The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I would rather not have another film in the Inception universe. I like original ideas and films which focus around a strong concept. Sequels have a tendency to ruin it, which is why I like to pretend that there's no such thing as The Matrix Revelations and Revolutions.

Nolan should tackle time travel as his next core concept. He would do it so well. :coma:

Reloaded. Not Revelations.
Damn you, Assassin's Creed. Damn you.
Saw bits of 'The A-team' recently, the physics in the film just.... wow, it's kinda hilarious but yeah it's an interesting film anyway

I would rather not have another film in the Inception universe. I like original ideas and films which focus around a strong concept. Sequels have a tendency to ruin it, which is why I like to pretend that there's no such thing as The Matrix Revelations and Revolutions.

Nolan should tackle time travel as his next core concept. He would do it so well. :coma:

I think the Matrix is a very different thing though - the Matrix felt from the very first film that it was part of a larger story and one that would be told in full. Yes the sequels did sour the taste somewhat, but that was because they were poorly thought out and executed rather than being pointless. The Matrix would probably have felt far more disappointing if the sequels didn't exist, no matter how bad they ended up being.
Reply 3544
I have a massive soft spot for Once Upon A Time In Mexico. There is just so much sexy going on in the film I don't even know where to look. :coma:
Daily Mash article
"The phrase 'dark of the moon' makes virtually no sense, and suggests that it was going to be 'dark side of the moon' until about two days before the release date, when a studio executive's son suddenly reminded him of the title of his third favourite Pink Floyd album.

Looking at the title for the third film, Dark of the Moon, I'm getting the niggle (and I also heard this being mentioned on a podcast) that the film was supposed to be called Dark Side of the Moon before Pink Floyd's lawyers got in touch. Suspicions were somewhat confirmed when the phrase 'dark side of the moon' is tossed around several times in the film.

Everyone is having that niggle then.
Out in a few weeks, looks like fun:

Original post by Phalanges
I think the Matrix is a very different thing though - the Matrix felt from the very first film that it was part of a larger story and one that would be told in full. Yes the sequels did sour the taste somewhat, but that was because they were poorly thought out and executed rather than being pointless. The Matrix would probably have felt far more disappointing if the sequels didn't exist, no matter how bad they ended up being.

That's a fair point. Though the first film did close up many of the points it presented (the downfall of humanity, the purpose of the Matrix, the prophecy, the Agents) whilst only leaving questions like Zion and the 'happy' ending to be desired. The problem, well one of the problems, was that they made Neo into this over-powered being and didn't know how to run with that idea properly. Their best idea was to essentially upgrade Smith as the virus to match Neo. Then things got a bit ridiculous with Smith inhabiting a real body and Neo using his powers in the real world (which I guess might have been explained in the plot and I just forgot?). I liked the idea of the Architect and the repeated cycles of the Matrix.

Inception does do something similar outside of the main character arcs. It doesn't feel part of a larger story but it does give some material to go on. It does allude to this whole world of other extractors as well as people who help with the subconscious security. Not to mention the origin of the technology and what else it can be utilised for other than extraction and inception.
Reply 3548
Everyone is having that niggle then.

The original trailer even billed it as "Dark Side of the Moon".

I immediately thought of Pink Floyd at the time. Didn't even notice they'd changed it.
I have been watching some godawful films in hotels.

Crush - So bad. So so bad. Firstly, it's hard to take a 'thriller' film seriously when the cast is entirely cribbed from Neighbours and Home and Away. The lead speaks with an American accent for absolutely no reason. He is a martial arts champion who doesn't use his martial arts skills once. And, worst of all, ten minutes from the end the main actress turns out to be a ghost. I honestly never thought it was possible to hate Australia more than I currently do, but this film has altered my thinking. :colonhash:

The Final Cut - Competes with Bicentennial Man for the 'honour' of worst Robin Williams film ever, including Death to Smoochy and those terrible family comedies.

My Sister's Keeper - People are divided on this one. I hated it. Alec Baldwin's as good as ever, but Cameron Diaz's character is essentially a deranged, controlling harpy, and events of the film (the ending especially) conspire to make her seem like even more of a dick when she actually has a fairly legitimate point. Basically everything in this film is emotionally manipulative garbage designed to push the 'right-to-one's-body/right-to-die' agenda, which is a compelling message that deserves a better film.

Regardless, I have seen one great movie. Spike Lee's 25th Hour. It's sometimes hard to remember that despite his general obnoxiousness, Spike Lee is a brilliant filmmaker. Brian Cox's monologue at the end is a particularly stunning moment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Finally saw up in the air a few days ago, quite a depressing film but great nonetheless. Clooney was really good in it, same with Vera Farmiga
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Finally saw up in the air a few days ago, quite a depressing film but great nonetheless. Clooney was really good in it, same with Vera Farmiga

I wouldn't say great. It's good, but not great.
Reply 3552
Would I be thrown out of the society if I said that Revenge Of The Sith was my favourite Star Wars film? :ninja:
Original post by aja89
Would I be thrown out of the society if I said that Revenge Of The Sith was my favourite Star Wars film? :ninja:

Ditto ^^
Nope, frowned upon certainly. You would however be thrown out if you said Attack of the Clones was your favourite Star Wars film. There is no coming back from that statement.
Reply 3555
Just watched United 93 for the first time...suffice to say I feel depressed after watching it. Such a moving film and very well made. Greengrass should really make more films. Towards the end of the film you really start to believe that the passengers might actually win, despite already knowing how it ends. Going to give World Trade Centre a watch tomorrow, see how good it is in comparison.
(edited 12 years ago)
A lot of film stuff coming out of Comic-con, good news and bad news...

Prometheus
Sir Ridley Scott coming back to science fiction should have been a no-brainer, in terms of generating excitement. But when we saw the actual footage from the film, in Hall H, and everybody went breathless, we were sold all over again. This film looked like a mashup of Stargate, 2001 and Scott's own Alien, with a huge focus on space horror as well as the vastness and implacability of space. And Charlize Theron doing naked pushups, and a new source of creepiness in the form of some kind of space goo, sealed the deal. This movie already has our ticket money.

Total Recall
We still have a ton of hope for this remake of the Arnold Schwarzenegger/Paul Verhoeven classic, especially after talking to director Len Wiseman. But the footage shown at Comic Con looked like a generic action movie rather than a worthy reimagining of the paranoid Philip K. Dick adaptation, and one person tweeted, "I'm getting tired of" the panel halfway through. Plus we didn't really hear people buzzing about this film, in particular, afterwards. Let's just say that Total Recall emerged from Comic Con with people's skepticism about yet another remake still intact.

Mass Effect
Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series, and screenwriter Mark Protosevich joined the stage for a preliminary discussion of the video game-turned-film, which is believed to be releasing in 2012. It was announced that the movie will be based on the first game in the ultra-successful BioWare series, from 2007.

Protosevich felt that a certain depth of story and world was essential for the success of a film project based on a video game, adding that it is too easy to be "seduced into thinking a game you are playing would be a good movie." The duo felt that other game-based movies have fallen flat because they tried to recreate the experience of playing the game, instead of determining whether the story was of merit or whether the characters had any substance.

Hudson noted that BioWare had been waiting for the right partner to make the film as well, stating that he had e-mails from production companies discussing a Mass Effect movie dating back to 2006, prior to the release of the game, and they were enthused to have Legendary Pictures as a partner due to their quality track record. No images from the film were shown, as it is in very early stages of pre-production, however, the entire audience was given copies of the most recent installment of the Mass Effect franchise, Mass Effect 2, on the console of their choice.

And some really good impressions about Cowboys & Aliens from io9. Also really interested in Del Toro's Pacific Rift.

Len Wiseman is the best guy they could find to direct Total Recall? ... a sign of the times, man :facepalm2:

Biel, Beckinsale and Farrell .. can't be arsed to comment on that ridiculousness.

Is there any footage of Prometheus floating about the web? :colone:
Original post by noggins
Len Wiseman is the best guy they could find to direct Total Recall? ... a sign of the times, man :facepalm2:

Biel, Beckinsale and Farrell .. can't be arsed to comment on that ridiculousness.

Is there any footage of Prometheus floating about the web? :colone:

I'm not a fan either. I did enjoy the Underworld films, but as more of a guilty pleasure if anything. I don't think he's particularly suited for the remake. Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg are the only ones that have produced outstanding and great (respectively) Philip K Dick adaptations. Shame really, if the preview impressions are anything to go by. Nolan doing a Philip K Dick adaptation would be pretty marvellous. Even Inception had those 'Dick' story vibes to them. I guess a lot of science fiction films do though.

Talking of Underworld, there's a fourth one coming. :awesome:

No footage of Prometheus. I can guess why you're asking. :colone: io9 did have an article about what they saw if you're interested. Really excited about it. It's Ridley Scott returning to science fiction!
This is such a fascinating concept for a science fiction film, and the trailer does not excite me in any way. It looks bad. :emo:

In Time
Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried and Cillian Murphy

In the future people stop aging at 25 and must work to buy themselves more time, but when a young man finds himself with more time than he can imagine he must run from the corrupt police force to save his life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending