The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8980
So on my second day, I still love the job. Wonder how long this will last? :P
Hi just wondering if Sainsburys are allowed to just change my hours without my consent and expect me to do it. I work in the cafe and the store manager has decided that we (cafe) should start opening earlier and closing later. So basically everyone is having their hours changed.

I'm contracted 28h/per week

11.00-1900 on a Monday
7.15-2.15 on Tuesdays and Fridays
12.30 - 18.30 on Saturdays

They want me to work till 12.00-20.00 on Mondays and 14.00-20.00 Saturdays and I simply can't do it because i rely on the buses to get to and from work and the last one is at 19.15.
I've already said I cant do it cause i cant get home and my manager still puts me down to work till 20.00...I can only work till 19.00 at the latest. My colleagues at the cafe said the company is allowed to change them and if I don't like it I either have to find another department to accommodate my hours or find another job. Is this true? It's really unfair for people like me who can't drive and rely on public transport..can they really just change them and make me do it? I'm pretty worried about this and I really need this job so any advice please as to what I can do about this?
Reply 8982
Original post by CandyCorpse
Hi just wondering if Sainsburys are allowed to just change my hours without my consent and expect me to do it. I work in the cafe and the store manager has decided that we (cafe) should start opening earlier and closing later. So basically everyone is having their hours changed.

I'm contracted 28h/per week

11.00-1900 on a Monday
7.15-2.15 on Tuesdays and Fridays
12.30 - 18.30 on Saturdays

They want me to work till 12.00-20.00 on Mondays and 14.00-20.00 Saturdays and I simply can't do it because i rely on the buses to get to and from work and the last one is at 19.15.
I've already said I cant do it cause i cant get home and my manager still puts me down to work till 20.00...I can only work till 19.00 at the latest. My colleagues at the cafe said the company is allowed to change them and if I don't like it I either have to find another department to accommodate my hours or find another job. Is this true? It's really unfair for people like me who can't drive and rely on public transport..can they really just change them and make me do it? I'm pretty worried about this and I really need this job so any advice please as to what I can do about this?

Yes. I BELIEVE the law is that they have to accommodate you in another department, but if you don't accept it, they can terminate your employment with 12 weeks notice.
Original post by FXX
Yes. I BELIEVE the law is that they have to accommodate you in another department, but if you don't accept it, they can terminate your employment with 12 weeks notice.

Okay, but accommodate me in another department with the same working hours or different. I don't really mind different working hours so long I get to finish by 19.00 the latest...They can't really make me work till 20.00 if I can't do it right?
Original post by Swell
How does this 'dual store' system work?

Because i'm off to uni in September so i'd like to move to a Sheffield store. Every time i've mentioned it i've always got the reply 'sort it out nearer the time' which is fair enough but i'd just like to know what goes on...

Cheers in advance.

In our store, they've asked people who want to do this to speak to either the HR manager or department manager.
I was told that if you want to do the dual store thing you have to put it in writing, mentioning which store you want to go to i guess? Then HR will sort of try and sort it out, I guess. The position you are able to get will not necessarily be in the same department as well. That's pretty much all I know!
Reply 8985
Original post by shooting.star
In our store, they've asked people who want to do this to speak to either the HR manager or department manager.
I was told that if you want to do the dual store thing you have to put it in writing, mentioning which store you want to go to i guess? Then HR will sort of try and sort it out, I guess. The position you are able to get will not necessarily be in the same department as well. That's pretty much all I know!

Ah thanks, i need to go to HR tomorrow anyway so i'll ask then.
Hi all,

My contract is 39 hours, I have my induction next week, so don't know much information yet.. would like to find out- if breaks are paid and how long would be break for 7/8 hour shift?

Cheers
Reply 8987
How would I go about getting a department change? Currently been working in the bakery for maybe like 8 or 9 months, does there have to be a vacancy on another department, or can I asked to be moved?
Original post by naughty cheesecake
Hi all,

My contract is 39 hours, I have my induction next week, so don't know much information yet.. would like to find out- if breaks are paid and how long would be break for 7/8 hour shift?

Cheers

My info may be two years out of date, though I doubt this has changed...

Teabreaks are paid, lunch breaks are not.

The break for an 8 hour shift would be a 1 hour lunch break and two 15 minute tea breaks. Not sure about 7 hours, sorry.
Reply 8989
Original post by morris743
My info may be two years out of date, though I doubt this has changed...

Teabreaks are paid, lunch breaks are not.

The break for an 8 hour shift would be a 1 hour lunch break and two 15 minute tea breaks. Not sure about 7 hours, sorry.

6-8 hours = 15 minutes break
8-9 hours = 30 minutes break
9 hours + = 1 hour lunch break

Very few Sainsbury's staff will be working more than 8 hour shifts
Original post by WDooley1

Really? When I worked there up until January 2010 I was on an 8 hour shift with 1 hour lunch break and two 15 minute teabreaks. 9 hours in total, but the shift was an actual 8 hours.
In our store anything over 4 but under 6 gets 15 minutes, over 6 but under 8 gets 20 minutes then 8 hours gets 30 minutes. If you work the 9 hour shift then you get an hours unpaid break and 30 minutes paid which you can choose to take in two 15 minutes breaks if you want. I don't know what over 9 hours get, but generally it's the nightshift colleagues that do over 9 anyway.
Original post by Salzar
How would I go about getting a department change? Currently been working in the bakery for maybe like 8 or 9 months, does there have to be a vacancy on another department, or can I asked to be moved?

Generally there needs to be a vacancy in the other department but if you go and talk to HR they'll be able to help you :smile:
i was hoping i'd find a sainsburys vacancy for the summer ... but alas no luck :frown:

does anyone know what the recruitment process is like for an ex employee? I worked for sainsburys last year, but then resigned. There's a link for ex employee's on the recruitment page, what does this do? plus, why is there no way of submitting the info entered?

a friend of mine has told me that the company is advertising a lot of vacancies instore (but only for current employees) anyone think it would be any use to call up the HR office and see what they say, if i say i am keen on returning?
Original post by WDooley1

This isn't quite right, you get 20 mins for 6-8 hrs, and like morris said, if your doing a 9 hour shift (eg 10-7) you would get a half hour paid break and a hour unpaid lunch.

I'm pretty sure most night shift work 10hrs normally
Original post by cherrycola32
This isn't quite right, you get 20 mins for 6-8 hrs, and like morris said, if your doing a 9 hour shift (eg 10-7) you would get a half hour paid break and a hour unpaid lunch.

yes most night shifters work 10 hr shifts, we got two half hour paid breaks
Original post by naughty cheesecake
Hi all,

Cheers

Probably varies store to store - I work in a Sainsburys Local and get a half hour paid break for an 8 hour shift.
Original post by driftingaway
i was hoping i'd find a sainsburys vacancy for the summer ... but alas no luck :frown:

does anyone know what the recruitment process is like for an ex employee? I worked for sainsburys last year, but then resigned. There's a link for ex employee's on the recruitment page, what does this do? plus, why is there no way of submitting the info entered?

a friend of mine has told me that the company is advertising a lot of vacancies instore (but only for current employees) anyone think it would be any use to call up the HR office and see what they say, if i say i am keen on returning?

Seriously phone up, then they can easily do something for you,
Reply 8998
Original post by cherrycola32

It might not be ethically "right" but well within the law, and is how the breaks are dispersed in my store. Nobody works more than 8 hours, and as such nobody gets more than 30 minutes break. On a 4 hour shift, you don't get a break, and with 6 hours you're entitled to 15 minutes.
Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two
Probably varies store to store - I work in a Sainsburys Local and get a half hour paid break for an 8 hour shift.

Yeah I think it does. Not sure what we get in our store for 6 hours (probably 20), but for 7 hours we get 25 minutes and for 8 hours we either get 30 minutes straight or 2 15 minute breaks (paid).
I definitely prefer 9 hour shifts to 8 hour ones because we get the paid half an hour and then an hour lunch unpaid. If we're working 9-6 the half an hour is split into 2 15 minute breaks which means 3 breaks. :biggrin:
For 10 hour night shift we get 15minutes and a 30minute break.

I think, on my department anyway, most people just stay on their break until they're called back though...

Latest