The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rainman88
Any idea why?

No idea. We (EEE's) got a strict email saying that no 1 should ask for results until they appear on portico. However the department admin lady told them to us in person anyway :-D (only the overall %).
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
How is the language center? I'm thinking of studying spanish.
Do you know if students who attended any language course have benefit from it? (is there value for money?)
Original post by destination unknown
How is the language center? I'm thinking of studying spanish.
Do you know if students who attended any language course have benefit from it? (is there value for money?)

how much is it?
Original post by wizz_kid
how much is it?

no clue...i'm a prospective student (if my interview goes well) so i was hoping to get some info/price about the language center.
no clue...i'm a prospective student (if my interview goes well) so i was hoping to get some info/price about the language center.

Language Centre is free. You take langauge options as part of your degree :s

they also offer 2 week intesive courses, which are free for UCL students, they run during July, and a 2 week session is equivalent to a 0.5 module in a language.

I did German last year, a 0.5 unit. 2 hours a week, reading writing, speaking, listening exams, runs all year. A lot more work than any other 0.5 unit (eg International relations was 2 hours a week, for September to December, Seminars in history was 1 hour a week September to December)

A 1.0 unit is the same amount of examination.

Taught very well, however a 0.5 unit from beginners will only get you just about up to GCSE standard. Depends whether or not you carry on after or if you do a full 1.0 unit.
Original post by Flajamafloffl

they also offer 2 week intesive courses, which are free for UCL students
, they run during July, and a 2 week session is equivalent to a 0.5 module in a language.

I did German last year, a 0.5 unit. 2 hours a week, reading writing, speaking, listening exams, runs all year. A lot more work than any other 0.5 unit (eg International relations was 2 hours a week, for September to December, Seminars in history was 1 hour a week September to December)

Taught very well, however a 0.5 unit from beginners will only get you just about up to GCSE standard. Depends whether or not you carry on after or if you do a full 1.0 unit.

Nooooo way! How come no 1 told us about it?!
Original post by wizz_kid
Nooooo way! How come no 1 told us about it?!

well they tell you if your studying at the language center. But they charge several hundred pounds for non UCL students, so they probably prefer to take non ucl students.

Plus I think the idea is its for people who show that they're interested in language, and so are doing it as part of their degree.

Who knows :s
Original post by Flajamafloffl

they also offer 2 week intesive courses, which are free for UCL students, they run during July, and a 2 week session is equivalent to a 0.5 module in a language.

I'll be doing a MSc so i doubt that it will count for my degree.
I just want to start learning a language, so i guess the 1.0 runs the whole year?
Can you give me the link to the center website please?
I'll be doing a MSc so i doubt that it will count for my degree.
I just want to start learning a language, so i guess the 1.0 runs the whole year?
Can you give me the link to the center website please?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=esqb%2Cratio%3D0%2Cdepth%3D0&cp=7&gs_id=q&xhr=t&q=ucl+language+centre&qe=dWNsIGxhbg&qesig=kGn9HhSW89vwethbEzxK_g&pkc=AFgZ2tlXgzu7B4fj-sCe-MOQQ-jmIcP4ZDsvQzKotgpNW17MlzZVKGb75cesu-aFrKVCnnj5_FMP1XL8FRnpvg4yEcC80bAWIA&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=ucl+lan&aq=0&aqi=g5&aql=f&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=68b2c9f6e06f422c&biw=1366&bih=667

Yehhh. Its just 4 hours instead 2 of hours.

I had a guy doing an MA in history in my German class, as well as Natural scientists and mathematicians so, probably will.
Reply 1509
Original post by flying twig
No, I wanted to but I think it's too late now? Have you applied already? I don't think my course would let me unfortunately but I may ask if it's not too late

On one of the forms is asks if you'd be available for interview in June/July or in September, so perhaps not.:confused:
Reply 1510
It's been a long time since i've been here.

squ33zed
found you

orca92
found you
Reply 1511
Original post by Wuzzie

Go away please...... i see enough of you at uni
Oh wow.

We are not real people, we exist just on the internet!
So when can we expect official results on Portico? anyone
Original post by Wuzzie

The f is this.. do I know you??
Reply 1515
Original post by Squ33zed
The f is this.. do I know you??

I don't know whether you're joking or not........ if you're not, then i'll give you a clue; you're living with her this year!
Sh'tup. We are not real people.
Original post by orca92
I don't know whether you're joking or not........ if you're not, then i'll give you a clue; you're living with her this year!

Emily who? I don't know any Emily
Reply 1518
Original post by rockrunride
Sh'tup. We are not real people.

Haha, you started this thread in 2008; are you still at UCL?

Squ33zed
Emily who? I don't know any Emily

****, must have given her the wrong username; sorry mate.
Original post by orca92
Haha, you started this thread in 2008; are you still at UCL?

Quite clearly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending