The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If this paragraph from the article is accurate:
The two patents relate to how data is processed. The first patent is described as a “system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data,” which Apple says applies, for example, to tapping a phone number and being prompted options to call or look it up on the web. The second is described as a “real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data,” which Apple says relates to data processed in real-time applications.

then surely every single phone (and perhaps every single computer) ever made violates these patents? Unless Apple got these back in the 1970s or something I don't see how they can possibly be upheld.
Original post by G8D
The American patents system is severely flawed at the best of times.

Agreed
GUYS! I've dropped my phone in a river accidently today :frown:

I was wondering if anyone can find me a phone on android for £10/month. Big ask I know.
Original post by chaz1992

Original post by chaz1992
GUYS! I've dropped my phone in a river accidently today :frown:

I was wondering if anyone can find me a phone on android for £10/month. Big ask I know.

I think the cheapest you are going to find something is on something like http://www.buymobilephones.net/ Contracts only seem to start at around 15 quid a month and you'll need to buy the phone on top of that
Original post by wizard710
I think the cheapest you are going to find something is on something like http://www.buymobilephones.net/ Contracts only seem to start at around 15 quid a month and you'll need to buy the phone on top of that

I was thinking of buying a samsung galaxy europa for £40 off o2 and might then unlock and go on a sim only deal.
Reply 5506
The cheapest without a phone? O2 Simplicity does £10/month for 100 mins + 500 texts without a phone.
Reply 5508
If it actually does happen blackberry will have lost its only good thing left.
Original post by alex_hk90

Original post by alex_hk90
If this paragraph from the article is accurate:

then surely every single phone (and perhaps every single computer) ever made violates these patents? Unless Apple got these back in the 1970s or something I don't see how they can possibly be upheld.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/apple-deals-massive-patent-blow-to-htc-android-in-serious-trouble/13714

Thanks - the linked to blog post in that article explains it a bit better, but they still sound far too general to be patentable.
Reply 5511
Original post by G8D
BBM isn't good.

Argeed but its the only thing blackberry can hold onto.
Hi, guise. Should hopefully have an Android by the end of this week. :colondollar:
they were saying this from may and i havent heard about it since. imo i dont think it will happen, i cant see how it will work
Why would Rim's want to give bbm for Android or ios I mean that would kill off bb smartphone in market they would be so silly to do that I just think bbm should only stay with bb phone cos It own right but I can see how some would arguing that lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
If I remember correctly, it'd only be a basic service. To invite people or send files, you'll probably have to pay.
hey sup
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the BBC have launched an app to track 3G mobile coverage across the UK. All you have to do to take part, is download the UK 3G Survey app from the Android Market. There is more information here on the BBC News website.
Original post by TheCrackInTime
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the BBC have launched an app to track 3G mobile coverage across the UK. All you have to do to take part, is download the UK 3G Survey app from the Android Market. There is more information here on the BBC News website.

Thanks, I've downloaded it. Will try it for a bit but I'm concerned about battery usage as it has to use GPS as well as mobile network.

EDIT: The results it shows in the app seem to only distinguish between 2G and 3G (i.e. not GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSDPA) which wouldn't be very useful (unless it's collecting the other data without displaying it locally).
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending