The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Yeah I was surprised to see I was the first Biomed person on there! Loads of PPE applicants! I'm in love with Keble college :biggrin:

What course/college you looking at applying for?

Well, I suppose it has a small intake, while PPE is large and is very competitive. I'm hoping for maths at Merton. :love:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Well, I suppose it has a small intake, while PPE is large and is very competitive. I'm hoping for maths at Merton. :love:

I'm wondering whether I should switch to Merton :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady

Didn't you go to Merton's open day? :tongue:
Original post by punctuation
Didn't you go to Merton's open day? :tongue:

Yeah, but only because Sven persuaded me to come along, and Magdalen was all booked up and I wanted to see Sven anyway so I chose Merton :tongue:
Yeah, but only because Sven persuaded me to come along, and Magdalen was all booked up and I wanted to see Sven anyway so I chose Merton :tongue:

Ahh I see. :wink: Did you still wander around Magdalen though?
Original post by Devil_in_disguise

Original post by Devil_in_disguise
Yes, the days when Eurovision starts getting AC/DC-ish or Wagner-ish are very(possibly infinitely) far))

btw, am I really talking to a future cambridgian right now? :frown:

Well there's the rub. I haven't yet made up my mind whether to apply to Cam' or Ox'! I'm born and bred in Oxford, you see, so in one sense I love the idea of branching out to Cambridge and discovering a whole new city, but on the other (OF COURSE) I can't betray my roots and elect to study in the enemy city!!! LOL. But yeah, I am really struggling w. the decision...
(edited 12 years ago)

Merton's a really lovely college. Magdalen seems to me to be rather overrated, frankly (this comes from someone who's visited the College four or five times as we had family friends who have taught there.) My favourite colleges are Oriel, Lincoln, Merton, New, Somerville, Trinity. St. Catherine's is very cool too.
okay I think I should post in this again, about UNIQ

I stayed at Lady Margaret Hall. At first I didn't like that we had to walk a bit to get to the classics dept but it started to grow on me a bit - the accomodation and food was excellent (better than other colleges apparently :beard: ) and I like that it was founded with the aim of expanding university education for women. Also it's beside the university park, which is lovely :biggrin:

as for the course, myself and another girl who was also doing greek were sort of seperated from the others and got to work on some Herodotus :yep: we then went through it with a lovely woman called Juliane Kerkheker who promised to send us some stuff to help with the a level :biggrin: aside from that we had lots of lectures which were great from the most part, and my tutorial topic was on Proto-indo-european!!! so yes it was awesome :biggrin:

and we had a fancy dress bop on the last night which was amazing too, enjoyed it much more than I thought I would (though it ended a bit early and lacked alcohol :colonhash:) and I made lots of friends :smile: and on the last day we had some help with personal statements and a talk about interviews etc which was really useful as it was specific to classics and I found out stuff I didn't know about the format etc which you can't find online :awesome:

in short: :yy: definitely going to apply, I feel so motivated now :dumbells:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by medbh4805
okay I think I should post in this again, about UNIQ

I stayed at Lady Margaret Hall. At first I didn't like that we had to walk a bit to get to the classics dept but it started to grow on me a bit - the accomodation and food was excellent (better than other colleges apparently :beard: ) and I like that it was founded with the aim of expanding university education for women. Also it's beside the university park, which is lovely :biggrin:

as for the course, myself and another girl who was also doing greek were sort of seperated from the others and got to work on some Herodotus :yep: we then went through it with a lovely woman called Juliane Kerkheker who promised to send us some stuff to help with the a level :biggrin: aside from that we had lots of lectures which were great from the most part, and my tutorial topic was on Proto-indo-european!!! so yes it was awesome :biggrin:

and we had a fancy dress bop on the last night which was amazing too, enjoyed it much more than I thought I would (though it ended a bit early and lacked alcohol :colonhash:) and I made lots of friends :smile: and on the last day we had some help with personal statements and a talk about interviews etc which was really useful as it was specific to classics and I found out stuff I didn't know about the format etc which you can't find only :awesome:

in short: :yy: definitely going to apply, I feel so motivated now :dumbells:

KEBLE KEBLE KEBLE :biggrin:
Surely you remember the Keble chanters :wink:

But yeh, it was fantasticccc. The bop was amazing. Agree about the alcohol part though :colondollar:
Original post by anyone_can_fly

I thought PPE has a really limited amount of places, that's why i was so surprised to see so many prospective applicants on here!

Oooh Maths, I haven't met many prospective Maths students :3 Whereabouts is Merton? Never visited it.
KEBLE KEBLE KEBLE :biggrin:
Surely you remember the Keble chanters :wink:

But yeh, it was fantasticccc. The bop was amazing. Agree about the alcohol part though :colondollar:

yeah I do, though clearly LMH was superior, that's why everything was held there :h:

I just think people wouldn't have been so awkward (at the start) had they been slightly inebriated :dontknow:

I'm such an Irish stereotype :getmecoat:
yeah I do, though clearly LMH was superior, that's why everything was held there :h:

I just think people wouldn't have been so awkward (at the start) had they been slightly inebriated :dontknow:

I'm such an Irish stereotype :getmecoat:

I didn't feel awkward at all, I got in there right from the start and just danced like a crazy person all night :biggrin:

But I agree...some people seemed really self conscious.
I didn't feel awkward at all, I got in there right from the start and just danced like a crazy person all night :biggrin:

But I agree...some people seemed really self conscious.

yeah some people I was talking to said they'd never been to a nightclub, one girl told me she'd never been out past ten, not saying that's necessarily a bad thing (I actually hate nightclubs), it was just a bit of a cultureshock for me :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
yeah some people I was talking to said they'd never been to a nightclub, one girl told me she'd never been out past ten, not saying that's necessarily a bad thing (I actually hate nightclubs), it was just a bit of a cultureshock for me :s-smilie:

Really? To be fair, I don't go out to parties/ clubs that much. Still, you get used to the vibe after a few minutes. I was really surprised at how self conscious some of the people (specially the girls) were...I didn't care who was looking, I was there for some serious dancing :biggrin:
Really? To be fair, I don't go out to parties/ clubs that much. Still, you get used to the vibe after a few minutes. I was really surprised at how self conscious some of the people (specially the girls) were...I didn't care who was looking, I was there for some serious dancing :biggrin:

meh, it might have just been the group of people I was with :dontknow: and neither do I (1-2 times a month max), my social life is pretty tame compared to most of my peers at schools :colondollar: I suppose it's all relative to what you're used to :redface:
meh, it might have just been the group of people I was with :dontknow: and neither do I (1-2 times a month max), my social life is pretty tame compared to most of my peers at schools :colondollar: I suppose it's all relative to what you're used to :redface:

Lol tbh I don't care whether my social life isn't as impressive as my friends'. I'm applying to Oxford, so I'm OK with sacrificing it. Besides, as we've seen, the social life at Oxford (and Uni in general) is fantastic, so I've got summing to look forward to :wink:

I've never been to a nightclub or anything one would classify as a 'party' (i.e. as portrayed by media). :cool:
Original post by punctuation
I've never been to a nightclub or anything one would classify as a 'party' (i.e. as portrayed by media). :cool:

I was going to say "but you're underage" and then I remembered what age I was when I started doing these things....and that I am still currently underage

I'm such a rebel :pierre: :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)

Which college have you originally chosen, may I ask?
Lol tbh I don't care whether my social life isn't as impressive as my friends'. I'm applying to Oxford, so I'm OK with sacrificing it. Besides, as we've seen, the social life at Oxford (and Uni in general) is fantastic, so I've got summing to look forward to :wink:

meh I just hate sitting in though lack of funds/having to study while they're all out having fun :tongue: but yeah I can't wait for uni :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending