The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So I guess it would be a good idea to think of an order based on how you yourself value each position, and Draft in that order?
Yep-you actually have to think about it. I had a pretty awful time the last time... Almost all my bets didn't pay off...

Lockout looks like it'll be over on Thursday. Prepare for one hell of a free agency period (all 2 weeks of it.)
Reply 1782
Original post by paddy__power
So what are the tactics like - try to get a good QB first?

The top 10 is usually stud running backs (Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones Drew etc.) and 2 or 3 QBs (manning, brady, brees, rodgers), but I like to go Wide Reciever first 2 or 3 picks to get the top end ones and look for running backs lower down and off the wire because I think its easier to 'manufacture' a productive RB than a reciever (the difference between the 10th and 20th best RB will be far less than at reciever)

Like this year I joined a new keeper league and won it by picking Andre Johnson and Roddie White with my first 2 picks (2 of the top 5 recievers) and used lower level running backs like Felix Jones, Chris Ivory, Arian Foster (turned out to be a monster which had a lot to do with my success), Ryan Torain and my quarterback was Ryan Fitzpatrick
Thanks guys, I will sort myself out a plan. :smile:

Looking forward to what will be my first fantasy league.
I had my first fantasy draft last week (at 1 in the morning because I fluffed my time zone conversions) and it was horrible. Every single one of my top choices (except Vick) got nabbed 2 or 3 picks before me. Still reasonably pleased with how it turned out though. Apparently I signed up for another league without noticing, but since I missed the draft I just picked up a team full of Browns (minus Hillis :frown:) off waivers, and don't plan to look at it again until the season's finished :biggrin:
Reply 1785
seems kris jenkins is retiring :frown: considering his injuries the last couple of years is probably best for him but still shame to see him go :frown:
Had a fantasy football draft on NFL.com last night, just as another one to sink my teeth in to. It went on auto-pick I think. This is my team...

QB - Michael Vick (Eagles)
RB 1 - Frank Gore (49ers)
RB 2 - Knowshon Moreno (Broncos)
WR 1 - Santonio Holmes (Jets)
WR 2 - Vincent Jackson (Chargers)
WR 3 - Sidney Rice (Vikings)
TE - Owen Daniels (Texans)
K - Stephen Gotskowski (Patriots)
DEF - Pittsburgh Steelers

BN - QB Jay Cutler (Bears)
BN - RB Tim Hightower (Cardinals)
BN - RB Ryan Matthews (Chargers)
BN - WR AJ Green (Bengals)
BN - WR Austin Collie (Colts)
BN - TE Brandon Pettigrew (Lions)

Pretty dang pleased :biggrin:
Reply 1787
Hey Guys,

Saints fan checking in... :wink:

I've lurked around TSR for a while but never bothered posting.. so hey!

Looking forward to the off-season that could start tomorrow!
Original post by Rekyht
Hey Guys,

Saints fan checking in... :wink:

I've lurked around TSR for a while but never bothered posting.. so hey!

Looking forward to the off-season that could start tomorrow!

Welcome! :smile:

Yeah, the lock-out looks set to resolve with no shortened season, which all in all is a pretty good solution :smile:
Original post by The Patriot
Had a fantasy football draft on NFL.com last night, just as another one to sink my teeth in to. It went on auto-pick I think. This is my team...

QB - Michael Vick (Eagles)
RB 1 - Frank Gore (49ers)
RB 2 - Knowshon Moreno (Broncos)
WR 1 - Santonio Holmes (Jets)
WR 2 - Vincent Jackson (Chargers)
WR 3 - Sidney Rice (Vikings)
TE - Owen Daniels (Texans)
K - Stephen Gotskowski (Patriots)
DEF - Pittsburgh Steelers

BN - QB Jay Cutler (Bears)
BN - RB Tim Hightower (Cardinals)
BN - RB Ryan Matthews (Chargers)
BN - WR AJ Green (Bengals)
BN - WR Austin Collie (Colts)
BN - TE Brandon Pettigrew (Lions)

Pretty dang pleased :biggrin:

Only thing I'd question is Daniels over Pettigrew... also I had Santonio last year in my team and he was extremely hit and miss (more often a miss).

You should know better than most that Gostkowski isn't a good pick due to the Patriots' redzone TD conversion rate!

Moreno will undoubtedly be poor but he's better than the two backs on your bench.

Overall, nice team though!
Original post by Hedgeman49
Only thing I'd question is Daniels over Pettigrew... also I had Santonio last year in my team and he was extremely hit and miss (more often a miss).

You should know better than most that Gostkowski isn't a good pick due to the Patriots' redzone TD conversion rate!

Moreno will undoubtedly be poor but he's better than the two backs on your bench.

Overall, nice team though!

Daniels is better than Pettigrew IMO. He had good stats in only a few games last year :smile:

Gostkowski wasn't my pick, because he was on auto-pick. I just changed him to David Buehler (Cowboys). He should have settled better next year, and with a slightly better offense, he should get in field goal range a bit more and a few more XP :smile:

I think Matthews will do better than Moreno tbh, but I'm not 100% sure, so I'm holding back judgement til after pre-season.
Reply 1791
I like matthews as a sleeper this year he let me down quite bad last year though because i hung with him for far too long, Im not drafting till after free agency but cant wait already
Just done a mock draft on nfl.com. A lot more difficult than I thought it would be. The players I wanted kept getting stolen like a couple of picks before me :angry:

Came out with a fairly good team though I think.

QB: Josh Freeman (I felt like such a boss when I made this pick in the 2nd round, everybody was picking QBs like Brady and Roethlisberger and I was like I'll go for the young guy :cool:)
RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Peyton Hillis
WR: Desean Jackson
WR: Santonio Holmes
W/R: Mark Ingram (didn't really get the whole WR or RB spot but I chose an RB cos I thought Hillis may flop this season and/or Ingram would be incredible)
TE: Kellen Winslow
K: Adam Vinatieri
DEF: Chargers

QB: Sam Bradford
RB: James Starks
WR: Sidney Rice
WR: A.J. Green
TE: Aaron Hernandez
K: Billy Cundiff
Original post by Scott129
Just done a mock draft on nfl.com. A lot more difficult than I thought it would be. The players I wanted kept getting stolen like a couple of picks before me :angry:

QB: Josh Freeman (I felt like such a boss when I made this pick in the 2nd round, everybody was picking QBs like Brady and Roethlisberger and I was like I'll go for the young guy :cool:)
W/R: Mark Ingram (didn't really get the whole WR or RB spot but I chose an RB cos I thought Hillis may flop this season and/or Ingram would be incredible)

Solid, I really like Freeman. DeSean is a huge pickup because he gets TDs on special teams too. Mark Ingram is boom or bust and a risky pick for sure. Kellen Winslow is a beast.

Not sure on Chargers D but let's face it, you don't know what you're going to get from the Chargers game to game never mind season to season.

Jamaal Charles has two first names and therefore has to have game!
Daniels is better than Pettigrew IMO. He had good stats in only a few games last year :smile:

Gostkowski wasn't my pick, because he was on auto-pick. I just changed him to David Buehler (Cowboys). He should have settled better next year, and with a slightly better offense, he should get in field goal range a bit more and a few more XP :smile:

I think Matthews will do better than Moreno tbh, but I'm not 100% sure, so I'm holding back judgement til after pre-season.

Pettigrew should have a good season next year though, IMO, fantasy will never show his true value as he's a true tight end rather than a big reciever (ie. he blocks very well.) However it is a big target and with Megatron and young streaching the feild and burleston as second read he could get a lot of throws under the defense and pick up a lot of 5-10 yarders-particually if Stafford is injured and Hill comes in.

I'd also say that he'll be getting a lot of TD passes as, outside of Megatron, he's our best endzone threat...
Original post by Hedgeman49
Solid, I really like Freeman. DeSean is a huge pickup because he gets TDs on special teams too. Mark Ingram is boom or bust and a risky pick for sure. Kellen Winslow is a beast.

Not sure on Chargers D but let's face it, you don't know what you're going to get from the Chargers game to game never mind season to season.

Jamaal Charles has two first names and therefore has to have game!

Yeah quite surprised it turned out so well, looking forward to our own fantasy league now :biggrin:

As for the Chargers D, they were ranked number 1 last season and tbh, it was the best available at the time.

Liking the Charles theory as well haha!

As for the Chargers D, they were ranked number 1 last season and tbh, it was the best available at the time.

Liking the Charles theory as well haha!

Yes but we know what kind of season their DST had last year..and it definitely wasn't the #1 rank they were projected as!

Gotta love Deion Sanders.
Original post by WharfedaleTiger
Pettigrew should have a good season next year though, IMO, fantasy will never show his true value as he's a true tight end rather than a big reciever (ie. he blocks very well.) However it is a big target and with Megatron and young streaching the feild and burleston as second read he could get a lot of throws under the defense and pick up a lot of 5-10 yarders-particually if Stafford is injured and Hill comes in.

I'd also say that he'll be getting a lot of TD passes as, outside of Megatron, he's our best endzone threat...

I agree. I'm not trying to undervalue Pettigrew, just presuming Stafford may finally last a season, and noticing the other offensive weapons the Lions have added, I just don't know how much ball he can realistically get.

As for Daniels, Andre Johnson can't catch everything, and IMO Foster will drop in useage slightly this year, because his effectiveness was a surprise last year. This year, teams will game plan him a bit more.

Purdy dang good :smile:
I agree. I'm not trying to undervalue Pettigrew, just presuming Stafford may finally last a season, and noticing the other offensive weapons the Lions have added, I just don't know how much ball he can realistically get.

As for Daniels, Andre Johnson can't catch everything, and IMO Foster will drop in useage slightly this year, because his effectiveness was a surprise last year. This year, teams will game plan him a bit more.

As I say I think he'll get quite a bit as the one thing we lack is a real posession reciever. Our O-Line still isn't great and thus we'll need to get the ball of quickly-either to Best in the backfield or to Pettigrew.

That said there are a dozen other TE's I'd take.

Latest