The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5840
Original post by Nator
Do different Cambridge colleges have different types of interviews or are they all the same? And do some prefer the BMAT score more than others? Haven't been able to find this out :frown:

Different colleges can theoretically have totally different interviews.

I had 2 scientific interviews, when some other people had 1 science, and 1 general interview.

Whatever the DOS wants, he gets. Which means that each college has their own weighting on entrance requirements.

I can't comment on specific weightings with respect to colleges, but I can say that the BMAT is taken very seriously by all (Some on par with the interview).
Reply 5841
Guess I can post here since I've decided to apply this year instead of waiting for next year :smile:

GH, do you happen to know whether Wolfson, Hughes Hall and Lucy Cav all require A2 Chem and two further maths/science AS levels? There was some suggestion that BMAT could be offered instead for graduate entrants but I really have no idea anymore since I can't find anything suggesting as much now.
Reply 5842
Original post by Ronove
GH, do you happen to know whether Wolfson, Hughes Hall and Lucy Cav all require A2 Chem and two further maths/science AS levels? There was some suggestion that BMAT could be offered instead for graduate entrants but I really have no idea anymore since I can't find anything suggesting as much now.

Sorry, I am not affiliated with any of the Cambridge Graduate colleges.
My suggestion is that you email the DOS/admission tutor and get a response in writing before you apply.
Reply 5843
Original post by GH
Sorry, I am not affiliated with any of the Cambridge Graduate colleges.
My suggestion is that you email the DOS/admission tutor and get a response in writing before you apply.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Yeah it's more appropriate here :yep:

Right so the reason I was rejected without interview for Sheffield was not because of my UKCAT score - I was over the cutoff however they didn't like my PS (and in retrospect nor do I :lol:) so they rejected me :rolleyes:

I'll try and find my feedback letter if you want :h:

What is the UKCAT cutoff score? Is it different for different unis?
Reply 5845
Original post by GH
Different colleges can theoretically have totally different interviews.

I had 2 scientific interviews, when some other people had 1 science, and 1 general interview.

Whatever the DOS wants, he gets. Which means that each college has their own weighting on entrance requirements.

I can't comment on specific weightings with respect to colleges, but I can say that the BMAT is taken very seriously by all (Some on par with the interview).

Oh right I see, might I ask which college you went for?

And what is the DOS? :redface: And is it at all possible to find each college's entrance requirements or is it all kept secret?

BMAT is taken seriously by all? You know this for a fact? And thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by latentcorpse

Original post by latentcorpse
What is the UKCAT cutoff score? Is it different for different unis?

I don't think you're joking :facepalm:

Every uni that asks for the UKCAT does so differently :yep:

For those that have cutoffs they will differ between the med schools and between years

Eg: 2011 cycle cutoffs:
Southampton (can't remember but think it's 565... check with them if you want exact number)
BATL: ~ 635
Sheffield: 717.5

Then if you want to compare years:

BATL: 2010 - 665 ; 2011 - 635

Sheffield: 2010 - 675(ish) ; 2011 - 717.5

But it's important to remember that the cutoffs vary because of the applicants on a yearly basis.. there's no way of telling if they will go up or down this year :h:

For more info
Reply 5847
Original post by Nator
Oh right I see, might I ask which college you went for?

And what is the DOS? :redface: And is it at all possible to find each college's entrance requirements or is it all kept secret?

BMAT is taken seriously by all? You know this for a fact? And thanks for the advice :smile:

DOS = Director of studies, he will decide whether to accept you or reject you.

Some college entrance requriement are available, but the weightings for each DOS may change with each year, and are kept very secret (after all the colleges themselves are in competition to get the highest candiates to perform well in Tripos exams).

BMAT is taken very seriously, more so than GCSEs and in some colleges than AS level results.

I know everything I say for a fact because I am a supervisor for a couple of different colleges in Cambridge, this allows me access to DOSs who discuss applicants suitbaility with me (since I will be supervising them in the future).

My aim it clean up some pre-conceptions and wrong information that have entered into TSR being passed from 1 applicant to another.
Original post by GH

Some college entrance requriement are available, but the weightings for each DOS may change with each year, and are kept very secret (after all the colleges themselves are in competition to get the highest candiates to perform well in Tripos exams).

BMAT is taken very seriously, more so than GCSEs and in some colleges than AS level results.

I know everything I say for a fact because I am a supervisor for a couple of different colleges in Cambridge, this allows me access to DOSs who discuss applicants suitbaility with me (since I will be supervising them in the future).

My aim it clean up some pre-conceptions and wrong information that have entered into TSR being passed from 1 applicant to another.

My teachers have advised me to research scientific articles as universities like to see that you are exploring your subject outside the classroom, but i'm a bit puzzled on how to integrate it into my personal statement...should i just write a paragraph on stuff i have researched? What is the best way to mention it?
Reply 5849
Original post by GH

We all greatly appreciate it. :yy: The self-perpetuating myths surrounding medical school bug me to no end, as I'm sure it bugs everybody else.
Reply 5850
Original post by EternalDoom
My teachers have advised me to research scientific articles as universities like to see that you are exploring your subject outside the classroom, but i'm a bit puzzled on how to integrate it into my personal statement...should i just write a paragraph on stuff i have researched? What is the best way to mention it?

My suggestion is that it is best to keep the science paragraph for the SAQ that Cambridge mails you (a supplementary PS as it were for Cambridge).

If you want specific PS advice, go on the PS forum and request me. I am rather busy though, so answers may take some time.
Reply 5851
Original post by GH

Oh right I see :smile:

Any ideas where to find them? And that's fair enough, and by weightings you mean which factors are the most important?

And fair enough, and by AS level results you mean the UMS marks? And any ideas what kind of UMS is advised? Is there a certain average mark out of all the AS subjects which is a certain cut-off or is advised?

I see, so you know what certain DOSs look for in a candidate? And thanks a lot for that, I am sure many people, including myself, appreciate your work :smile:
Reply 5852
Original post by Nator
Any ideas where to find them? And that's fair enough, and by weightings you mean which factors are the most important?

Yes. that's correct. Some DOS will use a formulae and list canditates into a massive table to rank them with the different weightings (BMAT, GCSE, UMS, interviews etc).

There is no way a DOS will tell an applicant their formulae (and the formuale may change every year to take into account how the previous cohorts performed).

The only person that knows the weightings are the DOSs and the people he decides to discuss this with. It would be unprofessional for me to tell you the exact weightings. I will only generalise, as to not compromise certain college's secret recipe.

Original post by Nator

And fair enough, and by AS level results you mean the UMS marks? And any ideas what kind of UMS is advised? Is there a certain average mark out of all the AS subjects which is a certain cut-off or is advised?

Again that is college dependant.
Needless to say some high As would not go amiss.
We use this to mainly see whether your predicted marks are lies or about right.
I care more about BMAT results.

Original post by Nator

I see, so you know what certain DOSs look for in a candidate? And thanks a lot for that, I am sure many people, including myself, appreciate your work :smile:

Yes, that is the case.
Since I will be teaching the new medics, it is only fair that I have a slight input on who I want to teach, and this has worked very well in the past.
Reply 5853
Original post by GH
Yes. that's correct. Some DOS will use a formulae and list canditates into a massive table to rank them with the different weightings (BMAT, GCSE, UMS, interviews etc).

There is no way a DOS will tell an applicant their formulae (and the formuale may change every year to take into account how the previous cohorts performed).

The only person that knows the weightings are the DOSs and the people he decides to discuss this with. It would be unprofessional for me to tell you the exact weightings. I will only generalise, as to not compromise certain college's secret recipe.

Again that is college dependant.
Needless to say some high As would not go amiss.
We use this to mainly see whether your predicted marks are lies or about right.
I care more about BMAT results.

Yes, that is the case.
Since I will be teaching the new medics, it is only fair that I have a slight input on who I want to teach, and this has worked very well in the past.

Oh right I see, fair enough :smile:
A formula as in some kind of point scoring system?
And I can understand that, but can you advise students to choose a certain college based on their academics?

I see, I am just worried that one of my AS marks wouldn't be as high as the rest, I predict something like worst case scenario:

265/300, 280/300, 290/300 and 290/300 in Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry respectively.
Any ideas if it is enough?
And it is enough to get a 4A* prediction from my school.
With a solid BMAT would this compensate for the AS marks?

I see, and that's fair enough :biggrin:
Reply 5854
Trying to avoid a very cliched introduction to the PS is very difficult :work: Got the rest more or less finished but just can't get happy with the intro :frown:
Original post by cz100
Trying to avoid a very cliched introduction to the PS is very difficult :work: Got the rest more or less finished but just can't get happy with the intro :frown:

Remember to use the PS helpers when you're done :wink:
Reply 5856
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Remember to use the PS helpers when you're done :wink:

Yeah, I'm tweaking it according to the first review now, been doing so for the past couple of days :h:
I'm gonna get all my teachers to have gone through my personal statement on the first week back in school, ill get my doctor friend from Imperial to go through it, i'll get the PS helpers on here to go through it...i'll have done like somewhere between 20-50 drafts lol!
I wish there was some easy way out for abstract reasoning...i'm doing loads and loads of practice with them, but i'm not improving much, this is just starting to tire me out....i want to go out and have fun but noooooo i gotta spend my summer studying!!! >_<

/rantover
Hello all!

I'm just doing a UKCAT practice paper from a book but it doesn't tell me how I can calculate my scores?

I know what's wrong and right but I can't work out how to translate my mark into an overall score... just so I can see where I'm hitting!!

Any ideas gratefully received!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending