The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by Jorgeyy
Anyone planning on doing some C3/C4/FP1 work over summer to help understanding in lessons?

Call me ronalkeenio

I'm going to consolidate everything I have learnt so far from all my lessons but probably won't do any extra work, I have already had these 6 weeks of extra school to smooth the transition into A2 and we have already covered about 1/4 of the A2 syllabus in those 6 weeks so I don't think starting any extra work from scratch will be necessary for me, will you?
Reply 1321
Original post by Tateco
I'm going to consolidate everything I have learnt so far from all my lessons but probably won't do any extra work, I have already had these 6 weeks of extra school to smooth the transition into A2 and we have already covered about 1/4 of the A2 syllabus in those 6 weeks so I don't think starting any extra work from scratch will be necessary for me, will you?

I will be, simply because I'm taking C3 and C4 in January.

We got offered the EPQ, but I declined as I thought it'd be a waste of time given what I've heard from universities. :rolleyes:
Reply 1322
Original post by Groat
I will be, simply because I'm taking C3 and C4 in January.

We got offered the EPQ, but I declined as I thought it'd be a waste of time given what I've heard from universities. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it makes sense for you. I'm only doing C3 in January so there isn't much pressure in terms of content.

I don't think I'll bother with the EPQ either to be honest, unless for whatever reason I can't do FM AS then I'll pick it up just so I've got an extra.
Yeah I am doing FM AS so cba with EPQ :smile:
Reply 1324
Original post by Tateco
How is everyone finding A2-levels so far? I have to say it doesn't seem that different to AS so far, I'm sure it will get harder, though.

After AS levels we started the poverty and wealth topic and I have to say I found it so boring! I felt like I was in a sociology lesson! It was realy easy though - thats probably why we did it. But my teacher was telling us how piss easy AS level economics is and that A2 is much harder when we start getting right into it next summer.
Reply 1325
I was talking to my maths teachers today and if I'm going to take Further Maths next year, it pretty much has to be self taught by myself. For the people who have taken FM AS, do you guys reckon its something that can be self taught? I believe I'm doing FP1, M2 and S2
Reply 1326
Original post by Hemzo
I was talking to my maths teachers today and if I'm going to take Further Maths next year, it pretty much has to be self taught by myself. For the people who have taken FM AS, do you guys reckon its something that can be self taught? I believe I'm doing FP1, M2 and S2

It shouldn't be too difficult. FP1 isn't that hard and M2 is merely an extension of M1 and with enough practice you can manage. I also hear S2 is very easy (easier than S1 I've heard some people say). So you should be fine, if you mentioned FP2 or FP3 however, then that would be very different.

*I've done M2 and am doing FP1 and S2 "next" year. A couple of friends finished Maths and FM A-levels and they've said S2 is very easy. FP1 and M2 info is from personal experience.
Reply 1327
Original post by zxh800
It shouldn't be too difficult. FP1 isn't that hard and M2 is merely an extension of M1 and with enough practice you can manage. I also hear S2 is very easy (easier than S1 I've heard some people say). So you should be fine, if you mentioned FP2 or FP3 however, then that would be very different.

*I've done M2 and am doing FP1 and S2 "next" year. A couple of friends finished Maths and FM A-levels and they've said S2 is very easy. FP1 and M2 info is from personal experience.

I got a B in the S1 paper, so I'll take your word for it. Hated the S1 paper we got in January, but then again it could of been worse :tongue: Thanks a lot mate, I'll probably take it up, I'll see the actual textbooks tommorow to see what they're like and then make my decision
Reply 1328
Original post by Hemzo
I got a B in the S1 paper, so I'll take your word for it. Hated the S1 paper we got in January, but then again it could of been worse :tongue: Thanks a lot mate, I'll probably take it up, I'll see the actual textbooks tommorow to see what they're like and then make my decision

Good luck, I know the summer S1 paper was a tricky one. Hopefully it's not too bad in Jan when I take it. But yea, definitely take a look at the textbooks before making a decision. If you don't like the look of the stuff you may not want to risk it.
Reply 1329
Original post by zxh800
Good luck, I know the summer S1 paper was a tricky one. Hopefully it's not too bad in Jan when I take it. But yea, definitely take a look at the textbooks before making a decision. If you don't like the look of the stuff you may not want to risk it.

The S1 summer paper was the best one I had come across (after doing all the past papers). But this was for OCR so I don't know what board you are talking about...
Reply 1330
Original post by Tateco
The S1 summer paper was the best one I had come across (after doing all the past papers). But this was for OCR so I don't know what board you are talking about...

I'd presume Edexcel. Most of their exams (including S1) I sat were sneaky.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1331
Original post by Tateco

Yup, I'm on Edexcel.
Reply 1332
Original post by Groat
I'd presume Edexcel. Most of their exams (including S1) I sat were sneaky.

Original post by zxh800
Yup, I'm on Edexcel.

Aah that make sense then :tongue:
Hey all,
A quick question, thought you'd be the best people to ask: when you read the economist (or any other related magazine/newspaper) do you take notes on it? I'm asking as at the moment I have an online subscription and read on my iPod touch and was wondering if you recommend that I 'upgrade' to a physical subscription?
Reply 1334
Original post by tooambitious
Hey all,
A quick question, thought you'd be the best people to ask: when you read the economist (or any other related magazine/newspaper) do you take notes on it? I'm asking as at the moment I have an online subscription and read on my iPod touch and was wondering if you recommend that I 'upgrade' to a physical subscription?

Since feb, our economics teacher made us write 3 A4 pages a week summerising 3 articles from the Economist, and as you can guess, it only lasted about 5 weeks before people couldnt be bothered anymore. so now i dont take notes on articles, just read through 2/3 articles per issue. I still find them quite boring and heavy, personally i think the bbc website is the best especially robert peston's blog, so i mainly follow that
Original post by somaiyar
Since feb, our economics teacher made us write 3 A4 pages a week summerising 3 articles from the Economist, and as you can guess, it only lasted about 5 weeks before people couldnt be bothered anymore. so now i dont take notes on articles, just read through 2/3 articles per issue. I still find them quite boring and heavy, personally i think the bbc website is the best especially robert peston's blog, so i mainly follow that

Lol, did you find the notes helpful? Thanks for the heads up I'll check the BBC out :smile:
Reply 1336
Original post by somaiyar

I agree, I don't actually like the format of the majority of The Economist articles!
Reply 1337
Me and Groat were just talking about Durham Colleges. There is quite a few people applying to Durham on this thread I think, and it hadn't even occurred to me that I have to make yet another decision :eek4: has anyone else decided on their Durham college yet?
Original post by Tateco
Me and Groat were just talking about Durham Colleges. There is quite a few people applying to Durham on this thread I think, and it hadn't even occurred to me that I have to make yet another decision :eek4: has anyone else decided on their Durham college yet?

I don't think I'll apply to Durham, and I didn't know you had to choose colleges. Now you have to choose a Cambridge college as well as a Durham one! :tongue:
Original post by Tateco

I am actually also thinking about applying to Durham. Didn't know either that you have to choose a college... They don't have as many as Oxbridge do they? :tongue: Oh I've just realised they increased the offer for Germans, now it's as high as for Oxbridge and LSE, that doesn't make sense :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending