really be a good idea to travel for two hours in the rain simply to spend forty five minutes there. Of course, I was really really upset because I was so looking forward to it and really wanted to meet everyone; I hate being the newcomer the next day when everyone has already met each other, but there had just been sign after sign and we were too frustrated and upset, and decided between us that it would be better to go home, go to bed and be there early the next day instead. Caroline had been so nice and helpful up till that phone call, when she started saying that people had flown in from Europe, and that some flights had been cancelled and that somehow they managed to fly in today instead of yesterday, and therefore she found it astounding that we couldn't manage to get into London from Farnborough, even though when she had been on the phone with Naomi earlier she was quite surprised at how far we had to travel so early in the morning. I tried to explain that it wasn't quite the same, as the people flying in had a whole two-day window of when they could arrive, whereas we had to be there within 8-9pm, and still had to travel home again at night unlike the others who had host families waiting for them and responsible for their safety, while we would be on the Tube at twenty to eleven at night, and that we really had tried, but everything had gone horribly wrong, but she really wasn't very understanding and actually left me feeling very upset, even though it was out of my control what had happened. I keep looking at the clock wondering what they're all doing and I feel absolutely dreadful, but I suppose all we can do is arrive early tomorrow (we're getting the 7am train) and hope that we're still included in the group.

I'm very worried about the ticket issue and don't know if I will have enough money to participate throughout the entire week, and I've been made to feel very guilty about missing this evening. Hopefully you have some advice or suggestions.
Well today with my friend Naomi I was meant to be starting my Multinational Youth Exchange thing with a 2 hour welcome session in Ealing where we all introduce ourselves and stuff. Let me paste you the email I sent to my teacher.

Oh dear! :frown: That sounds dreadful. I hope you're feeling better now, though; I think everyone has days where things can't seem to go right. I think you guys made the right choice in not going that day in the end, best to start afresh. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending