The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aj12
The theatrical versions of LOTR's really don't do justice do Boromir and Faramir.

Yeah I heard about that!
Haven't seen the trilogy in extended edition all the way through yet, but I always saw Boromir as a grade A prick and then Faramir as the overshadowed brother?
Turns out I'm wrong....
Original post by cadaeibfeceh

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I thought Scream 4 was hilarious, maybe only in references and piss takes of other "horror" films but still :biggrin:

Really? There was that one scene where Hayden Panettiere reeled off the massively long list of horror reboots, but beyond that I couldn't really remember any real references except the pervading message of "hey guys, reboots are always bad so if this film is bad then we've done well" which didn't really sit well with me.
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Horrible bosses, quite want to see. I always find Jason Bateman funny in film roles, in general

Looking forward to that and Bridesmaids..

Anyone else find the Hangover 2 disappointing?:redface:
Reply 3463
Original post by hownowbrownowl
Yeah I heard about that!
Haven't seen the trilogy in extended edition all the way through yet, but I always saw Boromir as a grade A prick and then Faramir as the overshadowed brother?
Turns out I'm wrong....

Deffo a must see if you have about 12 hours spare lol
Reply 3464
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Anyone like Studio Ghibli films here?

Of course not...
Original post by Aj12
Deffo a must see if you have about 12 hours spare lol

I saw the first one extended, fell asleep halfway through the second...dont think i can watch the third one all in one sitting...
I'd already read the books by the time the LOTR films came out, so I knew straight off everything that was missing :pierre:
Reply 3467
Original post by hownowbrownowl
I saw the first one extended, fell asleep halfway through the second...dont think i can watch the third one all in one sitting...

So far tonight I have watched 3 quaters of the first and I am now on to the second
Original post by Aj12
Nope, just at the end of the Fellowship. He seems like such a selfish character even after his death. Faramir its hard to understand why he felt the need to die for his father. Its only in the extended edition where it is far better explained and you understand them both better.

DAMN YOU LURTZ. How dare you use arrows on him, no honour. :frown:

(if you haven't seen the films by now you deserve to have them spoiled)

I didn't find him selfish (unless are you meaning that people would had they not seen the extended editions). If not for him defending Merry and Pippin, my perception of Boromir did change based on that extra scene in Osgiliath.

The music in that scene...he kept on fighting. :cry2:

Original post by getfunky!

Anyone else find the Hangover 2 disappointing?:redface:

It was really predictable given that it followed the same formula as the first film and so it was a pretty dull affair now I look back. Apparently the third film will be the last and it will have the wolf pack trying to break Alan out of a mental asylum.

Bridesmaids on the other hand was really funny.

Original post by channy
Of course not...

I've rarely, if ever, seen the films mentioned in this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3469
I didn't find him selfish (unless are you meaning that people would had they not seen the extended editions). If not for him defending Merry and Pippin, my perception of Boromir did change based on that extra scene in Osgiliath.

The music in that scene...he kept on fighting. :cry2:

Maybe not selfish but, maybe seen him a lot more negatively had they not seen the extended version.

He tried so hard, even after he was hit by those arrows. :frown: Aragorn came and kicked ass though.

We come, we come with roll of drum: ta-runda runda runda rom!
We come, we come with horn and drum: ta-runa runa runa rom!
To Isengard! Though Isengard be ringed and barred with doors of stone;
Though Isengard be strong and hard, as cold as stone and bare as bone,
We go, we go, we go to war, to hew the stone and break the door;
For bole and bough are burning now, the furnace roars - we go to war!
To land of gloom with tramp of doom, with roll of drum, we come, we come;
To Isengard with doom we come!
With doom we come, with doom we come!
(edited 12 years ago)
I tried to watch the extended edition fo Fellowship of the Ring the other day and I really didn't like it. It turned what for me was the tightest film into a drawn out, meandering procession that I found really hard keep my attention on. I got halfway through and had no motivation to keep watching. Think I'll just stick with the theatrical releases.
Original post by Phalanges
I tried to watch the extended edition fo Fellowship of the Ring the other day and I really didn't like it. It turned what for me was the tightest film into a drawn out, meandering procession that I found really hard keep my attention on. I got halfway through and had no motivation to keep watching. Think I'll just stick with the theatrical releases.

I personally prefer he extended editions, but I guess you're only going to prefer them if you really really love the books.

Bear in mind that Fellowship is actually the most meandering of the books and they cut a lot in order to make it as tight as it appears in the movie (even the extended cuts out a great deal of the first half)
Original post by Sonny_J_D

Original post by Sonny_J_D
I personally prefer he extended editions, but I guess you're only going to prefer them if you really really love the books.

Bear in mind that Fellowship is actually the most meandering of the books and they cut a lot in order to make it as tight as it appears in the movie (even the extended cuts out a great deal of the first half)

Yeah, I've never read the books. I got bought them for christmas once and tried to get into them, but I was bored by the end of the prologue. :p: I guess if I knew everything that was missing I'd probably be more interested in seeing it included, but ignorance is bliss.
I thought Dark of the Moon was the best out of the Transformers trilogy, I'm just thinking about Revenge of the fallen now and how everyone seems to say it's the worst one

the criticisms' for it are basically.... the same for the first and 3rd film though, for having plot holes, juvenile humour, action over dialogue, etc so yeah I wanna rewatch Rotf again, still don't think it's that bad
Reply 3474
I thought Dark of the Moon was the best out of the Transformers trilogy, I'm just thinking about Revenge of the fallen now and how everyone seems to say it's the worst one

the criticisms' for it are basically.... the same for the first and 3rd film though, for having plot holes, juvenile humour, action over dialogue, etc so yeah I wanna rewatch Rotf again, still don't think it's that bad

That's not really saying much though, is it. :ahee:

Rotf was seriously bad.. The reason the first one worked so well was it had a simple story line.

Autobots are good, Decepticons are bad .. but they both want the All-Spark.

Rotf was just too complicated, the number of characters, their personas..

One of the worse parts of the film was due to the persona of the robots, it started to look and sound like a children's film. Those twin robots:nothing: I don't what Michael Bay was thinking when he decided to include them.

The alien language from the first film should have been included, at least it would have made it seem somewhat darker/adult:smile:

I was disappointed when it came to watching it, it shouldn't be called a sequel to the original his first Transformers film (which was excellent:coma:)
Anyone seen The Dark Knight Rises teaser yet? :K:

..:coma:
Reply 3477
Anyone like Studio Ghibli films here?

Spirited Away is probably my all-time favourite film. I can quite happily watch it again and again.
Original post by Phalanges
Yeah, I've never read the books. I got bought them for christmas once and tried to get into them, but I was bored by the end of the prologue. :p: I guess if I knew everything that was missing I'd probably be more interested in seeing it included, but ignorance is bliss.

Philistine! :hand:
Reply 3479
Original post by Pi!
Spirited Away is probably my all-time favourite film. I can quite happily watch it again and again.

It's not that good. I don't see why people rate it as highly as they do, tbh.

It was a decent film, certainly, and one of Studio Ghibli's best, but it was nothing 'special'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending