The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2011/2012 chat thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm going next academic year (2012/2013), but we've just begun our planning stage. I'm hoping to go to the University of Washington..if anyone has any tips or experience I'd love to hear it!
Reply 41
I'm off to Vancouver in September - can't wait!

What is everyone doing with regards luggage? What are peoples weight limits and are they going to ship some stuff out etc? I have a 20kilo limit and don't know what I'm going to do because I definitely think I need to take more than that!
I have 20kg and my suitcase weighs 5 kilos without anything in it! :s-smilie: And then 10kg cabin. I reckon I will try to reduce what I think I need to take as much as possible, it's going to be hard though - I came home from uni last year with 2 cars full of stuff :eek: But if I really need to (which, knowing me, I probably will) I will get some stuff shipped. Someone recommended this company to me http://www.parcelsplease.co.uk/ I think it will mainly be clothes that I need, plus when I go it will be the end of summer but when I come home for Christmas it will be winter so I will need a wider selection.
Original post by 04morley
I'm off to Vancouver in September - can't wait!

What is everyone doing with regards luggage? What are peoples weight limits and are they going to ship some stuff out etc? I have a 20kilo limit and don't know what I'm going to do because I definitely think I need to take more than that!

My limit is 23kg I think. I've generally been told that you don't need to take as much as you think. Obviously some things have to be taken with you but anything like bedding/household stuff can all be bought when you're there. I know at some schools they will actually organise a trip to Walmart etc as part of international orientation week to help you get all that kinda stuff; it's much cheaper than in the UK, too.

In terms of clothes, it depends how much money you're taking. I plan to buy tons of new clothes when I get there, so I'm not taking too much with me! More problematic issues arise from things like my Xbox and my guitar, though.
I hadn't been on TSR for ages until recently, and I completely forgot about this thread!

There's so many of you going to the US and Canada; I really thought there would be more Erasmus students.

How's everyone feeling about it all now? :biggrin:

Original post by CPH<3
I'm going to University of Sheffield in September, but only for a semester. Definitely looking forward to it :smile:
Btw, I'm from Copenhagen - it's a lovely place, you should be very excited. You can always take short weekend trips to Vienna and Prague, plane tickets aren't very expensive and there are also trains and busses. Copenhagen is quite central and we have good links to most of Europe :P All the exchange students I've spoken with have also been to Russia for some reason, so you can look forward to that.

And good luck learning Danish :biggrin:

Haha, thank you for the luck (I most definitely need it!). When do you leave for Sheffield? Would be good to have a local contact who can tell me the best deals for banking, mobile phone etc!
I'm flying out on the 2nd and I'm starting to get really nervous! I have a place at Bispebjerg Kollegiet...is Bispebjerg an ok area? Also, is your home institution KU?

Let me know if you need any UK advice..I don't know Sheffield at all, but I'll be more than happy to help you with anything I can.

Original post by -honeybee-
I have 20kg and my suitcase weighs 5 kilos without anything in it! :s-smilie: And then 10kg cabin. I reckon I will try to reduce what I think I need to take as much as possible, it's going to be hard though - I came home from uni last year with 2 cars full of stuff :eek: But if I really need to (which, knowing me, I probably will) I will get some stuff shipped. Someone recommended this company to me http://www.parcelsplease.co.uk/ I think it will mainly be clothes that I need, plus when I go it will be the end of summer but when I come home for Christmas it will be winter so I will need a wider selection.

Same! I went out and bought the biggest, lightest suitcase I could find, but it still takes up 5/23kg of my luggage allowance! My parents keep saying they can send me stuff, but I'm very conscious of the fact that I'll eventually have to bring back everything that makes it out to Copenhagen :erm:
I found this site yesterday, whilst browsing through Facebook groups. It's kind of like a social network for exchange students; you have a profile, you can message other people going to the same city/uni, there are forums and information/reviews for some places. It doesn't seem too great for American unis, but it's probably still worth a look.
http://www.erasmusu.com/en/home

Original post by RamocitoMorales
After my exams, which I really should be revising for right now. :sad:

So....are you in?
Reply 46
Original post by >Anna<

Haha, thank you for the luck (I most definitely need it!). When do you leave for Sheffield? Would be good to have a local contact who can tell me the best deals for banking, mobile phone etc!
I'm flying out on the 2nd and I'm starting to get really nervous! I have a place at Bispebjerg Kollegiet...is Bispebjerg an ok area? Also, is your home institution KU?

Let me know if you need any UK advice..I don't know Sheffield at all, but I'll be more than happy to help you with anything I can.

Oooh, Bispebjerg kollgiet is very pretty and modern. You’re lucky you have a place to stay. I go to Copenhagen Business School, and a lot of the international students coming here are still looking for accommodation. It’s really hard to find anything good in Copenhagen that’s affordable :P
The area is okay. You’ll meet a few sketchy types, but you really can’t avoid that anywhere in Copenhagen, so don’t worry, just don't go alone at night and whatever everyone's always saying anyway :wink: and it’s close to a train station, so getting anywhere will be nice and easy

The best mobile phone deal at the moment is from CallMe. They have cheap calling, cheap texts and as an added bonus it’s really cheap to call international landlines (NOT cellphones!!), in case you want to call home or something, so I’d definitely recommend that. Plus, you can pick the last digits of your number, which is pretty cool :P

I leave for Sheffield 18 September, I’ll be more than happy to help you with anything :smile: Also, if you're not planning on getting a bike (if you do, get a cheap one, bikes often disappear in Copenhagen), you should be ready to pay about 300 DKK for a monthly pass, but then you can drive around as much as you want in Copenhagen. It's totally worth it and covers busses, trains and metro. Get zone 01 and 02, that's central Copenhagen and all you'll ever need.

Also, I'm totally planning on bringing two suitcases, I don't even care :P 23kg is just NOT enough, what about all my shoes?!
Original post by CPH<3
Oooh, Bispebjerg kollgiet is very pretty and modern. You’re lucky you have a place to stay. I go to Copenhagen Business School, and a lot of the international students coming here are still looking for accommodation. It’s really hard to find anything good in Copenhagen that’s affordable :P
The area is okay. You’ll meet a few sketchy types, but you really can’t avoid that anywhere in Copenhagen, so don’t worry, just don't go alone at night and whatever everyone's always saying anyway :wink: and it’s close to a train station, so getting anywhere will be nice and easy

The best mobile phone deal at the moment is from CallMe. They have cheap calling, cheap texts and as an added bonus it’s really cheap to call international landlines (NOT cellphones!!), in case you want to call home or something, so I’d definitely recommend that. Plus, you can pick the last digits of your number, which is pretty cool :P

I leave for Sheffield 18 September, I’ll be more than happy to help you with anything :smile: Also, if you're not planning on getting a bike (if you do, get a cheap one, bikes often disappear in Copenhagen), you should be ready to pay about 300 DKK for a monthly pass, but then you can drive around as much as you want in Copenhagen. It's totally worth it and covers busses, trains and metro. Get zone 01 and 02, that's central Copenhagen and all you'll ever need.

Also, I'm totally planning on bringing two suitcases, I don't even care :P 23kg is just NOT enough, what about all my shoes?!

Yeah, I'm on a load of Facebook groups and I've got talking to some Italian guys, who'll be at CBS, and they're going crazy looking for somewhere! It's the same at KU though; I'm definitely lucky to have a place in the kollegiet.

Ah, thanks for the info on CallMe! I've asked a couple of people before, and no one's mentioned them. The only thing is that I have a Blackberry so, preferably, I'd like a network that support Blackberry services. I did a little internet research and my findings seem to suggest that 3 is the only network to do so in Denmark?

Hmm, I might get a pass for August because I'll be living in Bispebjerg and studying Danish at KUA, which I think are quite far apart (bearing in mind class starts at 9am :p:)?

Hahaha, you're so like me...shoes :suith: I have no idea how I'm going to choose what to take :nooo: I guess I'll take sensible flat ones mostly.. My mum keeps telling me to buy warm boots for winter; do you think it's necessary?

Under 2 weeks until I arrive now! :eek:

And please ask me if you have any questions about the UK!
Original post by CPH<3
x

Also, how much can I expect to pay for a haircut in CPH? I have very long hair (waist-length) if that makes any difference.
Reply 49
Original post by >Anna<
Also, how much can I expect to pay for a haircut in CPH? I have very long hair (waist-length) if that makes any difference.

Aaaah, BlackBerry <3 I have one too, but then realised how stupidly expensive Blackberry internet service is :P 3 and Telenor are the only ones offering it in Denmark, and it costs the same (130DKK + whichever other deal you want pr. month - free texts, free calling, whatevers), so it doesn’t matter which one you pick. What sort of Blackberry deals do they have in UK?

Well, if this winter is ANYTHING like last winter, you’re gonna need warm boots :P Listen to your mum. Mothers are always right for some reason, it’s just not fair. Also, if you don’t get the monthly pass but still take the bus/train/metro be sure to buy a ticket EVERY time. Fines are freaking expensive (750DKK), and they check often :P

Haircuts depend a LOT on where you go, and from what I’ve heard from the exchange students they think it’s quite expensive. You can get a haircut at the hairdresser school (done by a student, but with a teacher watching) for 100 DKK, that’s definitely the cheapest you’ll find in Copenhagen. If you’re willing to pay more, and actually want an educated hairdresser, I can recommend CPH Hair on Sønderboulevard. A haircut costs around 320 DKK there, but they’re very very good.

Aaaaaaah, 2 weeks!!! SO EXCITING! :excited:

I actually do have a question about UK xD People keep telling me to expect lots of rain… Just exactly how much rain should I expect?! Like… every day? Every week? The entire autumn? Will I need to bring a pair of wellies and several umbrellas?
Original post by CPH<3
Aaaah, BlackBerry &lt;3 I have one too, but then realised how stupidly expensive Blackberry internet service is :P 3 and Telenor are the only ones offering it in Denmark, and it costs the same (130DKK + whichever other deal you want pr. month - free texts, free calling, whatevers), so it doesn’t matter which one you pick. What sort of Blackberry deals do they have in UK?

Well, if this winter is ANYTHING like last winter, you’re gonna need warm boots :P Listen to your mum. Mothers are always right for some reason, it’s just not fair. Also, if you don’t get the monthly pass but still take the bus/train/metro be sure to buy a ticket EVERY time. Fines are freaking expensive (750DKK), and they check often :P

Haircuts depend a LOT on where you go, and from what I’ve heard from the exchange students they think it’s quite expensive. You can get a haircut at the hairdresser school (done by a student, but with a teacher watching) for 100 DKK, that’s definitely the cheapest you’ll find in Copenhagen. If you’re willing to pay more, and actually want an educated hairdresser, I can recommend CPH Hair on Sønderboulevard. A haircut costs around 320 DKK there, but they’re very very good.

Aaaaaaah, 2 weeks!!! SO EXCITING! :excited:

I actually do have a question about UK xD People keep telling me to expect lots of rain… Just exactly how much rain should I expect?! Like… every day? Every week? The entire autumn? Will I need to bring a pair of wellies and several umbrellas?

Wow, really? That much for BB internet services? ...I'm not sure if it's really worth it or not :erm: Would I have to get a fixed term contract? And I need a CPR number to get a contract, or so I hear, and I'm not sure how long after arrival I'll have to wait to get it.
Here I have a rolling 1 month contract with 3 for £15 a month, and then BB services are another £5 on top. I think for that I have 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB internet + services.

OK...I'll listen to you :p: I've already bought a big waterproof, fleece-lined jacket! And yeah, I'll buy the ticket! I'm a good girl :biggrin: :angel:

Hmm, I guess I'll get my hair cut here and then see what happens once I'm out there. 320DKK doesn't sound horrendous though! I've paid over £50 just for a wash, cut and blow dry here before! (not to freak you out, prices vary wildly)

Exciting..yeah, I guess :p: Getting really nervous though! So many things to think about...stupid things...like banking and mobile phones and bedding. Any recommendations on banks? Will I have to pay to open an account? And my parents are thinking about sending me my bedding (:lol:); what happens if they try to deliver it while I'm out?

Wellies and an umbrella are definitely a good idea! My german flatmate's mother said to me 'I thought I knew rain, and then I came to the UK'. I think our climates are quite similar, from what I've read, but it's maybe slightly milder here. As for the frequency of rain...it's not something you can measure really! Sometimes there can be weeks on end with barely no rain, and then you can have periods of feeling like it's never going to stop.
Original post by CPH<3

Are you going to Sheffield? (Sorry cba to look back and check) I'm at uni there.

It does rain a fair bit in Britain but not excessively. Sheffield is a pretty rainy place though. You don't need to bring wellies/umbrellas as you can pick them up cheaply here and I would imagine wellies will add a fair bit of weight to your luggage. And you would only need wellies if it snows, normal rain doesn't mean you'll be wading through a foot of water.
Reply 52
Original post by >Anna<

You can get your CPR number as soon as you have your residence permit and proof of where you’re studying. At CBS the international office takes care of the residence permit, they have to sign some things and stuff, but it’s very quickly done. I don’t think there’s a fixed term, but you definitely won’t find anything as cheap as what you have now :P

Hmm, I don’t think it costs anything to open a bank account, but you will need your CPR number first. I’d recommend Danske Bank as they’re found almost everywhere you might need a bank in Copenhagen (shopping street, close to night clubs, every shopping centre), and they’re usually nice and helpful.

Oh jeez, £50? I might just not cut my hair the entire semester :P

Hahahaha, lovely. Yeah, I’m going to Sheffield, so so SO excited now, still waiting for my accommodation offer though! Any idea which stores sell cheap wellies? Also, where can I get cheap kitchen stuff, like plates, frying pans, cutlery? From what I understand the uni doesn’t provide any of that, right?
Original post by CPH<3
Hahahaha, lovely. Yeah, I’m going to Sheffield, so so SO excited now, still waiting for my accommodation offer though! Any idea which stores sell cheap wellies? Also, where can I get cheap kitchen stuff, like plates, frying pans, cutlery? From what I understand the uni doesn’t provide any of that, right?

In autumn/winter most clothes shops will have wellies in - cheap places are Primark, New Look, T K Maxx but most high street shops shouldn't be more than £20. There are also a load of cheapy shoe shops around the Moor where you could probs get some for £5/10.

No uni doesn't supply anything like that but I think you can buy a 'pack' from them, although I have no idea what's in it and it's probably cheaper to get it yourself. You will also need a duvet/pillows/towels. Uni supplies things like iron + ironing board, toaster etc. In Fresher's Week there is a trip to Ikea (in Nottingham, so they arrange a bus) which is obviously cheap. Or you could try Matalan, any supermarket, Wilkinsons. Or really cheap places like Home Bargains or pound shops.

Which accomodation have you applied for?
Original post by CPH<3
You can get your CPR number as soon as you have your residence permit and proof of where you’re studying. At CBS the international office takes care of the residence permit, they have to sign some things and stuff, but it’s very quickly done. I don’t think there’s a fixed term, but you definitely won’t find anything as cheap as what you have now :P

Hmm, I don’t think it costs anything to open a bank account, but you will need your CPR number first. I’d recommend Danske Bank as they’re found almost everywhere you might need a bank in Copenhagen (shopping street, close to night clubs, every shopping centre), and they’re usually nice and helpful.

Oh jeez, £50? I might just not cut my hair the entire semester :P

Ah, that would be nice if the international office took care of it! I think I'm going to ask about it as soon as I arrive, or maybe even send them an email before and ask how it works.
Haha, yeah, looks like Denmark will be quite expensive for a lot of things compared to what I'm used to :emo:

A hair cut shouldn't cost that much, really...I live in a village and that was the price at the kind of 'posh' hair dresser we have. Some places will do it for as cheap as £15, but I'd do a bit of research (maybe ask other students and see what they say) first.

For your kitchen stuff, I'd say try charity shops first. And then pick up whatever else you need from Asda.

As for wellies, you'll be able to find them in loads of different clothing and shoe shops. You might even be able to find them in big supermarkets that sell clothes too, and they'll definitely be cheap. And then, of course, there's always online shopping too.

How much do you pay for your phone each month and what do you get? (if you don't mind me asking)?
Reply 55
Sounds like most places have wellies, that’s great, should be able to find something then :smile:

Which accomodation have you applied for?

I LOVE IKEA! :P I will definitely be going! And I had basically zero choice in accom.. I could only choose between catered/self-catered and en-suite/shared bathroom. Since I’m only there for a semester they’re just gonna throw me in with the rest of the exchange students only there for a semester. I put self-catered + en-suite as number one though, like everyone else :wink: I saw people are starting to get their accommodation now, so I’m excitedly awaiting mine. The one-semester students who have their letter have gotten Crescent Flats or Lawrencefield, so odds are I’ll end up one of those places :P Are they any good?

Original post by >Anna<
How much do you pay for your phone each month and what do you get? (if you don't mind me asking)?

Atm I have a contract through my dad’s job, so I pay almost nothing (50DKK for unlimited texting and 120 minutes), but it doesn’t include blackberry internet service, which really sucks, I’m stealing wi-fi wherever I can >.< The contract runs out in December though, and I think I’m going to get a deal through 3 or Telenor when I get back from Sheffield. I have heard better things about 3 than Telenor but switching to Telenor is free, whereas 3 makes you pay 249DKK just to sign up. I think I'll end up getting BIS + 1GB and then add unlimited texting, so in the end it'll be 180DKK pr. month, which isn't too bad.
Original post by CPH<3
Atm I have a contract through my dad’s job, so I pay almost nothing (50DKK for unlimited texting and 120 minutes), but it doesn’t include blackberry internet service, which really sucks, I’m stealing wi-fi wherever I can &gt;.&lt; The contract runs out in December though, and I think I’m going to get a deal through 3 or Telenor when I get back from Sheffield. I have heard better things about 3 than Telenor but switching to Telenor is free, whereas 3 makes you pay 249DKK just to sign up. I think I'll end up getting BIS + 1GB and then add unlimited texting, so in the end it'll be 180DKK pr. month, which isn't too bad.

Ooh, is that really all it costs? I looked at 3s website and I thought I'd have to pay 350DKK, or something like that, per month :confused: Are these rolling contracts or are they for a set term?

Any other general tips for CPH? :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by >Anna<
Ooh, is that really all it costs? I looked at 3s website and I thought I'd have to pay 350DKK, or something like that, per month :confused: Are these rolling contracts or are they for a set term?

Any other general tips for CPH? :smile:

The 180 is with Telenor and I think it's with the cheapest deal ever and you'd still have to pay for all the minutes you use :P It's a rolling contract, but I think you'll have to go to one of their stores to get it set up. There's one near the shopping street and KU though, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh the package thing. If you're not there when they deliver it, they'll leave a note telling you to pick it up at the posthouse the following day :smile: Hmm... other tips... If you ever want to eat out and not blow your budget I can recommend café Dalle Valle: 1/2 price on all the food Saturday to Tuesday. They have lots to pick from and it tastes fine :smile:
Original post by CPH<3
The 180 is with Telenor and I think it's with the cheapest deal ever and you'd still have to pay for all the minutes you use :P It's a rolling contract, but I think you'll have to go to one of their stores to get it set up. There's one near the shopping street and KU though, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh the package thing. If you're not there when they deliver it, they'll leave a note telling you to pick it up at the posthouse the following day :smile: Hmm... other tips... If you ever want to eat out and not blow your budget I can recommend café Dalle Valle: 1/2 price on all the food Saturday to Tuesday. They have lots to pick from and it tastes fine :smile:

Hmmm, I don't know. I'm tempted to just get a really cheap deal and not bother with the BIS. You said the BIS costs 150DKK without anything else, right?

By the way, where do you live at the moment? Are you in a college or do you have a flat?

Ooh, that place looks nice! Are those prices average for CPH? Thanks for all your help! :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by >Anna<
Hmmm, I don't know. I'm tempted to just get a really cheap deal and not bother with the BIS. You said the BIS costs 150DKK without anything else, right?

By the way, where do you live at the moment? Are you in a college or do you have a flat?

Ooh, that place looks nice! Are those prices average for CPH? Thanks for all your help! :smile:

130 without anything else, but you can't get it without also buying an extra deal like unlimited texting or something, absolutely sucks :frown:

Normally I live in Frederiksberg which is very close to CBS, but I've rented out my apartment so at the moment I live at home 20 minutes outside of Copenhagen :P It's fine, busses and trains go straight to the centre of Copenhagen, so I'll survive since it's not for too long.

The prices are some of the cheaper ones you'll find if you want food that tastes good, and with half price is't just even cheaper. It's a good place to start if you're planning on going out later since it's so central, there are always loads of people on those days though, so be prepared to wait for 20 minutes or something for a table :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending