The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
According to my friends who have seen it in 3D, the 3D didn't make much difference. I'm not sure about going to an Imax, but I thought the film was fine at a normal cinema in 2D so I would save your money. The cinema is expensive enough without paying £18 for just the ticket. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kovu07
According to my friends who have seen it in 3D, the 3D didn't make much difference. I'm not sure about going to an Imax but I thought the film was fine at a normal cinema in 2D.

what about in terms of seeing the film on an super-size 25m sized screen? not too fussed about 3D anyway, apparently there is little 3D content so it doesn't matter... but experience-wise - is the film epic enough for the imax screen experience?
Reply 2082
Original post by prince_of_paupers
what about in terms of seeing the film on an super-size 25m sized screen? not too fussed about 3D anyway, apparently there is little 3D content so it doesn't matter... but experience-wise - is the film epic enough for the imax screen experience?

The film was pretty epic, lots of battle scenes, so it would look brilliant on a 25m screen. However, in my opinion it's the atmosphere of the cinema that makes it epic, not the size of the screen. :smile::smile:
Original post by zjs

I thought the Forbbiden Forest duel and the ensuing ten minutes or so (excluding the scene in Harry's mind) was definitely one of the most emotional alongside the Snape scene in the series so far, and was powerful as emotional moments go.

I agree, well if you can call it a duel. :tongue:

King's Cross was a huge disappointment. Felt like bad special effects and the whole scene between Dumbledore and Harry was just lacking in emotion or explanation. Although the baby Voldy soul was creepy.

Loved Snape's memory. Though you can tell they had to spell it several times that Harry was a horcrux.

I think it's easy enough to understand, though you would definitely have needed to see Part I to have any idea what they were doing at the beginning.

But even then a lot of things were glossed over such as why Harry survived the Killing Curse. I can't recall Dumbledore giving an explanation as to that even though several things were offered up in the book (Elder Wand allegiance and mother's protection in Voldemort's blood).

I might have missed it?

I thought the final battle wasn't anywhere near as epic as it could've been. I was expecting a Star Wars-esque epic duel, that I felt they've actually pulled off better in previous Harry Potter films.

What about the epilogue? :holmes:

I would have been a bit disappointed if it had been a Star Wars-esque duel. Harry doesn't have the magical ability to take on Voldemort. That much is clear. Even looking back at previous duels between Dumbledore and Voldemort where Dumbledore barely held off Voldemort despite possessing the Elder Wand. It could have been more epic though in other ways by having people spectating, having an explanation of the many failings of Voldemort through emotional flashbacks and then what we got in the actual film followed by a celebration.

The falling of the cliff/building was a bit meh as was the bursting into little pieces.

The epilogue was okay (best thing was the music). The actors did not look older. :colonhash: Older Draco actually brought out some laughs and Ron, despite looking exactly the same, had a bit of a belly going. :mmm:
There were also a lot of humorous parts in it too including with Filch. And when McGonagall says 'I've always wanted to use that spell." :rofl:
Reply 2085
Original post by I Persia I
Tonks was about to tell Harry about something but Moody interrupts them and says "we'll have time for a cosy chat later" which I think is the baby but we never DO hear it.

Yeah you're right, thats the closest we get to it! :frown:
Reply 2086
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I agree, well if you can call it a duel. :tongue:

King's Cross was a huge disappointment. Felt like bad special effects and the whole scene between Dumbledore and Harry was just lacking in emotion or explanation. Although the baby Voldy soul was creepy.

Loved Snape's memory. Though you can tell they had to spell it several times that Harry was a horcrux.

Although the thread contains spoilers, and most people have read the books, I wanted to leave the interpretation of what happened in the film fairly open. :wink2:

I agree. It almost seemed like they were trying to suggest he'd gone to Heaven; what with all the white and the cloud-like surroundings. It didn't particularly resemble anything in the background, certainly not enough that Harry would have been able to make it out as King's Cross station, anyway.

Thought Snape's memory was done very well, yeah. It was a bonus for me because I'd actually forgotten the final twists concerning Snape, so it was nice to have them revealed again. :awesome: The whole "like a pig to the slaughter" thing made Dumbledore's intentions for Harry a lot more exploitative than I ever remember them being presented in the book though, if I had to pick a criticism.

I suppose they didn't want anyone to miss it, given how important a point it was, though it did seem strange given that he told Ron and Hermione all of two minutes later.

Ape Gone Insane
But even then a lot of things were glossed over such as why Harry survived the Killing Curse. I can't recall Dumbledore giving an explanation as to that even though several things were offered up in the book (Elder Wand allegiance and mother's protection in Voldemort's blood).

I might have missed it?

Well, they did refer to Harry's mother's love being what protected Harry in other films, but I can't remember them referring to it directly in this instalment. The Elder Wand allegiance was brought up right at the end, when Harry explains it to Ron and Hermione after the duel with Voldemort, but didn't relate it to Harry surviving the Killing Curse.

Ape Gone Insane
I would have been a bit disappointed if it had been a Star Wars-esque duel. Harry doesn't have the magical ability to take on Voldemort. That much is clear. Even looking back at previous duels between Dumbledore and Voldemort where Dumbledore barely held off Voldemort despite possessing the Elder Wand. It could have been more epic though in other ways by having people spectating, having an explanation of the many failings of Voldemort through emotional flashbacks and then what we got in the actual film followed by a celebration.

The falling of the cliff/building was a bit meh as was the bursting into little pieces.

I didn't mean it like the two of them evenly matched and endlessly attacking and parrying so much as having the duel take place while other events were going on. Although that sort of is what they did, there was the initial locking of the wands (no pun intended) then a cut away, with the purpose to show the destruction of the last horcrux, before cutting back to Voldemort and his curse being reflected back onto him. Literally anything to prolong it and emphasis it would've been nice. Given that this is the final showdown that all the books have been leading up to, it wasn't suitably epic. It should've occupied more screen time, I think, given that they went to the 'trouble' of splitting The Deathly Hallows into two parts.

I thought it was a little ridiculous, the way it was presented. Harry casually strolled up and gave him a hug, with Voldemort having far too much opportunity to have attacked him in the time for it to seem realistic. I thought it was good that he exploded into ash, as if he'd been dead already, but didn't particularly like the cliched nature of the whole head back and screaming at the sky approach.

Ape Gone Insane
The epilogue was okay (best thing was the music). The actors did not look older. :colonhash: Older Draco actually brought out some laughs and Ron, despite looking exactly the same, had a bit of a belly going. :mmm:

Yeah, that was the problem; Rupert Grint and Bonnie Wright especially.
Reply 2087
Original post by Snavej
They didnt! I checked and they never did. Not happy at all! Its like in the third one, they never actually say James was an animagus at all! Bloody awful!

omg I remember that. It basically ruined the whole concept behind Harry's Patronus - I don't think they said it was him & Remus & co that created the Mauderer's map either! grrrr.
Obviously there were a lot of differences, but there was always going to be :s-smilie: I loved the film for what it was. The books and films are different, so they have to be appreciated separately.

The film was perfect though :love:
Reply 2089
Just saw it, and feel really depressed now, not because I didn't like it - I thought it was amazing - just that it's all over now. It's been like a constant in my life for the past decade or so, like my whole childhood.

I lolled so much though when it showed the memory of Snape hugging Lilly's body. Don't know why, just couldn't stop!

Now I feel the urge to re-read all the books. Feel empty now tbh! Nothing to look forward to, and never going to be able to look forward to the next book or film being released. DEPRESSED.

EDIT: For all the people nitpicking, of course it wasn't going to be detail-perfect. I think they adapted it excellently for a visual conclusion!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2090
Original post by nadiah
omg I remember that. It basically ruined the whole concept behind Harry's Patronus - I don't think they said it was him & Remus & co that created the Mauderer's map either! grrrr.

Thinking it about it... They didnt... Bloody hell... I feel like crying
Original post by Snavej
Thinking it about it... They didnt... Bloody hell... I feel like crying

I'm in the process of downloading all the games on my PC so I can finish them, if I remember rightly COS and POA were amazing. :cry:
Reply 2092
I'm in the process of downloading all the games on my PC so I can finish them, if I remember rightly COS and POA were amazing. :cry:

Ah the games... PS was good :smile: nice memories...
Reply 2093
Original post by U.S Lecce
I just watched the harry potter for the first time today, it was the first movie. My verdict, it was a bit "meh". :s-smilie:

Trust me, it picks up. I re-watched the series in the run up to the last film, and the first two are soooo cheesy. The acting is quite poor, and it all seems kind of superficial and synthetic, but they're so cute! And it's a nice, kind of "classic" introduction into the wizarding world.

Films 3+ have a different director, who takes a much more sophisticated, professional approach. I think the series improves dramatically, particularly from film 5+. It's well worth continuing with it!
Crabbe couldn't be in it at all.
Jamie Waylett's Drug charges took care of that :rolleyes:
Original post by ConnorB
Crabbe couldn't be in it at all.
Jamie Waylett's Drug charges took care of that :rolleyes:

Haha, he had a big stash of weed in his house haha. They put Zabini in it instead, at first I actually thought they were tryna' pass off a black guy as Crabbe.
Reply 2096
Did anybody see the bit where Harry suddenly jumps back to life, and there's a shot of the shocked crowd and George turns around mouthing 'Fred' to tell his brother, before realising that he isn't there?

:cry:
Original post by choly7
Did anybody see the bit where Harry suddenly jumps back to life, and there's a shot of the shocked crowd and George turns around mouthing 'Fred' to tell his brother, before realising that he isn't there?

No I didn't, well spotted.
Original post by choly7

Reply 2098
No I didn't, well spotted.

Here's a little GIF I found of it but I'm not sure if you can tell, or if it works... :biggrin:

Spoiler

It's not really long enough to tell, but he does say Fred :biggrin:
Reply 2099
Original post by LaughingBro
The book said Cho Chang was really pretty!!!

ha!!!!!!:wink::wink::wink:

Quick Reply

Latest