The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oHellno
After doing a practice UKCAT test, I feel slightly crushed. I don't even know what to do, fml.

I was just thinking, I picked up my little sister's GCSE & A Level revision guides (God, that makes me feel old) for QR, which was my weakest area, and it helped a tonne to bump my brain into doing simple maths. Prehaps give that a go if you're still feeling a bit shakey about it? :tongue:
Original post by apple17
Was the timing good for your test cuz the 600Q book is insane, 30 sec for evry QR question., You cant be human if you can do that!

QR was my weakest, and heck no did I get them all in under 30secs. Some of them have about 2mins worth of reading first... I was lucky though, I got the extra-time version UKCAT-SEN because I'm disabled (mwahahaaa!)

Just do as much practise as you can, and like I said in the other post (up there ^^^), try to get hold of some revision guides for GCSE for the simple things you've most likey forgotten.
Original post by liviaaa
:/ Have you done all the questions in the 600 Q book?

Most of them, I haven't looked at the mock bit yet and I haven't done all the QR questions, but otherwise pretty much all of them have been done, some more than once lol.

Original post by Eveliin a
I felt the same, BUT did the actual test on Monday... I swear it was 100% easier in real than the practise, so try not to panic!!!! (Not that I didn't)

Ahh, how did it go? I really hope I can say the same thing once I've done it lol. I don't really have an issue with maths itself, but the questions had so much text and so many random details to include in the calculations, I just couldn't do it in that time :erm:
Original post by oHellno
Ahh, how did it go? I really hope I can say the same thing once I've done it lol. I don't really have an issue with maths itself, but the questions had so much text and so many random details to include in the calculations, I just couldn't do it in that time :erm:

It went ok, better than most of the mocks I did anyway :smile:
That's the problem I had with QR, all of the wordy bits to get out the way before being able to get the actual calculations going.

one HUGE bit of advice I could give for QR though. Make sure you use the screen calculator when you're doing the mocks you can download. It's a funny about how fast you're allowed to input numbers... It slowed me up a lot as half the time I wasn't getting the full calculations in :s-smilie:
Original post by Limitless
I tried emailing my first draft PS to my school tutor the reply I got was "not good enough". If it was in person I think I would have ended up swearing at him.

You should get the PS helpers on this site to take a look at it :yep:

We where given booklets but they where ****. Basically just said not to copy of others and thats it. My first draft was suppose to go to our head of year but I never handed it in because I'm a rebel and I also wasan't in school. lol.

Likewise, that's why I'm writing a booklet for my school... can't have them giving out that piece of rubbish anymore :noway:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
You should get the PS helpers on this site to take a look at it :yep:

Likewise, that's why I'm writing a booklet for my school... can't have them giving out that piece of rubbish anymore :noway:

I've submitted it but have been busy recently so have not have time to have a look at it again but will come round to it next week.
I've submitted it but have been busy recently so have not have time to have a look at it again but will come round to it next week.

So you have (I just had a read :ninja:)

Have you worked on it at all since you first submitted it?
Also when is the future work experience planned for? (if you don't mind me being nosey :colondollar:)
So you have (I just had a read :ninja:)

Have you worked on it at all since you first submitted it?
Also when is the future work experience planned for? (if you don't mind me being nosey :colondollar:)

No none lol. Well my future work experience has just finished I was doing 3 weeks in the hospital (1 in eye clinic, 1 in cardiology and 1 in the medical equipment library) I've also got a week well 4 days planned at a health centre in mid august, and I've got an induction day for my volunteering work on thursday. :biggrin:
Reply 6168
Original post by apple17
More like annoying. Been through 3 drafts and its still not perfect. The first copy I wrote, I thought it was so good and then my guidance counselor ripped it to shreds. I hate the stupid PS system:frown:

Am I the only one having trouble with the character limit?? :confused:
Original post by Saffron

Lol no. I can't get it to the right limit, I've cut out/rephrased so much, still 90 characters over though!
Reply 6170
Original post by Saffron

I'm having plenty of trouble with the character limit :angry:
Original post by Saffron

Saw one recently that was 3000 characters over :indiff:

You aren't the only one trust me :noway:
Saw one recently that was 3000 characters over :indiff:

You aren't the only one trust me :noway:

LOL, I wouldn't even try to cut that down. Just write the whole thing again.
Reply 6173
Original post by oHellno
LOL, I wouldn't even try to cut that down. Just write the whole thing again.

You chosen what 4 unis your applying to? :smile:
Original post by Nator

Original post by Nator
You chosen what 4 unis your applying to? :smile:

Mm, sort of. It might change cos of UKCAT but probably; Imperial, UCL, Kings and Birmingham.
I've considered Oxbridge too, but I doubt I'll apply there. You?
Reply 6175
Original post by oHellno
Mm, sort of. It might change cos of UKCAT but probably; Imperial, UCL, Kings and Birmingham.
I've considered Oxbridge too, but I doubt I'll apply there. You?

Kool, and fair enough, and probably if everything goes to plan:
Cambridge, Imperial, Kings and another UKCAT uni provided I get a good score.
Original post by Nator

Original post by Nator
Kool, and fair enough, and probably if everything goes to plan:
Cambridge, Imperial, Kings and another UKCAT uni provided I get a good score.

Well judging by your scores on AR, it seems you're going to do very well!

Did you go to the Kings open day btw?
Reply 6177
Original post by oHellno
Well judging by your scores on AR, it seems you're going to do very well!

Did you go to the Kings open day btw?

Nah some of them were just lucky guesses :tongue:

And yeah I went with a group of friends, hbu?
Original post by Nator

Original post by Nator
Nah some of them were just lucky guesses :tongue:

And yeah I went with a group of friends, hbu?

Lol if you say so!

And nope, I didn't go, by the time I found out it was already fully booked :facepalm: Was asking a friend how it was, but he's not sure about medicine anymore and wasn't very helpful lol. Was it good? :smile:
Reply 6179
Original post by oHellno
Lol if you say so!

And nope, I didn't go, by the time I found out it was already fully booked :facepalm: Was asking a friend how it was, but he's not sure about medicine anymore and wasn't very helpful lol. Was it good? :smile:

Really am just ordinary at it :smile:

Oh right I see, same happened to me with Cambridge and Imperial :facepalm: And haha I see :laugh: And yeah was pretty good thanks, if you have the prospectus it was more or less the same, just talking about the years, the life etc. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending