The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So after tonight's convo, my friends now unanimously think I'm the 'Ross' out of our lot! :shock:

Yeah, Ross is cool (kinda), but Chandler is soooo much cooler! Why couldn't I be the Chandler? Apparently, I'm also more JD than Turk! I think they are telling me something here, something I refuse to believe... :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Medicine Man
So after tonight's convo, my friends now unanimously think I'm the 'Ross' out of our lot! :shock:

Yeah, Ross is cool (kinda), but Chandler is soooo much cooler! Why couldn't I be the Chandler? Apparently, I'm also more JD than Turk! I think they are telling me something here, something I refuse to believe... :p:

Could be worse, I was told I was the Phoebe. Goddammit.

In other news have been assigned Chichester for first rotation next year doing gastro/renal/endo. Should be ace.
Reply 4642
Original post by Mushi_master

In other news have been assigned Chichester for first rotation next year doing gastro/renal/endo. Should be ace.

Chichester's supposed to be great, everyone I know who went there for a rotation loved it.

Abdo is a really good first rotation, a lot of what you cover should give you a decent grounding in gen med which is useful for the following rotations. I had abdo last and found it helped me make sense of things from the previous two. Oh - assuming they haven't changed the exam format in the last year, which is possible knowing the admin dept - if the last written paper is still data interpretation, the book Data Interpretation for Medical Students is a must.

Being in a DGH is fab too, ignore all the people who moan about it. Fewer students so you're not just another face in the crowd, and you usually get more time and better teaching from the teams you're with. I've picked DGHs for both my final year hospital rotations for that reason.
Original post by Syncope
Chichester's supposed to be great, everyone I know who went there for a rotation loved it.

Abdo is a really good first rotation, a lot of what you cover should give you a decent grounding in gen med which is useful for the following rotations. I had abdo last and found it helped me make sense of things from the previous two. Oh - assuming they haven't changed the exam format in the last year, which is possible knowing the admin dept - if the last written paper is still data interpretation, the book Data Interpretation for Medical Students is a must.

Being in a DGH is fab too, ignore all the people who moan about it. Fewer students so you're not just another face in the crowd, and you usually get more time and better teaching from the teams you're with. I've picked DGHs for both my final year hospital rotations for that reason.

Sounds like a good deal then! I actually requested to go out (as suggested by my fourth year housemates - you may know them!), and Chichester was my first choice, although mainly for location as it's just as easy to get back to the South-West as it is to get to London.

Where'd you get for your rotations then? I'd be very tempted by Salisbury myself, lovely place.
Reply 4644
Hoooray Ob&Gyn all passed and sorted!!! :biggrin:

Now just to wait for those annoying Paediatrics written paper results... *sigh*
Original post by crazylemon
Good luck! How worried are you? Should be fine.

I have found out one of my friends failed everything...1 month to learn a whole year...I have a feeling we will be down 1 next year. Another failed 1. The worst 1. Really really sucks.

what a ridiculous username.
Original post by crazylemon
Good luck! How worried are you? Should be fine.

I have found out one of my friends failed everything...1 month to learn a whole year...I have a feeling we will be down 1 next year. Another failed 1. The worst 1. Really really sucks.

How worried? On a scale of fear, it's right up there. We don't have third year resits, you repeat the year, + no ibsc for me. So, no, that would be sub-optimal.
Reply 4647
1 more day until 4 weeks of freedom...
Reply 4648
Sounds like a good deal then! I actually requested to go out (as suggested by my fourth year housemates - you may know them!), and Chichester was my first choice, although mainly for location as it's just as easy to get back to the South-West as it is to get to London.

Where'd you get for your rotations then? I'd be very tempted by Salisbury myself, lovely place.

I've got GP first - no idea where yet, they haven't released the allocations despite telling us we'd have them before exams. :rolleyes: Then surgery at Dartford, then medicine in Canterbury last. Very happy with that!

Disclaimer: this is all dependant on results on Friday.
Have begun obsessively checking the med school intranet to see if timetables and placement details are up for next year yet. Nothing so far. Starting to see a pattern though, obsessively checking UCAS Track, obsessively checking intranet. Is it a medic thing?
Reply 4650
4 days until freedom... I can't bloody wait! I think George's breaks the record for the longest third year there is

Sorry to butt in but was searching for something and this thread came up. If anyone needs any info about the hosp at Chichester, location, city centre, where best for food et al please give me a shout - know the area and the hospital very very well :smile:
Reply 4652
...amagawd I'm now officially a finalist! *weeps in joy*
Original post by Skwee

Well done. :awesome:
Reply 4654
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Well done. :awesome:

Thank you m'dearrr! I feel nearly like a grown up... :cool: Now the joys of looking forward to full-time, non-paid slavery placements...well at least we don't get any exams in year 6 I suppose! Might retake a couple of them in order to improve grades below 80% though...
Original post by Skwee
Thank you m'dearrr! I feel nearly like a grown up... :cool: Now the joys of looking forward to full-time, non-paid slavery placements...well at least we don't get any exams in year 6 I suppose! Might retake a couple of them in order to improve grades below 80% though...

Do they let you do that? We aren't allowed to retake to improve grades, only to pass.
Reply 4656
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Do they let you do that? We aren't allowed to retake to improve grades, only to pass.

Yeah, they do (I'm not studying in the UK, though!) - we're allowed one retake to try and improve an exam result, and the final grade is whichever the best result was (which is pretty good); the only difference is that sometimes it's, say, an oral exam with your tutor and the Head of that subject/department instead of the usual written paper and/or OSCE. And I'm too knackered to face the Head of Surgery this semester! :P
Reply 4657
Original post by Skwee

Congratulations!

... me too! :banana: Can't quite decide whether to celebrate or panic...
Reply 4658
Anyone know if you can do academic medicine outside of london/the big deaneries?

I'd quite like to move down to the coast and out of London, somewhere like Dorset or Brighton, maybe Bristol - would it still be possible to pursue academic medicine at a DG there?

Thank you
Reply 4659
Original post by buzzcat
Anyone know if you can do academic medicine outside of london/the big deaneries?

I'd quite like to move down to the coast and out of London, somewhere like Dorset or Brighton, maybe Bristol - would it still be possible to pursue academic medicine at a DG there?

Thank you

http://www.stfs.org.uk/tfs-academic-foundation-programme-recruitment#attachments has info on the academic programme for the Thames Foundation School - if you check out the attachments at the bottom there's an Excel spreadsheet with all the posts available this year, including which hospitals they're in. Includes Brighton.

I would imagine the various other foundation schools in the country will probably have something similar, if you check out their websites?

Latest