Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Goldsmiths firmers - 2011 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Dmitrijus
Hey guys, I'm starting psychology this year at Goldsmiths^^

Psychology here too. Also I dont know anything about psychology, never have been to London and am the only from my school going to Goldsmiths!
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
I had my accommodation confirmed by email yesterday (Chesterman). Does anyone else know where they'll be heading?
Reply 162
Original post by twist.the.illusion
I had my accommodation confirmed by email yesterday (Chesterman). Does anyone else know where they'll be heading?

Is your offer conditional or unconditional?
Original post by Ramona
Is your offer conditional or unconditional?

Unconditional because I'm old
Hey accepted my offer for Loring Hall .. anyone else livin there ? x
Reply 165
Anyone doing media this sept? =)
Reply 166
I got an offer! Anyone else for MA Filmmaking?
When are we meant to hear about accomodation? I'm getting a bit worried...
It's meant to be after our offer becomes unconditional (so, once we have our A Level or equivalent results for most of us) and our place at Goldsmiths is officially confirmed. So, an age-long wait for a lot of us aha. Congrats to everyone who has their accommodation and offer already!

Also, ENGLISH STUDENTS: I found a copy of the 2010 reading list for the department which I got at an open day the other year. The 2011 one is meant to get sent to us after A Level results as far as I'm aware, and it says that the books listed are unlikely to change, but are not the full list of what will be needed for the first term and/or year, but to be used to get ready and ahead since English Lit = Three Years With Your Head In A Book.

HOWEVER, there's meant to be a SEPARATE LIST for English with Creative Writing Students. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS LIST? As far as I'm aware it's because we have the extra Writing Workshop module, and the Poetry and Short-story modules are half-courses for us so we won't need all of the books.

Here is a link to my Amazon wishlist of all of the books needed for the modules everyone in the department takes: Explorations in Literature (minus Woolf's 'To The Lighthouse' which we need, sorry I didn't include it in the list), and Approaches to the Text, plus the reccomended books on how to write uni-appropriate essays, and the dictionary of literary terms. They say we'll also need a decent all-purpose dictionary. Also included are the two required anthology for the Engaging Poetry course, since I just really like poetry and will happily read them anyway and gamble on needing them for the half-course.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/FQYEQGIUO6DP/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go

FOR THE SHORT STORY COURSE:
- Edgar Allen Poe's 'Selected Tales' (Penguin), particularly 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue', 'William Wilson', 'The Imp of the Perverse', The Fall of the House of Usher', and 'The Tell-Tale Heart'
- Guy de Maupassant's 'Best Short Stories' (Wordsworth's Classics), particularly 'Ball of Fat', 'The Necklace', 'Mademoiselle Fifi', 'A Piece of String', 'Mme Tellier's Establishment'
- James Joyce's Dubliners, no particular edition necessary, all stories to be read

All other stories to be included in a course pack given to students at the beginning of term.

FOR THE INTRODUCTION TO AMERICAN LITERATURE AND CULTURE COURSE, American and English Lit students only:
- Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible'
- James Fenimore Cooper's 'The Last of the Mohicans'
- F Scott Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby'
- Mark Twain's 'Huckleberry Finn'
- Sherman Alexie's ' Lone Ranger & Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven'
- Paul Auster's 'Moon Palace'
- William Faulkner's 'Short Stories'; 'A Rose For Emily', 'Barn Burning'

Also try to watch the films 'No Country for Old Men', 'The Searchers', 'Lone Star', 'The New World', and 'The Missing'

FOR THE INTRODUCTION TO COMPARATIVE LITERATURE COURSE, English and Comparative Lit students only:
- Susan Basnett's 'Comparative Literature: A Critical Introduction' (Blackwell)
- Oscar Wilde's 'Salome', and 'The Importance of Being Earnest' in 'The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays' (Oxford)
- Moliére's 'The Miser (L'Avare)' (Oxford World Classics)
- Goldoni's 'The Superior Residence' (Penguin)
- Virginia Woolf's 'Mrs Dalloway'
- Thomas Mann's 'Death in Venice'
- Plautus' 'The Pot of Gold (Aulularia)' (Penguin Classics)

Also try to watch 'Throne of Blood (1957)', 'Romeo and Juliet (1968)', 'The Tempest (1980)', 'William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet (1997)', and 'Le Placard (2001)'.

EDITED TO SAY: The books on the wishlist are the specified editions they asked for. The editions included in the other modules are what they reccomended, again, for those modules.
(edited 12 years ago)
A few more points:

- Heavily been reccomended by previous students at open days etc. NOT to buy all the books brand new, try to get second hand copies either from charity shops and the like, from ebay or used-sellers on amazon. That said, on a lot of the copies you can buy them new for a much cheaper price than the ones immediately listed on the wish list if you look at other sellers. Make sure you look at the cost of shipping and the reliability rating of the seller if you do this though!

- Kinda bricking it about how much this is going to cost, if I don't get into Goldsmiths. I know most other unis send off summer reading lists around now, but really, this will be a gamble. Don't particularly want to leave it all until the beginning of September though as I won't get through it all. How does everyone else feel? The book list handout specifically says these are books that should be read BEFORE the start of term :/

- Um, any other heavy readers wondering where we're going to keep our books at uni? From what I remember there's limited storage space; I have the feeling I'm going to have boxes of books just stacked in my room haha! I mean, I knew I was obviously going to have a lot of books but I planned on taking quite a few from my general-collection anyway as I like reading (obviously, English Lit students aha) and I'm one of those people who will randomly get the urge to re-read one particular book. Like, before I could start any revision for A Levels the month before my exams, I HAD TO READ Catch-22. Nothing could be done until I had finished it, oops. So I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to bring many 'extra' books am I?

And congratulations to IB students today!
Reply 170
Hi guys,:smile:
I'm starting psychology, can't wait. Went to the open day, completely forgotten to try and get a reading list. So I'm hunting for it now - anyone has it? either new one, or 2010 one, it won't be very different I guess...
Alex
any mature psychology firmers here by the way?
Reply 171
Original post by ClaudiaGrace
A few more points:

- Heavily been reccomended by previous students at open days etc. NOT to buy all the books brand new, try to get second hand copies either from charity shops and the like, from ebay or used-sellers on amazon. That said, on a lot of the copies you can buy them new for a much cheaper price than the ones immediately listed on the wish list if you look at other sellers. Make sure you look at the cost of shipping and the reliability rating of the seller if you do this though!

- Kinda bricking it about how much this is going to cost, if I don't get into Goldsmiths. I know most other unis send off summer reading lists around now, but really, this will be a gamble. Don't particularly want to leave it all until the beginning of September though as I won't get through it all. How does everyone else feel? The book list handout specifically says these are books that should be read BEFORE the start of term :/

- Um, any other heavy readers wondering where we're going to keep our books at uni? From what I remember there's limited storage space; I have the feeling I'm going to have boxes of books just stacked in my room haha! I mean, I knew I was obviously going to have a lot of books but I planned on taking quite a few from my general-collection anyway as I like reading (obviously, English Lit students aha) and I'm one of those people who will randomly get the urge to re-read one particular book. Like, before I could start any revision for A Levels the month before my exams, I HAD TO READ Catch-22. Nothing could be done until I had finished it, oops. So I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to bring many 'extra' books am I?

And congratulations to IB students today!

I was thinking the same thing - I need to start reading the books now, because they seem too difficult to just quickly read in September/October - but yeah if i don't even end up going there it'll all be for nothing.
I'm just gonna read the first few and see how it goes till results day :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by aksandra
Hi guys,:smile:
I'm starting psychology, can't wait. Went to the open day, completely forgotten to try and get a reading list. So I'm hunting for it now - anyone has it? either new one, or 2010 one, it won't be very different I guess...
Alex
any mature psychology firmers here by the way?

Hey Alex, I'm a 'mature' student...Makes me feel so old saying that haha!
I'm doing Psychology too, maybe us oldies should stick together? :smile:

I haven't got a reading list either, please let me know if you happen to track one down - Promise I'll return the favour sometime!
Reply 173
Anyone doing Sociology and Politics? I’m finding really hard to find anyone doing it. I thought Sociology was popular at Goldsmiths? Does anyone have the reading list? If not one from last year?
Thanks.
Hope to see you all there! (If I get the grades :/)
Reply 174
I replied to you in your own thread, but yeah I'm doing sociology and politics if I meet my offer. I asked the sociology department to send me a reading list and they sent me something (haven't looked at it yet), so PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you :smile:. I know one other person doing sociology, you're the only other person I've seen that's doing sociology and politics though!
Reply 175
Thanks for your advice JRJ, good to hear from someone as wise and weathered as yourself, but most people asking for reading lists now have reasons for that... It's not just out of pure ignorance and shear fear of what's coming. We just might be people who , for example are at work, have less time, so have to start reading earlier. Or, possibly, we JUST might want to be better prepared, or simply LIKE the subject we're about to study very much, and don't mind at all reading on the subject earlier then required.
That's SPEAKING as media graduate, but also mature psychology 1st year student.
Didn't get accommodation. :frown: Anyone else in the same position?
Reply 177
LIKE i mentioned before, they usually (atleast they did for media), give out reading packs with the specific and important chapters of all the books you need to read every week. It is often recommended that you do NOT need to buy every book, unless obviously you want to read it in it's entirety. So do not worry if you go into first year with no books whatsoever.
Reply 178
Original post by OriginOfShowbiz

Why didn't you get accommodation?
Reply 179
Original post by OriginOfShowbiz

Hi, did you not get accommodation because you live in London? I'm in the same boat but still need to move closer to the campus as I live way too west to commute. Are you going to go in for a house/flat share?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending