The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by nightmare91
I am actually also thinking about applying to Durham. Didn't know either that you have to choose a college... They don't have as many as Oxbridge do they? :tongue: Oh I've just realised they increased the offer for Germans, now it's as high as for Oxbridge and LSE, that doesn't make sense :biggrin:

Unfortunately it's just as high for UK students too A*AA :frown:
Since my GCSE's i've always considered Oxford as the dream... but honestly I hadn't done a lot of in depth research into it (beyond visiting etc)

I've started to consider Cambridge, and really research into whether I want to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge.

Anyone want to state which they chose, and their reasoning behind it? Others opinions could be useful as well, but I fully understand it's what's best for me personally so leave out the banter ;D
Original post by Jorgeyy
Since my GCSE's i've always considered Oxford as the dream... but honestly I hadn't done a lot of in depth research into it (beyond visiting etc)

I've started to consider Cambridge, and really research into whether I want to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge.

Anyone want to state which they chose, and their reasoning behind it? Others opinions could be useful as well, but I fully understand it's what's best for me personally so leave out the banter ;D

I chose Oxford because I like the course structure better. It basically comes down to whether you want to do Management or not. Cambridge and Oxford are more similar than different. So if you prefer a more essay-approach towards economics and also like Management, then choose Oxford. If you want it to be more quanitative and you only want to do Econ, choose Cambridge :smile:. A personal reason for me was also that Oxford only invites those who have a a reasonable chance (30%). Cambridge invite about 90% if I'm not mistaken. Since I'm from Germany I only want to pay for a flight if they really think I have a chance otherwise it is a waste of money for me.

But that's just my personal opinion :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Unfortunately it's just as high for UK students too A*AA :frown:

Yea I saw that :frown:. It's getting more and more difficult every year. I mean, what will they expect in 2 years? A*A*A*?:tongue: It's crazy
Reply 1344
I chose Oxford because I like the course structure better. It basically comes down to whether you want to do Management or not. Cambridge and Oxford are more similar than different. So if you prefer a more essay-approach towards economics and also like Management, then choose Oxford. If you want it to be more quanitative and you only want to do Econ, choose Cambridge :smile:. A personal reason for me was also that Oxford only invites those who have a a reasonable chance (30%). Cambridge invite about 90% if I'm not mistaken. Since I'm from Germany I only want to pay for a flight if they really think I have a chance otherwise it is a waste of money for me.

Good reasoning :smile: I basically chose Cambridge because I prefer the quantitative degree and am not interested in doing management!

Thanks!

Cambridge offer 90% an interview? Wow lol
Reply 1346
Original post by Jorgeyy
Thanks!

Cambridge offer 90% an interview? Wow lol

I'm not sure about the stat. One of the fellows at Churchill College told me about 50-60 applied for 6 Economics places and about 28 got called in for interview.
Original post by zxh800
I'm not sure about the stat. One of the fellows at Churchill College told me about 50-60 applied for 6 Economics places and about 28 got called in for interview.

Yep, I think I was mistaken. It is 90% overall for all courses combined but economics has about 60%.
Yep, I think I was mistaken. It is 90% overall for all courses combined but economics has about 60%.

I know Economics is very competitive but I would've thought that more than 60% of applicants got called to interview. :dontknow:
Reply 1349

Pretty sure economics is just as high as other courses...
Original post by alex_hk90
I know Economics is very competitive but I would've thought that more than 60% of applicants got called to interview. :dontknow:

It probably also varies each year. This year has been the most competitive year ever. But I don't know, someone told me this who is applying to Cambridge and asked a tutor at the Open Day. I'm not sure if he talked about the applicants to the college or of all students that apply to Cambridge. Compared to Oxford though they invite more applicants. :smile:
Reply 1351
Anyone seen the Guardian's university guide for Economics 2012? It's a bit strange.. Surrey, Essex and Kent are all ranked higher than Bath.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-economics
Original post by Hemzo
Anyone seen the Guardian's university guide for Economics 2012? It's a bit strange.. Surrey, Essex and Kent are all ranked higher than Bath.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-economics

Wow, this ranking really sucks. UCL only 11th? lol
Reply 1353
Original post by Hemzo

The Times has a better ranking in my opinion! I only took a glance at it in Waterstones, but I think it's something like:

Cambridge

Oxford

LSE

UCL

Warwick

Bath

St. Andrews

Durham

How on earth is Buckingham that high? The entry requirements are 300 UCAS points (BBB). Similarly with Heriot-Watt, you need BBB.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1354
Out of curiousity, are you guys applying for straight Economics? (that's me)

Or are you more interested in joint degrees or a specific kind of Economics course such as Development Economics?

i thought we could perhaps share!
Reply 1355
Straight Econ for me. Although, I may chicken out and apply for a joint course at LSE due to the near impossibility of getting into straight econ there (no one has ever gotten in for straight econ from my school).
Original post by tiffster

Or are you more interested in joint degrees or a specific kind of Economics course such as Development Economics?

Straight Economics for me at all 5 (although I still don't know what to put as a 5th). I would have done Economics and Economic History at Warwick but apparently it's very hard to appeal to that and straight Econ at others in 1 PS.

3 of my choices are straight econ. The other two are E&M at Oxford and Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL. :smile:. Problem with joint degrees is always how to write a proper PS. Luckily I don't have to write anything about management for Oxford but for UCL I also have to include some stats somehow :s-smilie:

I'll be going for Economics with German/ Economics with a year abroad (Germany)

:smile:
Original post by zxh800
Straight Econ for me. Although, I may chicken out and apply for a joint course at LSE due to the near impossibility of getting into straight econ there (no one has ever gotten in for straight econ from my school).

I'm sure you know this already, but if you do go for a joint course at LSE, you'll have to consider if your PS will work for the other unis as LSE are picky on wanting to see the composition of your PS matching that of the course.

Latest

Trending

Trending