The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Not seen you around much lately.

How does it feel watching them together? Do you find the tone and feel vary a lot on an extreme level? Since there was after all different directors involved which makes the overall experience and flow disjointed.

Apparently Del Toro was rumoured to direct Half-Blood Prince which would have been fantastic. Alas...

Hey, how you doing - stopped posting as much during exam season and haven't really got back into it :erm: - I've gone from making several posts a day to none! :tongue:

They certainly get a lot more intense. Especially the third one in comparison to the first one, it's almost a horror film! :colondollar:

Didn't think I'd enjoy the films as much as I am. Watching the fourth one today. Can't wait.
Original post by Roobsa
Snape, or rather Alan Rickman, was by far the best thing about HP7.2. Neville was pretty badass too.

On a completely different note, does anyone know any films or documentaries about cycling?

There is a great documentary about Tom Simpson, sadly I can't remember the name. I am sure that it would be quite easy to find.
Reply 3402

Spoiler

Welcome to the society and chat thread. Feel free to discuss, erm, films. :h:

Thanks Ape.

Recommend me some good movies init
Reply 3403
Original post by elisabethbridge
:lol: Awesome.

Watched Say Anything... the other day. I must say it was a really good take on the classic teen romance story. Especially for a debut direction/script. Still yet to see Jerry Maguire from Cameron Crowe's repertoire. I just can't get over the fact that I find Tom Cruise highly annoying. It is one of the iconic, often-quoted films though, so, worth a watch?

Also, going to stop procrastinating and actually make that trip to the cinema this week I've been planning for a while now.

In my opinion, it's a good but sometimes overrated film (I didn't think Cuba Gooding Jr. was that good - though it's been a while since I watched it myself, so perhaps I should re-watch and re-evaluate). Worth a watch, yes.
Reply 3404
Original post by The Stig
They certainly get a lot more intense. Especially the third one in comparison to the first one, it's almost a horror film! :colondollar:

It's hardly like a horror film; it just reflects the increasingly darker tones of the books as they progressed.

Original post by Abiraleft
In my opinion, it's a good but sometimes overrated film (I didn't think Cuba Gooding Jr. was that good - though it's been a while since I watched it myself, so perhaps I should re-watch and re-evaluate). Worth a watch, yes.

Cuba Gooding Jr. did capture the character extremely well, and portrayed arrogance, anger, love, happiness and sadness to a tee.

Part of what made it such a good performance is that he didn't steal the limelight from Cruise. He acted him off screen in every scene they were in together, certainly, but it didn't feel like he was a man who wanted the lead role and was sidelined into a supporting actor, as those acting in that capacity often seem to be.
is anyone here counting how many films have they watched so far??
Reply 3406
Coooooool.

Reply 3408
Original post by Deshi
Has anyone here seen Tristan + Isolde and is it any good?

Whaaat, why would someone neg me for asking this question? :colonhash:

Anyway, I watched this film yesterday and it was pretty decent. Could've had more development on the relationship between the two main characters and James Franco did look a bit out of place, but it was a decent film, with a considerable amount of action as well.

I think I'm going to give Arn: The Knight Templar a watch soon.

I also finished reading "Northern Lights" yesterday so gave The Golden Compass a watch. The film was so much worse after reading the book. They miss so much out and even re-ordered some of the events in the book :nothing:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
Whaaat, why would someone neg me for asking this question? :colonhash:

Anyway, I watched this film yesterday and it was pretty decent. Could've had more development on the relationship between the two main characters and James Franco did look a bit out of place, but it was a decent film, with a considerable amount of action as well.

I think I'm going to give Arn: The Knight Templar a watch soon.

I also finished reading "Northern Lights" yesterday so gave The Golden Compass a watch. The film was so much worse after reading the book. They miss so much out and even re-ordered some of the events in the book :nothing:

Probably one of the long term residents who don't enjoy any post- especially questions- that isn't decked in hyperbolic, unforumesque adjectives.
Doesn't show much.

Phalanges
x

You have a new friend: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=833185 :awesome:

That is a direct reference to Bones. Even got the little picture of David Boreanaz.
Original post by The Stig
Hey, how you doing - stopped posting as much during exam season and haven't really got back into it :erm: - I've gone from making several posts a day to none! :tongue:

Didn't think I'd enjoy the films as much as I am. Watching the fourth one today. Can't wait.

Yeah, I can see that. The third film is probably the darkest of the series which contrasts with, I feel, HBP and Chamber of Secrets being the darkest books. Alfonso Cuarón did a great job with it.

Original post by zircom
Thanks Ape.

Recommend me some good movies init

Need to be more specific about genres, my man.

Original post by pinacio
is anyone here counting how many films have they watched so far??

I tried. IMDB have this list you can create but I got bored. :emo: Do you have a figure for yourself?

Original post by Deshi

It ripped the heart and soul out of the book. Absolute atrocity.
Reply 3413

:sadnod:

When I first watched the Golden Compass a few years ago I remember finding it confusing and as a result not very good. Now that I've read the book it's so much worse, they left the entire ending out :s-smilie: It seemed so rushed as well. It would be nice if they rebooted sometime in the future, it's a good story. Anyway, I am going to start reading the Subtle Knife tonight. Which book in the series is your favourite?
Original post by Deshi
:sadnod:

When I first watched the Golden Compass a few years ago I remember finding it confusing and as a result not very good. Now that I've read the book it's so much worse, they left the entire ending out :s-smilie: It seemed so rushed as well. It would be nice if they rebooted sometime in the future, it's a good story. Anyway, I am going to start reading the Subtle Knife tonight. Which book in the series is your favourite?

Northern Lights is my favourite. It had all the magic of that world, the adventure and the various twists. The other books are good as well. Subtle Knife brought in an interesting dynamic though it felt a lot more grounded in the real world (I guess you'll find out why) and Amber Spyglass was a much grander and sprawling story but I liked the enclosed and magical feel of the first book. A bit like what The Hobbit is to the Lord of the Rings.
It's ages since I read His Dark Materials :moon: I think The Amber Spyglass is my favourite, but as I say, it's been a while.
Reply 3416
Deathly Hallows Part 2 already grossed just under half a billion dollars worldwide. Going to be interesting watching the figures rise!
That's insane. It even broke The Dark Knight record by $10 million for Opening Weekend. It has a great chance at breaking into the top 3 grossing films of all time.
Reply 3418
Yeah, I can see that. The third film is probably the darkest of the series which contrasts with, I feel, HBP and Chamber of Secrets being the darkest books. Alfonso Cuarón did a great job with it.

Need to be more specific about genres, my man.

I tried. IMDB have this list you can create but I got bored. :emo: Do you have a figure for yourself?

I watch anything as long as its decent. Comedy/Action/Sci-Fic/Horror etc..
Reply 3419
That's insane. It even broke The Dark Knight record by $10 million for Opening Weekend. It has a great chance at breaking into the top 3 grossing films of all time.

The deciding factor will be how long it stays in the cinemas, I can't remember the exact figures but I remember Avatar hanging around like a bad smell for flipping months. (I hated Avatar:colonhash:). Depends on the plans for the DVD release I guess?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending