The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3520
Original post by dnumberwang
physics is just pretend maths tbh

One of the most annoying things about chemistry is all the arithmetic... also pretend maths

cooking is good :colonhash:

Yes, but chemistry isn't.

Oh I know, I'm crashing chem this year and we're doing reaction rates, and to get the "rate" we have to pick a point in the "middle" of an exponential graph and work out the gradient. Im just like - come on!

One of the most annoying things about chemistry is all the arithmetic... also pretend maths

cooking is good :colonhash:

:tongue: Have you seen the xkcd comic with "biology is applied chemistry, chemistry is applied physics" etc. joke?

Original post by Zoedotdot
I know someone quoted me in here with a URL to add to the first page, but even having extended my Who Quoted Me to the max I can't find the link to the post :p: whoever it was, poke me again and I'll add it this evening :smile:

That was me I think :smile:

Sites.google.com/site/oxon2012 for a website.

Thank you!
Original post by candide
I'm bored as well. I don't like chemistry either, too much like cooking! :L

That's funny, my mum always says that the reason she enjoyed chemistry a-level is that it's like cooking. (Slightly worrying for her cooking!)

Original post by punctuation
Haha well chem is mildly interesting but the class is so long...

:/ However I don't hate it with fiery passion as I do physics :tongue:

How long's the class? If you're just taking chemistry does that mean you sit in the same classroom for the whole day?

Physics is applied maths with crazy theorems and the occasional annoying experiment (normally with a trolley and a power pack, and at least 3 things that don't work). So it's about 2/3 epic. :biggrin:

Excuse me? :rolleyes:
:tongue: Have you seen the xkcd comic with "biology is applied chemistry, chemistry is applied physics" etc. joke?

yeah, it's on the wall in one of our maths classrooms, along with some others :tongue:

Original post by soutioirsim

:lol:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
How long's the class? If you're just taking chemistry does that mean you sit in the same classroom for the whole day?

Yes. D: I'm done for today though, now I'm sitting at home :biggrin:

I agree about physics! :lol: My best science mark at GCSE, but gawd, i didn't really enjoy it :lol:

Although i hear it's better at A-level, but rather a beasty subject :rolleyes:
Original post by soutioirsim

This.

Slight insult to maths I would say.

Original post by candide
Oooooooooooooooooooooooo data! =O

You called?

Spoiler

Reply 3530
Original post by RupertTheBear
This.

Slight insult to maths I would say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten

Edward Witten is a god! Only physicist to ever get a fields medal plus he used to be, of all things, a political hack.
Original post by fluteflute

Dang! Ninja'd! :ninja2:
Classic xkcd there - in my maths class, the random xkcd references are up to around 10 per lesson, eclipsing actual maths in terms of how often they're mentioned in conversation (that's how cool we are...)
Haha well chem is mildly interesting but the class is so long...

:O that's like sacrilegious! Physics + Chemistry + Biology = best subjects ever
Is anyone else factoring University Challenge success into their college choice, or is it just me? :o:

On a similar note, go on Worcester!
Original post by fluteflute

Way to steal my spotlight :lol:

Relevant to chemistry...

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3536
Original post by manic_fuzz
I agree about physics! :lol: My best science mark at GCSE, but gawd, i didn't really enjoy it :lol:

Although i hear it's better at A-level, but rather a beasty subject :rolleyes:

its so much better :P
That was me I think :smile:

Sites.google.com/site/oxon2012 for a website.

Thank you!

Sorted :cool:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Sorted :cool:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Relevant to chemistry...

So true :lol: Last week we were doing a titration to find out the amount of iron in thyme, and got riduculous results like 19g iron - 100g thyme, and it turned out it was likely to be because the titration just took into account every oxidised substance or something, so basically we came to no useful conclusion at all :tongue: typical chemistry :wink:

Original post by Samdude
its so much better :P

I'll have to take your word on it! :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending