Maybe you confused that with the BMAT :dontknow:

hehe maybe :biggrin:

school now :sad:
3 goes at the AR section of Test 1 from the UKCAT site:
1) 37/65 - 600
2) 38/65 - 600
3) 37/65 - 600

So that's roughly 600 on AR?

According to cz's table, if i combine what i am getting in the other sections, my average score at the moment would most likely be about 668 :s

4) 42/65 - 650
5) 43/65 - 670
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5943
Original post by EternalDoom
1) 37/65
2) 38/65
3) 37/65

According to cz's table, if i combine what i am getting in the other sections, my average score at the moment would most likely be about 668 :s

That's quite good, a couple of pages after that table it says
"Based on your performance on the Practice Test, here are your next steps:
If you scored below 500: You’ve got a lot of work to do, so you can earn a score that will qualify for interview. But it’s easy to improve your scores from here, so don’t panic. Kaplan has the strategies and techniques that will help you raise your scores and your confidence, plus support from an expert teacher and loads of practice tests to help you get the scores you need for medical school.
If you scored from 500 to 590: Your score is close to the average, but you still have plenty of room for improvement. If you answer just a few more questions correctly, you can increase your score significantly, which will make all the difference in getting into medical school. Just remember, this is only a practice test and you can still improve your scores if you prepare with Kaplan!
If you scored from 600 to 690: Your performance today is slightly above average, but you can’t be sure that your scores will outshine those of other applicants to the medical school of your choice. Kaplan can teach you effective and reliable techniques that will take your scores to the next level!
If you scored 700 or above: Your score is highly competitive, and you are in very good shape. But remember, you must repeat this performance on Test Day! Let Kaplan teach you the strategies that will help you build confidence, maintain consistency and help you earn a place at the medical school of your dreams!
No matter how you scored: This UKCAT practice test is only an indication of your current testing ability. The performance averages listed are the average scores of all test takers, including the vast majority who do little or nothing to prepare. Imagine what you can achieve when you apply yourself and develop test-specific knowledge and techniques."
Work experience (reapplicant, yay...):
Last year: 1 week at a hospital, 1 week at a GP, and 2 days at a dentist (I don't know why either)
This year: joined St. John ambulance, got a job at a school for children with learning difficulties and i will do 3 days experience in a hospice.

Please could the wise users of tsr tell advise me whether I need to do even more??
As apparently I need to do some care work with the elderly.
Original post by cz100
That's quite good, a couple of pages after that table it says
"Based on your performance on the Practice Test, here are your next steps:
If you scored below 500: You’ve got a lot of work to do, so you can earn a score that will qualify for interview. But it’s easy to improve your scores from here, so don’t panic. Kaplan has the strategies and techniques that will help you raise your scores and your confidence, plus support from an expert teacher and loads of practice tests to help you get the scores you need for medical school.
If you scored from 500 to 590: Your score is close to the average, but you still have plenty of room for improvement. If you answer just a few more questions correctly, you can increase your score significantly, which will make all the difference in getting into medical school. Just remember, this is only a practice test and you can still improve your scores if you prepare with Kaplan!
If you scored from 600 to 690: Your performance today is slightly above average, but you can’t be sure that your scores will outshine those of other applicants to the medical school of your choice. Kaplan can teach you effective and reliable techniques that will take your scores to the next level!
If you scored 700 or above: Your score is highly competitive, and you are in very good shape. But remember, you must repeat this performance on Test Day! Let Kaplan teach you the strategies that will help you build confidence, maintain consistency and help you earn a place at the medical school of your dreams!
No matter how you scored: This UKCAT practice test is only an indication of your current testing ability. The performance averages listed are the average scores of all test takers, including the vast majority who do little or nothing to prepare. Imagine what you can achieve when you apply yourself and develop test-specific knowledge and techniques."

I'm going to try to get a score of 700 consistently as average using the UKCAT 600 book and the Kaplan test and the ukcat website tests, hopefully ill get around 750 +/- 50 on the real test day!
Reply 5946
1) 37/65 - 600
2) 38/65 - 600
3) 37/65 - 600

4) 42/65 - 650

Annoying thing is they don't even give you the patterns!
Reply 5947
Original post by GH
Yep, me or one of the other PS helpers will be around to look over it if you post it there.

Wow, you really are set out for the BMAT.

Concentrate on the 400Qs ("high yield" - common exam topics crop up, and are covered by that book) then offical guide, leave Kaplan last (its the "lowest yield" out of them all). That should get you a 7.0+

I would be very impressed with anyone scoring 7.0+
8.0 pretty much secures you a place at most colleges
So BMAT = vital

That's great, appreciate your help :smile:

And sure am, heard how important it is, have all my papers + books laid out, answered and ticked all the questions from the papers that I could manage so I don't have to go over them in future and focus more on the ones I didn't answer.

Have you seen the 400Qs book yourself? Do they explain the S1 stuff about how to approach argument clearly? And thanks for the advice!

Will try and aim for 8 then, is that in both sections or in any one section?
Original post by Nator
Annoying thing is they don't even give you the patterns!

Yeah it's pretty much you figure it out or you never will, but i guess that allows you to practise them over and over again, with the 600 UKCAT book, once i have done it once and know the answers, it's not the same test sort of feeling anymore...

Test 1:
1) 37/65 - 600
2) 38/65 - 600
3) 37/65 - 600
4) 42/65 - 650
5) 43/65 - 670

Can't seem to do any better than that >_<
Going to have 5 goes at Test 2, and then 5 goes at the shortened test one.
Yeah it's pretty much you figure it out or you never will, but i guess that allows you to practise them over and over again, with the 600 UKCAT book, once i have done it once and know the answers, it's not the same test sort of feeling anymore...

Test 1:
1) 37/65 - 600
2) 38/65 - 600
3) 37/65 - 600
4) 42/65 - 650
5) 43/65 - 670

Can't seem to do any better than that >_<
Going to have 5 goes at Test 2, and then 5 goes at the shortened test one.

Well, see, I got 4 out of 65 on mine...
Reply 5950
AR UKCAT Practice Test One:

1st Attempt: 42/65 :frown:
Original post by Straight up G
Well, see, I got 4 out of 65 on mine...

I take it you're just starting your AR revision? I was similar to that at first
Original post by Nator
AR UKCAT Practice Test One:

1st Attempt: 42/65 :frown:

That's really good for a first attempt!
Reply 5953
That's really good for a first attempt!

Thanks aha, but I'm annoyed at myself because I've done all the AR exercises in the 600Q book including the mock exam (got 58/65 on that), and still only get 42/65. The timing is so tight!
Original post by Nator
Thanks aha, but I'm annoyed at myself because I've done all the AR exercises in the 600Q book including the mock exam (got 58/65 on that), and still only get 42/65. The timing is so tight!

I guess it just comes down to how obvious the pattern is in the shapes given on the test day
Reply 5955
I guess it just comes down to how obvious the pattern is in the shapes given on the test day

I heard some of the actual ones on the day are dead easy so should be fine :smile:
Reply 5956
Original post by Nator
That's great, appreciate your help :smile:

And sure am, heard how important it is, have all my papers + books laid out, answered and ticked all the questions from the papers that I could manage so I don't have to go over them in future and focus more on the ones I didn't answer.

Have you seen the 400Qs book yourself? Do they explain the S1 stuff about how to approach argument clearly? And thanks for the advice!

Will try and aim for 8 then, is that in both sections or in any one section?

8.0 ideally in both sections, but if pressed, an 8.0 in section 2 is better.
You should be aiming for a 4.0/5.0 for section 3. If you get a 2 (and its common), then that might harm your chances.

The 400Q books has a pretty good section on section 1 and explaining arguments, and has probably the best section 2 out of all the resources out there. But the gem is in its section 3.
Reply 5957
Original post by GH
8.0 ideally in both sections, but if pressed, an 8.0 in section 2 is better.
You should be aiming for a 4.0/5.0 for section 3. If you get a 2 (and its common), then that might harm your chances.

The 400Q books has a pretty good section on section 1 and explaining arguments, and has probably the best section 2 out of all the resources out there. But the gem is in its section 3.

Fair enough, and I can understand that :smile:

That's great to hear :biggrin: And is the section 3 in that book that good? Also what do the letters of the section 3 score mean, i.e. 5A? Is the number the score and letter the layout of something like that?
Reply 5958
Original post by Nator
Fair enough, and I can understand that :smile:

That's great to hear :biggrin: And is the section 3 in that book that good? Also what do the letters of the section 3 score mean, i.e. 5A? Is the number the score and letter the layout of something like that?

Yes. The section 3 is the best out of everything I have seen of any resource. Its got examiners comments for a lot of different essays, saying which they each got those marks. (And has different canditates esssays for the same essay title).

As well as a couple pages of some really good pearl of wisdoms on what examiners want to see.

5 = quality of essay
A = use of english

For admission aspects, I'd rather see a 5B/C rather than a 4A. Use of english is not important.

I supervise BMAT canditates privately, and this book really has changed the way I tutor my students.
Reply 5959
Original post by GH
Yes. The section 3 is the best out of everything I have seen of any resource. Its got examiners comments for a lot of different essays, saying which they each got those marks. (And has different canditates esssays for the same essay title).

As well as a couple pages of some really good pearl of wisdoms on what examiners want to see.

5 = quality of essay
A = use of english

For admission aspects, I'd rather see a 5B/C rather than a 4A. Use of english is not important.

I supervise BMAT canditates privately, and this book really has changed the way I tutor my students.

Woah that's really helpful, should really have a read of this sometime after my UKCAT exam :smile:

Good stuff, and thanks for clearing the scoring system out, was getting a bit confused on what the letters and numbers meant :tongue:

And oh alright I see, but is it true that it's considered the least important section out of the 3? I heard from TSR that it goes S2 > S1 > S3?

Wow that is encouraging, will have a look then :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending