The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This should be a good thread *subscribes*
Oxford

Edit: Haha! I love the negs I'm getting for this, it makes me laugh that people actually thought I was serious. Sub-zero IQ much?
(edited 12 years ago)
This is going to end well.
Reply 4
Original post by QI Elf
You do realise the Russell Group literally means nothing, yes, especially for undergrads? Some top unis such as Durham aren't even in it when other unis often percieved to be less prestigious are.

Actually I've been advised by quite a few people that the Russell Group are research based and carry quite a lot of prestige within industries and are a good starting point for employers.
I know many places like Durham, Loughborough, Exeter etc. are not in the group, but the majority of Top Universities are . .

So the Russell Group does mean some, if not all that much, it does carry quite a lot of prestige.

Anyway, that wasn't my question . . it was which is the WORST! :smile:
Reply 5
I'd say Queens Belfast..
Reply 6
No idea, but you should pick your university based on course content and on if you feel comfortable there.
Reply 7
Yes because this forum will have graduate students that would have attended all 20 universities and would thus be able to offer detailed unbiased opinions

Bit of advice if you don't mind: go boil your head
Original post by HurricaneDominic
I understand it will depend on which subject you study, but in general which is the 'worst' or is 'weaker' than others?

Also, are ALL the Russell Group Universities 'prestigious' or are some of them not that great in the eyes of industries/employers.

THANKS! :smile:

Queens University Belfast, closely followed by Cardiff and Newcastle.

They are good universities, but they are certainly not on any sort of par with the likes of Oxford, Cambridge, KCL, LSE, etc. etc.

NB: some criteria would be nice --- such as Results, Teaching, Research, etc.
People seem to be very hung up on the "Russell Group" thing, it's mainly a coalition of research-based universities who gathered together for lobbying purposes, although their website also claims they seek "academic excellence in teaching".

To please OP though I will have a stab at his question and say that probably Southampton and Liverpool are a little weaker and less well-regarded overall than some of the others. (If you neg me, please pos me for my bravery as well. :smile: ) Being at Bristol, I naturally assume it to be in the top 10. :smile:
KCL.

The only ex-poly in the group.

*trollface*
You'll be sorted getting a degree from any of them. I don't think you could categorically say that there is a "worst" one.
Reply 12
Original post by Dreizhen
Yes because this forum will have graduate students that would have attended all 20 universities and would thus be able to offer detailed unbiased opinions

Bit of advice if you don't mind: go boil your head

Was that aimed at me?
To be honest it's a little bit sad that your reply couldn't have been a little more interesting . .
Thanks for wasting my time. Oh and some people are very clued up on Universities and could give me a few ideas.
Oh shut up. :facepalm:
Reply 14
Original post by nicatre
No idea, but you should pick your university based on course content and on if you feel comfortable there.

I'm NOT basing my choices on 'Russell Group' Universities . .

My question is just a general question, I already know which Universities I am applying to and only 1 or 2 will be in the Russell Group.

:wink:
Was that aimed at me?
To be honest it's a little bit sad that your reply couldn't have been a little more interesting . .
Thanks for wasting my time. Oh and some people are very clued up on Universities and could give me a few ideas.

Comparison is difficult but also we are all anxious to defend the reputation of the university we attend, as to do otherwise is to invite rumour-based panic, a collapse in the value of our college and a subsequent severe drop in career prospects.

All of this and worse can start with a simple statement in TSR like "Warwick is better than Cardiff" or "Manchester is worse than Newcastle".
Reply 16
I'm NOT basing my choices on 'Russell Group' Universities . .

My question is just a general question, I already know which Universities I am applying to and only 1 or 2 will be in the Russell Group.

:wink:

Ok that's fair :smile: sorry, too used to people screaming out on TSR about "which uni should I go to based on prestige" I just want to tell them to grow up hehe.

I honestly have no idea about the Russell Group ha, I'm at one but hey.
Reply 17
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Oh shut up. :facepalm:

TSR Royalty ...................... that's pretty sad.
Reply 18
Tier 1
University of Cambridge
Imperial College London
London School of Economics & Political Science
University of Oxford

Tier 2
University of Bristol
King's College London
University of Nottingham
University College London
University of Warwick

Tier 3
University of Birmingham
University of Edinburgh
University of Manchester
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool

Tier 4
Cardiff University
University of Glasgow
Newcastle University
Queen's University Belfast

Maybe some Tier 3 unis in Tier 2 depending on subjects.

Why dislike?

cannot accept this as a fact?
(edited 12 years ago)
When I read the list of RG uni's I was surprised to see Cardiff and Queens are in it. I don't associate those institutions with great prestige alhough that accounts for very little.

Also, I suspect southern snobbery is to blame for people thinking KCL is much better than uni's like Newcastle.

Latest

Trending

Trending