The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laughylolly
I've got that book, it is good =)

I am still reading it at the minute - it's pretty good as a general maths book. I am loving the barcode bits too!

I would suggest Professor Ian Stewarts Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities if you enjoy it :smile:
STEP III 1998 Q5 is why I like maths.
Original post by cocopops93
I'm not sure if i'll get the work experience yet or what i would be doing but fingers and toes crossed! :smile:
I helped out and tutuored various peers nd i really enhoyed that so i am thinking of eventually becoming a maths teacher :smile:

Oh well if you do get it it would be v v cool!!! How did you find out about it? :biggrin:
Do you think at google theres one person who solely designs the doodles....that'd be me if there was!!!!! :P
Yeah i enjoy it lots too and have done quite a lot of work experience with children but i dont think i could manage being a teacher!!!! A private tutor maybe....haha
I'd like to do the EPQ and basing it around my degree subject would be advantageous, however I have no idea how to do it based on maths!!!!
Anyone else either doing it/done it or got any ideas for topics?
:biggrin:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Oh well if you do get it it would be v v cool!!! How did you find out about it? :biggrin:
Do you think at google theres one person who solely designs the doodles....that'd be me if there was!!!!! :P
Yeah i enjoy it lots too and have done quite a lot of work experience with children but i dont think i could manage being a teacher!!!! A private tutor maybe....haha

My mum knows someone who knows someone in Google so it's all about trying to cash in on those connections :P hahaa
My mum knows someone who knows someone in Google so it's all about trying to cash in on those connections :P hahaa

Oh wow!!
Thats v cool :biggrin:
Good luck!!
I am still reading it at the minute - it's pretty good as a general maths book. I am loving the barcode bits too!

I would suggest Professor Ian Stewarts Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities if you enjoy it :smile:

Oh, I've see that in the book shop. I've still got a few other books to get through, so I better finish them before getting anymore! Thanks for the suggestion though
Reply 707
You guys think its ok to choose NOT to do an EPQ? [Maths related obviously]

I mean I'm reading books and stuff which I'm fine with but just don't want to do an EPQ. I think I could spend my time doing more worthwhile things tbh.

It won't make a big difference will it?
Original post by Thrug
You guys think its ok to choose NOT to do an EPQ? [Maths related obviously]

I mean I'm reading books and stuff which I'm fine with but just don't want to do an EPQ. I think I could spend my time doing more worthwhile things tbh.

It won't make a big difference will it?

Its good in the sense that it gives you something to talk about should you have an interview. But as long as you have done things that you can talk about (books etc) then you should be fine with not doing an EPQ
Original post by cpdavis
Its good in the sense that it gives you something to talk about should you have an interview. But as long as you have done things that you can talk about (books etc) then you should be fine with not doing an EPQ

Do you have to have things like that to talk about in the interview? Or do they just ask you maths questions
Reply 710
Original post by dnumberwang
Do you have to have things like that to talk about in the interview? Or do they just ask you maths questions

They just asked me maths questions. Do an EPQ for your own edification should you desire to.
Reply 711
Original post by around
They just asked me maths questions. Do an EPQ for your own edification should you desire to.

That should be the reason we do anything [work related] :wink:
Original post by dnumberwang

It was mainly maths questions, but they did ask about my music and my self teaching
Why oh why has my first post on this thread got 4 negs? I don't understand....
Reply 714
I am definately!
Applying [probably] to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath/Bristol & Manchester.

I've taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. (Dropping Chem)

At GCSE 4A*, 5A and *cough* a C.

....am i doin it rite?
Reply 715
Original post by BeccaCath94
I'd like to do the EPQ and basing it around my degree subject would be advantageous, however I have no idea how to do it based on maths!!!!
Anyone else either doing it/done it or got any ideas for topics?
:biggrin:

I'm planning on doing it, with it being based on something along the lines of Euclid's Elemts/Proof/ Greek mathematics. :smile:
Or something. Not really too sure what the 'question' is going to be.

How long have you known about the EPQ? I literally only heard of it's existence the other day haha
Original post by around

Good :smile:

Yeah, I'm too lazy. Recently our school gave us opportunity to do the EPQ but the deadline has gone, and I don't want to do it anyway.

Hopefully they don't ask about the cheese on my PS either
Reply 717
Original post by MHRed
I am definately!
Applying [probably] to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath/Bristol & Manchester.

I've taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. (Dropping Chem)

At GCSE 4A*, 5A and *cough* a C.

....am i doin it rite?

Careful dropping your 4th subject.. I think it's Warwick who don't like that if you do M + FM.
Original post by MHRed
....am i doin it rite?

no, you support liverpool
Original post by Thrug
Careful dropping your 4th subject.. I think it's Warwick who don't like that if you do M + FM.

For maths, its part of the offer that you do both maths and further maths at Warwick. For a different degree they might not but I think most unis would prefer you do further maths when applying for maths.

Latest