The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by georgegabriel
Various NFL journos saying that this has been done to save face of owners and villainize the players..some players saying this has no chance

I wish they'd all stop being selfish, greedy bastards, put their lives and careers in perspective and then sort out a deal.

if true im a little impressed by the owners cunning as it probably would trick at least some of the fans and help reverse the prevailing the owners are the villains view

at the end of the day this is a major industrial dispute, sure as a fan i want it sorted as quickly as possible, but from a business perspective there are an awful lot of big and small issues to sort in such a large organisation as this and the more issues the more time as its how negotiation works due to human nature in most people (but not all i add) being more about what it can get rather than self sacrifice purely for others with no ulterior motive, and in fairness losing the pre season isnt the end of the world :/

in the mean time il just watch the replacements for the 500th time as its an epic american football film :biggrin:
Don't know if you guys have seen but Mark Ingram was involved in a car crash this morning. He's not hurt but if he was, my fantasy football team would have suffered a setback :angry: Glad he's not hurt though and I'm looking forward to seeing this guy play.
Reply 1822
Original post by Scott129
Don't know if you guys have seen but Mark Ingram was involved in a car crash this morning. He's not hurt but if he was, my fantasy football team would have suffered a setback :angry: Glad he's not hurt though and I'm looking forward to seeing this guy play.

considering how car crashes can go he was lucky not to get hurt, on another note im not sure he will be that good at least from a fantasy stand point anyway, if i remember right the saints running back core is a pretty crowded place so despite being the 1st pick i doubt he will get as many touches as a lot of other running backs in the nfl (especially considering the minimal time to learn plays)
Original post by Greg1989
considering how car crashes can go he was lucky not to get hurt, on another note im not sure he will be that good at least from a fantasy stand point anyway, if i remember right the saints running back core is a pretty crowded place so despite being the 1st pick i doubt he will get as many touches as a lot of other running backs in the nfl (especially considering the minimal time to learn plays)

Perhaps. But Reggie Bush is likely to leave, leaving Chris Ivory and Pierre Thomas, both I'm not completely sold on. I think Ingram could have an immediate impact, I reckon of all the rookies entering the NFL this year, he's up there with having one of the best chances. My personal prediction on him is that he's either going to be completely ineffective or have an incredible season and I'm leaning towards the latter.
Reply 1824
Perhaps. But Reggie Bush is likely to leave, leaving Chris Ivory and Pierre Thomas, both I'm not completely sold on. I think Ingram could have an immediate impact, I reckon of all the rookies entering the NFL this year, he's up there with having one of the best chances. My personal prediction on him is that he's either going to be completely ineffective or have an incredible season and I'm leaning towards the latter.

it will certainly be interesting to see how he gets on, i dont know much about him but if he can catch the ball well to he would have an even better chance, as i think when bush has been injured in the past they missed the receiving threat that he gave them and defences had to allow for, but i agree id be shocked if they keep him unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut
Original post by Rekyht
DeMaurice Smith

Is a total prick!
Original post by Greg1989
it will certainly be interesting to see how he gets on, i dont know much about him but if he can catch the ball well to he would have an even better chance, as i think when bush has been injured in the past they missed the receiving threat that he gave them and defences had to allow for, but i agree id be shocked if they keep him unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut

Reggie's been heavily linked with the Dolphins which I think would be a great move for them. They could do with a quality RB who is also a pass threat.
I just hope the Saints get a running game going this year. Brees threw more interceptions than ever before last year, mainly because of the lack of running threat, meaning he occasionally had to force passes in.
Reply 1827
Reggie's been heavily linked with the Dolphins which I think would be a great move for them. They could do with a quality RB who is also a pass threat.
I just hope the Saints get a running game going this year. Brees threw more interceptions than ever before last year, mainly because of the lack of running threat, meaning he occasionally had to force passes in.

please dont say that, im not saying your wrong, but im a jets fan so the last thing i want to hear is for a key rival to be improving :tongue:
couldnt agree more with the 2nd part though, its just a perfect example of how even an elite player can try to carry a one dimensional team but it leads to a much poorer performance than usual :/ not that reaching the playoffs is all that poor...then again there was the sea hawks debacle once there (but i put the blame on the defence for that one) :/
Original post by WharfedaleTiger
As I say I think he'll get quite a bit as the one thing we lack is a real posession reciever. Our O-Line still isn't great and thus we'll need to get the ball of quickly-either to Best in the backfield or to Pettigrew.

That said there are a dozen other TE's I'd take.

I'm slowly starting to agree with you.

My problem is anticipating how well Daniels will come back from injury.

If he is at full strength, then I would start him over Pettigrew. But part of me is starting to think that maybe he wont come back from injury at full strength and that I should go with the younger, healthier Pettigrew.

Hmmmm. I will get back to you...
Original post by paddy__power
Cutler seems like a pretty good bet for QB2. I'm hoping to pick him up being a Bears fan and all.

I wouldn't want him as my starter, no way. But he will be a great number 2 seeing as Vick has a bye week and will undoubtedly miss a few games due to injury.
Original post by The Patriot
I wouldn't want him as my starter, no way. But he will be a great number 2 seeing as Vick has a bye week and will undoubtedly miss a few games due to injury.

I would mind him as a late pick starter if it meant I could pick up some top players elsewhere. Obviously a pretty good QB2.

This lockout is annoying.
Original post by Dappaman
Im in

Good. Mailing you the info now. If you are a noob, then shout me and I will give you the info i sent to the newbies :smile:

500 yards, 5 touchdowns. 15-20 receptions. maybe 1 or 2 receiving TDs.

I think that's what we can expect of Ingram at this point...
Original post by Hedgeman49
Is a total prick!

Why dya say that?
I would mind him as a late pick starter if it meant I could pick up some top players elsewhere. Obviously a pretty good QB2.

This lockout is annoying.

If I got quality runningbacks and a good set of receivers, I would have him starting. But only if the rest of my team was hench.
If I got quality runningbacks and a good set of receivers, I would have him starting. But only if the rest of my team was hench.

I like him as a QB, just doesn't have the words greatest line to protect him :tongue:. Could be a little better this year though with Carimi but I wouldn't like to take that bet without significant talent in the other positions as you say.
I like him as a QB, just doesn't have the words greatest line to protect him :tongue:. Could be a little better this year though with Carimi but I wouldn't like to take that bet without significant talent in the other positions as you say.

The Bears will do what they have done since their superbowl run; play well all season, show bags of potential, consistently challenge, seem legit title contenders, then fall short.
The Bears will do what they have done since their superbowl run; play well all season, show bags of potential, consistently challenge, seem legit title contenders, then fall short.

Or win gloriously :ahee:
Or win gloriously :ahee:

when did that last happen?

NFC Championship in 2006, but they lost the Superbowl (which they should have won seeing as they scored off the opening kick-off).
when did that last happen?

NFC Championship in 2006, but they lost the Superbowl (which they should have won seeing as they scored off the opening kick-off).

Every bear has his day :yes:

Latest