The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prescilla
Umm... What the?! :lolwut:

I was baffled too :tongue:

Original post by mamooshka
:awesome: Lmao! Brilliant. Nothing like a bit of Voldy Love.

Haha it was so unexpected though! I said 'But he looks like a turtle!' and she was like 'Well, he's a handsome turtle!'
I don't know how I felt about it...

It was cinematic and enjoyable and well filmed and the score was FANTASTIC. There was enough nostalgia to please a die-hard fan and it was streamlined and accessible for the non-book readers.

But it was somehow lacking for me. It just didn't have the "epic quality" that I wanted it to have. It was no Helm's Deep, but then again I don't think it was as epic as it should have been in the book, either.

There was this strange contradiction for me; really every Death Eater should have been able to easily kill every student and it annoyed me that they were fighting toe-to-toe, but at the same time I felt the desire to see more intense, drawn-out duels that perhaps involved a bit more than simply flinging nondescript spells around and deflecting them. I mean, why was Bella unable to block THAT spell from Molly, but able to block the dozen before it?

Despite complaining, I enjoyed myself!
Reply 2142
Anyone else though the physical fight between Voldemort and harry ridiculous? Would Voldemort resort to muggle fighting techniques :s-smilie:
Original post by Luceria
I don't know. I don't mind the way they look.
The bright light ruins a little though. They look older in the actual film.

Spoiler

The first thing I said when film was older was "Why does ageing 19 years make your nose get fatter?" because that was the most noticeable difference!
I am far too excited to see this film tonight!! :smile:
Original post by ummm
Just saw it, and feel really depressed now, not because I didn't like it - I thought it was amazing - just that it's all over now. It's been like a constant in my life for the past decade or so, like my whole childhood.

I lolled so much though when it showed the memory of Snape hugging Lilly's body. Don't know why, just couldn't stop!

Now I feel the urge to re-read all the books. Feel empty now tbh! Nothing to look forward to, and never going to be able to look forward to the next book or film being released. DEPRESSED.

EDIT: For all the people nitpicking, of course it wasn't going to be detail-perfect. I think they adapted it excellently for a visual conclusion!

I know what you mean, I feel empty too :sadnod: But I feel worse for the people who don't love Harry Potter enough to want to re-read the books again and again :lol:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
The first thing I said when film was older was "Why does ageing 19 years make your nose get fatter?" because that was the most noticeable difference!

Haha, well they look obviously older to me. And wizards and witches age slower than muggles, and live longer (Dumbledore was 116 when he died). Some are even close to 150.
Anyway. I'm happy with they way they looked. They were only in their mid 30's, and they look noticeably older.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think some people are simply over-estimating how old mid-to-late thirty year olds actually look. I thought the actors were aged very subtly and, therefore, realistically. You don't need a truckload of prosthetics to make a 21 year old actor look 37.

I also stick by what I've always said; Alan Rickman was too old to play Snape. But I forgive that because he was awesome in every other respect :P
Original post by soulofanewmachine
I think some people are simply over-estimating how old mid-to-late thirty year olds actually look. I thought the actors were aged very subtly and, therefore, realistically. You don't need a truckload of prosthetics to make a 21 year old actor look 37.

I also stick by what I've always said; Alan Rickman was too old to play Snape. But I forgive that because he was awesome in every other respect :P

I agree. And Rickman is indeed too old. But he's brilliant and perfect for the part. All the Marauders and Lily are too as well old, but it doesn't matter.
Original post by Luceria
I agree. And Rickman is indeed too old. But he's brilliant and perfect for the part. All the Marauders and Lily are too as well old, but it doesn't matter.

Indeed. Before the first film came out I was hoping for Tim Roth to be Snape, I think that would have been great too. But he turned it down for Planet of the Apes, I wonder if he regrets that ...

What did you think of David Thewlis as Lupin? I always thought he seemed rather too creepy :tongue:
Original post by soulofanewmachine
Indeed. Before the first film came out I was hoping for Tim Roth to be Snape, I think that would have been great too. But he turned it down for Planet of the Apes, I wonder if he regrets that ...

What did you think of David Thewlis as Lupin? I always thought he seemed rather too creepy :tongue:

I'm a huge David Thewlis and Lupin fan. I love him as Remus Lupin! I think he's perfect.
Glad Roth turned it down.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
I'm a huge David Thewlis and Lupin fan. I love him as Remus Lupin! I think he's perfect.
Glad Roth turned it down.

As in Tim Roth?
OMG IT WAS AMAZING!!!! I'm going again Thursday. The Snape scenes just about killed me :'( I think the line they changed of his was a good change. It made it more emotional. Certain differences from the book were irritating. Like the fact the battle was outside and not in the great hall, but nm. LOL, some of the Voldermort scenes were hilarious! I thought he couldn't get any more camp after the whole "Severus, i've saved you a seat," from the 1st part, but then he went and hugged Draco xD Bella's death was...weird, but all in all it was WELL GOOD! :biggrin:
Reply 2153
The only thing I really missed was the whole conversation Harry and Voldemort were supposed to have before they duel, in front of the rest of the school - you know, the whole "Have some remorse Riddle" bit.
I think this was my favourite film out of the 8, probably because it was the only one I went into taking it as a separate thing from the books so I didn't really care that so much was changed :smile:
Original post by ummm
The only thing I really missed was the whole conversation Harry and Voldemort were supposed to have before they duel, in front of the rest of the school - you know, the whole "Have some remorse Riddle" bit.

I would have liked that as well. And the explanation about Lily's blood.
I don't think the film made it clear that the only reason Harry survived was because Snape begged Voldemort to spare Lily?

Anyway. I loved the film! :biggrin:
Just watched it in 2d at the cinema with my brother :biggrin: was gooooooood
Original post by ummm

This. This is what upset me the most. That and the bit in Limbo, I didn't like that one bit-although I was very impressed with how they brought the ugly-child-Voldemort to life, very vivid.
I really liked part 2, but personally I think part 1 was better. However, the final battle was brilliant though :biggrin:
A few minor quibbles with the film- Neville kills Nagini in front of Voldemort in the book! And why they moved the conversation between Harry and the Dark Lord to them standing on a tower which they then jumped off, extremely silly, is beyond me! But saying that, I still thought it was amazing! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest