The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Original post by louisecc
urgh
I'm torn between thinking its good news because I get to spend some time down south (close to family n friends etc) ....and then again thinking its bad news because its sooooooooooooooo far away from Hull where I'll be based lol

Well, Hull is well connected to London - I used to live there a couple years back, and it's around 2.5 hrs on the train.. And if you book early + have a railcard + avoid travelling in the peak time you can easily get a return for under £15. So I hope everything will turn out to be manageable! :smile:
Original post by redbear
I understood (from several different sources within NHS) that the '30 000' figure refers to individual applications not people. Assuming 99% of people applied for at least one post (I know of many that applied for 10+), the figure is more like 10 000 or 5000 to one, which is still very competitive but not quite as bad as the headline figures would suggest.

So it is more like 25/50 applicants per place? Any idea which ones were most competitive (what about physiology)? Is it common to get on straight after graduating or is further experience/postgrad essential? Thanks
Reply 2822
Original post by triwka
Well, Hull is well connected to London - I used to live there a couple years back, and it's around 2.5 hrs on the train.. And if you book early + have a railcard + avoid travelling in the peak time you can easily get a return for under £15. So I hope everything will turn out to be manageable! :smile:

Has anyone heard any official word on whether we'll be able to claim travel expenses or if the MSC people have sorted out short term accommodation for those of us spending a month at a university miles from the hospital that we're based at?
Reply 2823
Original post by Johnsmith61089
So it is more like 25/50 applicants per place? Any idea which ones were most competitive (what about physiology)? Is it common to get on straight after graduating or is further experience/postgrad essential? Thanks

The careers adviser at my uni said that the most competitive were the biological science posts, and much more competitive than medical physics. To me this makes sense - if only in terms of the popularity of the subjects.

I can only comment on Medical Physics: but from discussion with friends who have been successful / interviewed, we each have a different blend of experience and qualifications. Some are straight from their first degree, some have masters, some PhDs, some with experience (either directly relevant or not), many had multiple 'assets'. Likewise, the people I met at interview had a whole range of qualifications and background. So yes it is entirely possible that you can be recruited straight from a first degree - at least for Med Phys!

However, it doesn't matter if you have the brain the size of a planet and all the qualifications in the world, if you don't interview well then => no job. Which is true for most jobs :smile:.

The first step obviously is to make your application stand out so that you get to interview - its easier to do that if you have experience, but not impossible without any. Then you need good communication and interview skills to get an offer. Experience is probably even more beneficial at interview because it gives you examples to talk about and describe your skills, and of course the confidence to answer fluently.
Original post by tmx55
Has anyone heard any official word on whether we'll be able to claim travel expenses or if the MSC people have sorted out short term accommodation for those of us spending a month at a university miles from the hospital that we're based at?

I was told that we will be offered university accommodation 'in due course' but it will be up to the trust whether or not you will be reimbursed. Feeling the pinch already!
Reply 2825
Original post by a1b2c3d4e
I was told that we will be offered university accommodation 'in due course' but it will be up to the trust whether or not you will be reimbursed. Feeling the pinch already!

Ok, thanks for that update. My primary concern was more that if we're not offered university accommodation how I'd find accommodation for 1 month. I'm hoping we'd be reimbursed but I was told not to expect it.
Reply 2826
Here are some details regarding the MSc in Manchester....

MSC details:
All teaching is Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm. Students will have assessments at the end of each module rather than an examination at the end.

Year 1
Registration: can be done on-line anytime from 1-30 September 2011

w/b Sept 19: RPH Induction Monday 19 September, MSc Course Induction Tuesday 20- Friday 23 September

w/b Sept 26 Healthcare Science I

w/b Oct 3 - Nov 4 Healthcare Science II

Modules:

Healthcare Science I Generic: Human physiology & disease, quality, introduction to the NHS, communication skills, biostatistics, study design.

Healthcare Science II Analytical module, Introduction to Blood Sciences including Introduction to Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology, Immunology and Genetics.

Year 2

Sept 2012 Research Methods - 1 week block
Feb- March 2013 - 4 week block (2 modules):

Clinical Disorders of major organs and cancer
Endocrinology and diabete

Summer 2013 Research Project

Year 3
Autumn 2013 Research Project (overlaps end of year 2 and start of year 3)

Feb- March 2014 - 4 week block (2 modules):

Pregnancy and paediatric clinical biochemistry
Nutrition and Toxicology
Reply 2827
I hope we get offered Uni accommodation, but from the replies at had from people at manchester it sounded more like they would offer 'help' for us to find a place of our own :frown:
Reply 2828
Original post by Em_Notts
Here are some details regarding the MSc in Manchester....

MSC details:
All teaching is Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm. Students will have assessments at the end of each module rather than an examination at the end.

Year 1
Registration: can be done on-line anytime from 1-30 September 2011

w/b Sept 19: RPH Induction Monday 19 September, MSc Course Induction Tuesday 20- Friday 23 September

w/b Sept 26 Healthcare Science I

w/b Oct 3 - Nov 4 Healthcare Science II

Modules:

Healthcare Science I Generic: Human physiology & disease, quality, introduction to the NHS, communication skills, biostatistics, study design.

Healthcare Science II Analytical module, Introduction to Blood Sciences including Introduction to Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology, Immunology and Genetics.

Year 2

Sept 2012 Research Methods - 1 week block
Feb- March 2013 - 4 week block (2 modules):

Clinical Disorders of major organs and cancer
Endocrinology and diabete

Summer 2013 Research Project

Year 3
Autumn 2013 Research Project (overlaps end of year 2 and start of year 3)

Feb- March 2014 - 4 week block (2 modules):

Pregnancy and paediatric clinical biochemistry
Nutrition and Toxicology

Hi, thanks so much for your post this is really useful. The london biochemists have only just found out that we'll be going to manchester not nottingham for the msc so its great to see some details - did they come straight from the uni or from your hospital?

I'm not sure that the London hospitals are aware that the course is due to start so early as we've been given a preliminary start date of 26th!

And I'm guessing they haven't given you any information on accomodation yet??

Reply 2829
Original post by jh1984
Hi, thanks so much for your post this is really useful. The london biochemists have only just found out that we'll be going to manchester not nottingham for the msc so its great to see some details - did they come straight from the uni or from your hospital?

I'm not sure that the London hospitals are aware that the course is due to start so early as we've been given a preliminary start date of 26th!

And I'm guessing they haven't given you any information on accomodation yet??

I got this information from a clinical consultant at the hospital I will be working at.

She said that it's likely to be student halls at approx £30/day, although that hasn't been confirmed.

Apparently the University will be sending out an information pack soon so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply 2830
Original post by Em_Notts
I got this information from a clinical consultant at the hospital I will be working at.

She said that it's likely to be student halls at approx £30/day, although that hasn't been confirmed.

Apparently the University will be sending out an information pack soon so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

£30 a day? That'll amount to about £800 for the month!
Reply 2831
Original post by tmx55

I know it sounds extortionate! You could probably get a hotel cheaper than that!

Hopefully it's wrong :-S

Think I'll commute each day
Reply 2832
Original post by tmx55

I can't afford that for 7 weeks!! :frown: i hope they let us know whats been arranged soon so i can just book something if we have to sort our own stuff out. I'd been hoping they'd have a place for all of use together but may have been optimistic!
Reply 2833
Hi.
I'm doing the Audiology course at MRI (Manchester). Been following this thread and got some really useful info on STP over the last few weeks. Its difficult to get information on the job from anywhere! I only found out recently it started with a 6 week block at uni!
Just wondered whether anyone knows if you already have the relevant MSc, do you have to do the full Masters during the training post?
Its just i've already got an MSc in Audiology. I did ask someone at the assessment centre (seems like a long time ago!) and she just said she wasn't sure yet.
Anyone in a similar situation? Or anyone else doing the Audiology STP?
Cheers
Reply 2834
Original post by aimeeh27
Hi.
I'm doing the Audiology course at MRI (Manchester). Been following this thread and got some really useful info on STP over the last few weeks. Its difficult to get information on the job from anywhere! I only found out recently it started with a 6 week block at uni!
Just wondered whether anyone knows if you already have the relevant MSc, do you have to do the full Masters during the training post?
Its just i've already got an MSc in Audiology. I did ask someone at the assessment centre (seems like a long time ago!) and she just said she wasn't sure yet.
Cheers

Is you MSc accredited by the correct body? If so they would be stupid to spend money getting you to repeat something you've already done. But just because it's stupid doesn't mean they wont do it...
Reply 2835
yeah my MSc is accreditated by the correct body (i'm actually currently working as an Audiologist)
I did my MSc at Manchester and I emailed someone there who said the uni take part in the APL scheme (Accreditation for Prior learning) so I should be able to substitute some of the new modules for modules i've already done (I think).

Just wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation?The majority of people I met at the assessment centre seemed to already have an MSc or BSc in Audiology.
Reply 2836
Hi.
Cheers

Hi Aimee,
I'm doing Audiology and I will be based at Wythenshawe hospital (in Manchester!). I remember someone asking that question in my interview block... So it was most likely you! (I haven't got the msc, so not entirely sure what you will be doing! But I am assuming you wouldn't have to do the same modules you did last year! That would be silly!) Do you know which uni we will be at yet? My trust informed me they weren't sure whether manchester uni won the bid for the msc :s! Wish they would hurry up and give us some information, getting a little impatient! Although I did receive my crb in the post this week, suppose its a step in the right direction! Where do you plan on living next year? I only live 30mins from manchester and the hospital, so not sure whether to commute or move yet! Suppose 30mins will turn into 60mins plus with traffic in a morning! Really good to find someone else who's doing audiology....
Penny
Reply 2837
Just wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation?The majority of people I met at the assessment centre seemed to already have an MSc or BSc in Audiology.

I am finishing my MSc now, and I was told I would still have to register with the new uni for new MSc, but then could ask them to count some of the modules from my current MSc towards the MSc which is part of the training scheme.. Apparently it will all be dealt with on a case-by-case basis by the university providing the MSc, but I haven't heard any more information on this.
Reply 2838
Hi Penny
Its really good to find someone who will also be doing Audiology. I can't wait to start. Seems like ages ago since applying and going through interviews!
I think we'll be based at Manchester uni, i'm almost 100% sure but the way things have been with the whole process I wouldn't be surprised if they turned around tomorrow and said the Msc will be in France!!! We're supposed to be getting something from the uni in August so hopefully that will clarify everything.
I'm only based in Liverpool so i'm just going to commute, I live relatively close to the train station and MRI is only down the road from Oxford Road station (I'm sure i'll regret this when i'm getting up at 6am!)

Triwka, that seems to be same as what i've heard, that some of our old modules will count towards the new masters but we have to apply. I'll be pleased if that ends up happening as I dont want to repeat anything i've already done.

thanks for replying
Reply 2839
Got this info from St.Georges - I guess it would be similar for all Clinical Engineers and perhaps Medical Physics people as well:

"You will have a place booked on a one-day university induction on Friday 23rd September and then a two day induction at St. George’s Hospital on 26th 27th September. Lectures start at Kings on Wednesday 28th September. Until Christmas, you will be mostly based at KCL with a couple of short placements back at the hospitals. From then on, the training is mostly based at Queen Mary’s and St. George’s Hospitals with further short blocks in education over the three years of your training."

Oh, and also for those who already have the MSc:

"It is not clear at the moment what, if any modules already undertaken on other masters courses will be counted towards the MSc at KCL but we are currently seeking more details and will let you know if/when we have any more information."
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending