The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

So much petty fan rage in the Potter thread.
Reply 3481
Watching Batman Begins with the commentary on, looks brilliant in Blu Ray
So what do people think of the new Spiderman trailer?

http://movies.uk.msn.com/features/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=158622329
Original post by maskofsanity
So what do people think of the new Spiderman trailer?

http://movies.uk.msn.com/features/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=158622329

It looks like it just copied the 'Mirror's Edge' video game.

Ape Gone Insane

Emma Stone didn't look too great in the posters I had, but she looks amazing in this.
Speaking of Ghibli :holmes:

The new Ghibli film ranked 3rd on it's release in Japan.

Behind the new Potter and the new Pokémon.

http://eiga.com/ranking/

You have to ask yourself why they released it now :holmes:
Original post by cambo211
Speaking of Ghibli :holmes:

The new Ghibli film ranked 3rd on it's release in Japan.

Behind the new Potter and the new Pokémon.

http://eiga.com/ranking/

You have to ask yourself why they released it now :holmes:

They STILL make Pokémon movies????
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
They STILL make Pokémon movies????

The 2 in cinemas at the moment are the 14th and 15th IIRC.

Still amazingly amazingly popular in Japan.
The 2 in cinemas at the moment are the 14th and 15th IIRC.

Still amazingly amazingly popular in Japan.

*stares ahead blinkingly wide-eyed...*
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
*stares ahead blinkingly wide-eyed...*

Mewtwo Strikes Back
The Power of One
Spell of the Unown
Celebi: Voice of the Forest
Heroes: Latios and Latias
Jirachi Wish Maker
Destiny Deoxys
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
The Rise of Darkrai
Giratina and the Sky Warrior
Arceus and the Jewel of Life
Zoroark: Master of Illusions
Victini and the Black Hero: Zekrom
Victini and the White Hero: Reshiram
Original post by Pi!
Spirited Away is probably my all-time favourite film. I can quite happily watch it again and again.

Not my favourite but I do really like it.

They're really strange films. Their portrayal of certain themes such as love is just so different and in many ways, incomprehensible/ridiculous but in a good way. Finding it hard to explain. It might be a cultural thing between Western animations and these. Watching Spirited Away made me feel warm and fuzzy and a bit sleepy. The worlds in Studio Ghibli films feel very imaginative (perhaps overly so) and unpredictable. Whereas I would be a bit more focussed watching Up and things wouldn't completely surprise me and I could comprehend exactly what was going on.

Original post by getfunky!
Rotf was seriously bad.. The reason the first one worked so well was it had a simple story line.

Autobots are good, Decepticons are bad .. but they both want the All-Spark.

Rotf was just too complicated, the number of characters, their personas..

One of the worse parts of the film was due to the persona of the robots, it started to look and sound like a children's film. Those twin robots:nothing: I don't what Michael Bay was thinking when he decided to include them.

The alien language from the first film should have been included, at least it would have made it seem somewhat darker/adult:smile:

I was disappointed when it came to watching it, it shouldn't be called a sequel to the original his first Transformers film (which was excellent:coma:)

Transformers trilogy.
First: Autobots are good, Decepticons are bad. Lost Transformer technology. Both sides want. Sam = Hero with hot girlfriend. Explosions. A mere teenager triumphs.
Second: Autobots are good, Decepticons are bad. Lost Transformer technology. Both sides want. Sam = Hero with hot girlfriend. Explosions. A mere teenager triumphs.
Third: Autobots are good, Decepticons are bad. Lost Transformer technology. Both sides want. Sam = Hero with hot girlfriend. Explosions. A mere teenager triumphs.

I think it was more the racist persona of the two robots in Revenge of the Fallen. Something they did again with regards to the Scottish and Irish accented robots in Dark of the Moon. The worst part of the Revenge of the Fallen, asides from the very film, is the length, director, dialogue, plot, characters, director, acting, locations and director.

I don't think it's meant to be darker or adult. That's why it fails. It's a children's programme which, at face value, seems like a children's film but is actually more geared towards the general audience, has dashes of sexism and racism and comes across as if someone watched Top Gear, noted down the best looking cars and went out and bought them with the film budget along with some random model and lots of explosives. Don't forget the explosives. The script was probably written by Michael Bay in his early years when he used to play with toy cars in his bedroom.

Michael Bay is Uwe Boll with a high budget.
Original post by Abiraleft
That's not really saying much though, is it. :ahee:

This turd is slightly shiner than that turd.
Everyone here needs to watch the film La Haine. I was blown away by it!
Original post by DanLorenzo
Everyone here needs to watch the film La Haine. I was blown away by it!

Seen it bro. Quite dark and depressing.
Original post by ChessMister
Seen it bro. Quite dark and depressing.

Nah man. Thats because your not looking into it properly. On the surface it's dark but underneath theres a positive message. That's whats great about it.
Original post by DanLorenzo
Nah man. Thats because your not looking into it properly. On the surface it's dark but underneath theres a positive message. That's whats great about it.

Ahh, I thought you were talking about un prophete in that previous post, but now I remember La Haine.
It is equally dark and depressing, though. The guy whose morality is barely salvaged gets executed by le law; I didn't interpret that incorrectly.
Original post by ChessMister
Ahh, I thought you were talking about un prophete in that previous post, but now I remember La Haine.
It is equally dark and depressing, though. The guy whose morality is barely salvaged gets executed by le law; I didn't interpret that incorrectly.

Well the ending is purposefully shocking and dark to create a contrast with the rest of the film, which despite it's setting is actually entertaining and comedic. Although the characters would normally be portrayed in a bad light, here we are shown the story through their perspective and grow to like them. Really the film is all about storytelling. And how even in bad situations humans have naturally turned to storytelling as a form of escape and entertainment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XayxMPrUP4
HD Spider-Man trailer. Looks a bit Nolan-lite to me. Would be nice if people could recognize that the brilliance of Nolan's films isn't just a case of making everything miserable, dark and brooding, but oh well. It is just a preview, I suppose.
(edited 12 years ago)

Mewtwo Strikes Back
The Power of One
Spell of the Unown
Celebi: Voice of the Forest
Heroes: Latios and Latias
Jirachi Wish Maker
Destiny Deoxys
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
The Rise of Darkrai
Giratina and the Sky Warrior
Arceus and the Jewel of Life
Zoroark: Master of Illusions
Victini and the Black Hero: Zekrom
Victini and the White Hero: Reshiram

:rofl: at Mewtwo Strikes Back. That sounds like a joke title would make for a joke, not something that somebody thought was a good idea to release.
Original post by Phalanges
:rofl: at Mewtwo Strikes Back. That sounds like a joke title would make for a joke, not something that somebody thought was a good idea to release.

There was a feature length TV special which was a sequel to that one called Mewto Returns :holmes:

There was a feature length TV special which was a sequel to that one called Mewto Returns :holmes:

Coming soon to a cinema near you: The Phantom Mewtwo.

Quick Reply

Latest