OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Mixed session tonight.

Press:

65 x 1
75 x 1
79 x f
75 x f

Funny story here. 65 went up really smoothly. Tried 70 next, or so I though - instead of changing the 2.5s for 5s to make 70kg total weight (20kg bar, 2 x 20kg plates, 2 x 5kg plates), but after I had the 5s on, I then put the 2.5s back on! 75 was a struggle to get up, although at the time I thought it was only 70, which pissed me off. I put a 2kg on each end thinking it was 74kg, as I should make this given that it's under my PR, but it was actually 79 that I tried. Didn't get very far, lol. Removed the 2s from each side and tried what I thought was 70 again but was actually 75, again failed. Was pissed off at this point, only realised I misloaded when I was stripping the bar.

Speed press:

40 x 3
40 x 3
40 x 3
40 x 3
40 x 3
40 x 3

Done Westside style, i.e. 1 minute rest after each set.

Deadlifts:

170 x 7

Failed eighth. But still quite happy with this. Form again wasn't great. Felt it too much in my lower back and not enough in my quads and hamstrings.

Wasn't feeling that great today either. Was seriously considering bailing after the presses. Glad I manned up, though. Moral of the story: man up!
Reply 861
Nice DLing, have you pulled 200 yet? 170 is what I'm hoping to hit in first comp lol :redface:
Reply 862
pressing 79, wut, I am jelly
Original post by Adidas90
Nice DLing, have you pulled 200 yet? 170 is what I'm hoping to hit in first comp lol :redface:

Yes I pulled 200 back in January.

Original post by a_t
pressing 79, wut, I am jelly

I failed it.
Reply 864
Original post by Smack

Nice going. Conventional I take it? I do like a narrow sumo atm as it feels to be the strongest position for me to pull in, I don't know why. My biggest issue is keeping the bar close to me throughout the lift and also not letting hips rise too quickly off the floor. I did a vid the other day and hips go up a few inches before the bar even moves, and my shoulders seem to be almost in front of the bar. You had any of these problems before? Any solutions/cues/exercises?
Reply 865
Original post by Smack

I failed it.

75 is pretty good though! I doubt I'll hit that until 2012

Original post by Smack

Got my old PB again. 170 was probably the hardest as I fell out of line a bit, hips went forward and weight shifted onto toes about half way up, or thereabouts. 175 was quite smooth, although by no means easy. I'm not into speculation so I won't say that I could have definitely go either another rep or four plates, but it didn't feel all out. Hardest part overall was probably how the weight felt on my back.

I'm lifting less than you but I know what you mean about the way it feels, like your entire upper body is just getting completely compressed
(edited 12 years ago)
Nice going. Conventional I take it? I do like a narrow sumo atm as it feels to be the strongest position for me to pull in, I don't know why. My biggest issue is keeping the bar close to me throughout the lift and also not letting hips rise too quickly off the floor. I did a vid the other day and hips go up a few inches before the bar even moves, and my shoulders seem to be almost in front of the bar. You had any of these problems before? Any solutions/cues/exercises?

Yes, done properly i.e. conventional.

I have had those problems before. I haven't really done anything to try and cure it, though. Focus on keeping the chest up and leaning back, see if that helps. That's what I'm going to try.

Original post by a_t
75 is pretty good though! I doubt I'll hit that until 2012

I can actually do 76. :tongue:
Okay session this afternoon - well, probably one of the best sessions I've had with only two meals in me before hand, actually.

Squats:

160 x 1
170 x 1
177 x 1
160 x 2
150 x 5

All time squat PR. Wasn't all out, but not even going to speculate on what I had in me. Wasn't easy either; form felt a bit worse today than last Sunday. Happy with the last set, too.

Push press:

80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x f
95 x f
70 x 4
70 x 3
70 x 2
70 x 2

First time push pressing properly in a while. Hit an all time PR, but missed bodyweight, twice. Difficulty came from the fact that I've not supported that weight in front of me in a long time; felt very heavy on wrists, etc, thus wasn't making full use of leg drive. I'm going to try and get some volume in with 80-90 for a while - that'll get me used to using leg drive and also should make the weights feel lighter in my hands.

Curls, stretching, home.
Reply 868
Strong PR's. Good job man.
Cheers brah.
Reply 870
Bet 90 overhead felt good. 2 plates would feel orgasmic. Good job
I'm fairly indifferent. I don't psyche myself up in the gym, nor am I ever really happy. My body and mind feel good after a good PR or a good session but I'm still indifferent and that's the way I'll always be.
Reply 872
lol u weird. You need to feel like a million phucking pounds after you hit PB weight, then go home and press your missus for a clean set of ten whilst demolishing a takeaway
Cold and stoic is the way. Feeling like you're the ****ing kingpin after you struggle to lift a light weight for a 1RM is what the American weightlifting team do.
Reply 874
I suppose it's a good attitude to have. Don't get me wrong, I don't hit a PB then run around the room doing this;

But abit of self-appreciation is always good. Maybe it's just cos you're scottish. Have you ever had a go at shifting one of dem dere cabers? (sp?)
I have the longest running bog because I am constantly flushing
I realise now how much Smack's just like the others, cold and distant. And many people are like that, women for sure, they're like a union.
I suppose it's a good attitude to have. Don't get me wrong, I don't hit a PB then run around the room doing this;

But abit of self-appreciation is always good. Maybe it's just cos you're scottish. Have you ever had a go at shifting one of dem dere cabers? (sp?)

I haven't tried a caber before.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
I realise now how much Smack's just like the others, cold and distant. And many people are like that, women for sure, they're like a union.

:confused:
Okay session tonight. Was feeling pretty crappy tonight so wasn't expecting much. Triceps and upper back fried from Sunday; legs and hips also feeling it a bit.

Press:

60 x 2
65 x 1
70 x 1

Was quite a grinder, due to triceps. Didn't try any more, because 70kg is still over 90%.

Speed press:

45 x 3
45 x 3
45 x 3
45 x 3
45 x 3
45 x 3

Later sets not as fast as first ones. Triceps feeling the fatigue.

Deadlifts:

175 x 6 - failed 7th.

Was almost about to pussy out and do speed pulls, but decided against it and manned up. Glad that I did because that's a rep PB. Form also felt better: more quad drive to start with, although still not enough hamstrings on the lockout, but an improvement nonetheless.
Short one but a good one.

Paused squats:

110 x 2
120 x 2
130 x 2
140 x 2
150 x 2

Both a paused squat PR (10kg plus an extra rep) and a beltless squat PR (extra rep), and not an absolute grinder either.

Press:

60 x 2
65 x 1
70 x 1
75 x 1

Last rep was quite a grinder. Usually I need smaller jumps between 70 and 75, and I also never wore my wrist wraps. But doesn't really matter as I was warming up for push pressing. You can get both push pressing and strict pressing in the same session with minimal time by using the strict press as a warm up to the push press, and you can still go 95% plus on the strict press. Plus 60, 65 and 70 felt very light on the shoulders due to the push pressing.

Push press:

80 x 2
85 x 1
90 x 1
92 x 1
94 x f
94 x 1 - 10s hold at top

Nice PB there. Overhead is officially more than my bench now.

Quick Reply

Latest