The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I think Inception needs a sequel.

Like, right now :colonhash:
Reply 3521
Just discovered that Brigitte Helm was only 17 when shooting for Metropolis began. :eek:
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

I could not disagree more.
Original post by Phalanges
I could not disagree more.

I don't see why they can't use the same concept of being able to enter a dream - but with a different story, characters etc.

I'm not saying I want "Inception 2: Leonardo Di'Caprio strikes Back", but a reitteration of the central thesis that made Inception such a brilliant film doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me :dontknow:

I don't see why they can't use the same concept of being able to enter a dream - but with a different story, characters etc.

I'm not saying I want "Inception 2: Leonardo Di'Caprio strikes Back", but a reitteration of the central thesis that made Inception such a brilliant film doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me :dontknow:

I think any duplication of the ideas would saturate the impact that the first had. Another film set in the same universe could work I guess, but I wouldn't really see that as a sequel.
Original post by Phalanges
I think any duplication of the ideas would saturate the impact that the first had. Another film set in the same universe could work I guess, but I wouldn't really see that as a sequel.

You're right. I didn't really mean 'sequel' as in another Nolan film in direct sequence to the previous film.

The concept is just so grand that I don't think it's beyond the capacity of Nolan and other writers to extend the central concept. Same concept: original story: new characters.
I wouldn't mind other media set in the universe. A game, for example, could theoretically be good fun if proper care and attention was given to it (although admittedly given the literally endless scope of the core concept it'd be incredibly hard to pull off). I'm not in favour of another film at all. It's not like Star Wars, where there's always more to be added. The emotional arc of the characters is complete, and any sequel involving the original cast would require that the ambiguous ending be clarified (which would be utterly, utterly criminal).
Reply 3528
Does anyone know any films about like school hostage situations or something similar? A film similar to Toy Soldiers, which is the only one I can think of atm? :holmes:
Reply 3529
Original post by Deshi
Does anyone know any films about like school hostage situations or something similar? A film similar to Toy Soldiers, which is the only one I can think of atm? :holmes:

Detention (2003) and Demolition High (1996).

Neither are particularly good, and the latter was a straight-to-video release.
Reply 3530

A prequel could be interesting. If they did do another Inception film, I'd hope it would be with a different set of characters using the same ideas, or maybe some of the same characters.
Original post by Pi!
A prequel could be interesting. If they did do another Inception film, I'd hope it would be with a different set of characters using the same ideas, or maybe some of the same characters.

I concurr.
Reply 3532
Was discussing something similar today, about the double standards a lot of people employ to filmmakers.

While some people are resolute in their conviction that there should only be one, unique, film made, it's inevitable that others - often the majority - will want to see the world that has been created expanded upon and another film created.

The issue then is that there is pressure for a filmmaker to make another film which, if good, leaves people clamouring for a further instalment. Eventually, we reach the position where a filmmaker turns out a film where the same people that were clamouring for sequel-isation believe that the concept has started to turn stale and elements of the film weren't as good as previous films.

It seems to happen with a lot of original concepts: people see the potential for further expansion, and want more from the concepts/world/characters have been created, until it reaches the point where everyone becomes sick of it and the filmmaker seems to be churning them out simply because they know it'll make a profit. For that reason, I believe that creating another film around a similar/the same concept should either be done as part of an ongoing trilogy or should be avoided altogether. It can work, of course, with sequels sometimes improving on the originals, but for the most part it leads to the film becoming a franchise which lasts longer than it reasonably should and eventually starts to taint the original and the entire series of films, with people saying they should have left it at the original.

I can at least understand it though. The double standard I really don't get is people who claim that releasing a trilogy (i.e. LotR) is a money-spinning venture, rather than just releasing a single film. These same people will then complain when a single film adaption of a lengthy text that they loved didn't cover every element of the story.
*bangs head against wall* Leave. Inception. Alone. Leave. Inception. Alone.
Reply 3534
Original post by boromir9111
Horrible Bosses looks good but no good print out :sigh:

Yo recommend me a good movie. Any genre.
Original post by zircom
Yo recommend me a good movie. Any genre.

Memento. Blood Diamond. Takers. Butterfly effect. Bad lieutenant. Bank job. The Town etc etc :smile:
Reply 3536
Original post by boromir9111
Memento. Blood Diamond. Takers. Butterfly effect. Bad lieutenant. Bank job. The Town etc etc :smile:

I've seen all of them except Bad Lieutenant. Ima give that a go. Cheers
Reply 3537
Horrible Bosses is one of the best all-round comedies I've seen in a long time; in terms of how funny it was, the plot and how it was acted. Definitely recommend.
Reply 3538
Freedom Writers is an excellent, and ultimately uplifting, depiction of (a true story based on) life for kids in a school in L.A. who live their lives either in gangs, associated with them or constantly in fear of them.
I would rather not have another film in the Inception universe. I like original ideas and films which focus around a strong concept. Sequels have a tendency to ruin it, which is why I like to pretend that there's no such thing as The Matrix Revelations and Revolutions.

Nolan should tackle time travel as his next core concept. He would do it so well. :coma:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending