The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Wondering if it'd be stupid or pointless to do the 600Q book twice? and the 400Q one twice too?

I think I'm going to go back and do some of the VR again from the 600 Q book as that's my worst section but in a few weeks so I have time to forget the answers. It's probably a good idea to keep using new material too though. :smile:
Original post by Limitless
I'm thinking of doing my EPQ on the NHS reforms, privatising or not. What do you guys think about this? (doing EPQ on it not where you stand on the NHS privatising debate)

Seems good tbh. If you could incorporate some ethics into it, it would be good too.

However, I'd also look into your chosen universities (or prospective ones anyway), and see if they place a particular emphasis on science (BMAT ones), Ethics, Volunteering etc whatever, and try and sort of tailor it towards that.
Original post by Straight up G
Seems good tbh. If you could incorporate some ethics into it, it would be good too.

However, I'd also look into your chosen universities (or prospective ones anyway), and see if they place a particular emphasis on science (BMAT ones), Ethics, Volunteering etc whatever, and try and sort of tailor it towards that.

Yeah, but I'm contemplating whether to do it on that or something like a drug/diesease.
Yeah, but I'm contemplating whether to do it on that or something like a drug/diesease.

I'm choosing a medical treatment in particular. I'd prefer to go with a drug/disease/treatment because advances are relatively slow, so if you get asked at interview, you could talk relatively confidently and they'd accept it well.

With the NHS reforms, you'd have to go fairly deep into Economics/politics and keep in touch with all of the details, all of the time. If you just answered their questions about the reforms in the standard 'I sort of know what's going on this month' fashion that the normal applicant would, then they'd crucify you because you did your EPQ on it and you should know it inside out.

There is potential for it also paying off spectacularly, if you can talk very confidently about it then they'll love it.
I'm choosing a medical treatment in particular. I'd prefer to go with a drug/disease/treatment because advances are relatively slow, so if you get asked at interview, you could talk relatively confidently and they'd accept it well.

With the NHS reforms, you'd have to go fairly deep into Economics/politics and keep in touch with all of the details, all of the time. If you just answered their questions about the reforms in the standard 'I sort of know what's going on this month' fashion that the normal applicant would, then they'd crucify you because you did your EPQ on it and you should know it inside out.

There is potential for it also paying off spectacularly, if you can talk very confidently about it then they'll love it.

My worry is that, what if I propose a view which they are against. Say for example I say privatise the NHS and the interviewer is completely against it. Then what? Have a full blown argument with him. :confused:
My worry is that, what if I propose a view which they are against. Say for example I say privatise the NHS and the interviewer is completely against it. Then what? Have a full blown argument with him. :confused:

That shouldn't be a worry. If you can talk confidently and argue well with him, then he'll be impressed by your logic and knowledge. It's almost inevitable that he will win the argument (on points, or by knockout), but it's how many rounds he takes to win it that counts.
That shouldn't be a worry. If you can talk confidently and argue well with him, then he'll be impressed by your logic and knowledge. It's almost inevitable that he will win the argument (on points, or by knockout), but it's how many rounds he takes to win it that counts.

True I see what the teachers have to say about it when I get back to school and go from there.
Reply 5987
LOWE DAT **** MAN LOWE IT.

It's a link to more AR practise, as listed on the Medicine wiki. You unable to click it or something?

Yeah man, and is it all free? And some weren't working dunno why
Original post by Nator
Yeah man, and is it all free? And some weren't working dunno why

I don't know tbh, I just thought of it when you mentioned that you had run out.
Reply 5989
I don't know tbh, I just thought of it when you mentioned that you had run out.

Have you not used them?
Is it important to mention what you've learned from your subjects? My teacher told me to but it's such a waste of valuable PS space! As far as I can see French and Philosophy/Ethics are really quite self-explanatory. And Bio + Chem are just, well, standard. :dontknow:
Original post by Nator
Have you not used them?

Nome, not yet
Reply 5992
Nome, not yet

When's your test brah?
Original post by Nator
When's your test brah?

Not booked. Will probably be ~10th August
Reply 5994
Not booked. Will probably be ~10th August

Alright then
Original post by Nator
Alright then

You said you were in ~5 weeks?
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Is it important to mention what you've learned from your subjects? My teacher told me to but it's such a waste of valuable PS space! As far as I can see French and Philosophy/Ethics are really quite self-explanatory. And Bio + Chem are just, well, standard. :dontknow:

no bro
Reply 5997

We don't care what your point of views are, if you can talk sensibly for/against it, and are able to defend your position, and recognise any additional arguments that I might be put forwards, then its all good.

TL;DR: There are no "correct" views. We don't care what you views are.
Original post by GH
We don't care what your point of views are, if you can talk sensibly for/against it, and are able to defend your position, and recognise any additional arguments that I might be put forwards, then its all good.

TL;DR: There are no "correct" views. We don't care what you views are.

you in admissions?
Original post by sohanshah
You've done more than enough really then. The UKCAT is a weird examination. If you've done as much practice as this, I don't really think there's much more left to do!

I'll keep practising the same stuff over and over again so my skills don't get rusty by exam time....got nothing better to do lol >_>

Going to King's College London open day tomorrow, can't wait, i love uni open days! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending