The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9000
Had bakery training today - not the practical side, just the theory. My word, it numbed my mind.
My enthusiasm for this job has gone down rapidly in the last few months.
Original post by Schumacher
My enthusiasm for this job has gone down rapidly in the last few months.

same here. although my enthusiasm only lasted 1 hour into my first shift
Original post by WDooley1
6-8 hours = 15 minutes break
8-9 hours = 30 minutes break
9 hours + = 1 hour lunch break

Very few Sainsbury's staff will be working more than 8 hour shifts

This isn't strictly true and depends on whether your shift is over the lunchtime period or not.

If you work under 4.5 hours in a shift you are not entitled to any break.

If you work from 4.5 hours-6 Hours, you are entitled to a 15 min paid break.

From 6-9 hours, you are entitled to a 30 min paid bread.

9+ Hours (Over Lunch) = 1 am 15 min paid break, 1 hour unpaid lunch, then 1 pm paid break.

9+ Hours (Not over Lunch) = A total of 45 min paid breaks organised when it is convenient for the business.

Thats how our store has always organized breaks.

Also that would be right for the local's too because if someone does 8 hours then they would get 30 min paid.

Also the 20 minute break thing that someone mentioned, the company used to give 20mins instead of 15mins but when contracts changed to RGS, they reduced it to 15min. In every store there are some colleagues who may still be on old contracts so they are entitled to 20 min breaks instead of 15 mins simply because of the contract they are on. There also may have been a management decision in that store to give everyone 20 min breaks despite the changes, simply to treat everyone the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone know what the notice period is? I'm quite confuse you see...

It says in my contract "in the first 4 weeks, no notice is required, but after that, 4 weeks notice is needed" But I'm only hoping to be working there for 5 weeks :colondollar: so do I hand in a notice next week?
Original post by linkdapink
Does anyone know what the notice period is? I'm quite confuse you see...

It says in my contract "in the first 4 weeks, no notice is required, but after that, 4 weeks notice is needed" But I'm only hoping to be working there for 5 weeks :colondollar: so do I hand in a notice next week?

it means in the first four weeks you can leave without notice (ie just say ok, i dont like it here, so im leaving...with a note of course). after 4 weeks, you have to give 4 weeks notice ie. if youre there for 5 weeks you have to work a further 4 weeks.
Original post by inksplodge
it means in the first four weeks you can leave without notice (ie just say ok, i dont like it here, so im leaving...with a note of course). after 4 weeks, you have to give 4 weeks notice ie. if youre there for 5 weeks you have to work a further 4 weeks.

Eh? But I want to leave in 5 weeks time and I just started today. So what do I do?
Eh? But I want to leave in 5 weeks time and I just started today. So what do I do?

tell them? :dontknow: seems a bit pointless if you want to leave in 5 weeks, someone who actually wanted the job permanently couldve taken it

Tell them as soon as possible, they wont be happy because the money it took to train you could have been used for someone that wanted it more permanently. Im sure if you are up front about it they will be ok.
Reply 9009
Are there any CTS's on here? If so, how long were you working at Sainsbury's for before you got promoted? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Zonvolt
Are there any CTS's on here? If so, how long were you working at Sainsbury's for before you got promoted? Thanks. :smile:

on shift the new ones were working for 4 yrs and 1 year respectively...
Original post by xangelinax
Tell them as soon as possible, they wont be happy because the money it took to train you could have been used for someone that wanted it more permanently. Im sure if you are up front about it they will be ok.

Well I've already been trained, so the training for me was literally a few minutes on the tills today. I don't know what else to do, I didn't know that I would be leaving so suddenly because my boyfriend has recently asked me to move in with him, so want to be moving out with him asap. I'm wondering whether leaving at 4 weeks without any notice is doable.
Well I've already been trained, so the training for me was literally a few minutes on the tills today. I don't know what else to do, I didn't know that I would be leaving so suddenly because my boyfriend has recently asked me to move in with him, so want to be moving out with him asap. I'm wondering whether leaving at 4 weeks without any notice is doable.

Are you worried about any sort of reference from them? If not then just tell them your leaving, hand in a notice to you manager when your next in. However they might just tell you too leave since you are still in the probation period of your contract.
Original post by xangelinax
Are you worried about any sort of reference from them? If not then just tell them your leaving, hand in a notice to you manager when your next in. However they might just tell you too leave since you are still in the probation period of your contract.

I'm not worried about a reference... but I do need the money. I'm still in my probationary period for the next four weeks, so I was thinking on the third week handing in my notice for a week, but saying that I can stay for another week after that if they want me to - so they can either kick me out straight away, or have me for a week longer. I feel so awful for doing this!
Reply 9014
Original post by Zonvolt

doesn't matter how long you've worked for before becoming a CTS, it is getting noticed to be doing a good job and having the desire to progress.
i was there for 2 years when i got to CTS in training, 7 months later i'm just a normal shopfloor guy.
Reply 9015
Original post by Zonvolt

I was brought in as a CTS, having never worked in a food retail environment before
hay, i just got a job at sainsburys and they are providing a uniform, im a big girl and was wondering what are the uniforms like..
Reply 9017
Original post by cuddliicakes
hay, i just got a job at sainsburys and they are providing a uniform, im a big girl and was wondering what are the uniforms like..

There's a size for everyone, just don't expect them to get it right first time.
Reply 9018
I dunno, I find the uniform rather irritates my skin :s-smilie:

Warning: tl;dr rant.

Does anyone else find the basket till the worst till to be on? I don't know if it's only my store, but in ours it's right next to the 12 self-scan machines and main entrance, which means it's always the noisiest and most busy part of the shop. In other stores I've noticed that there's quite a distance between the first checkout and self-scan, but in ours the self-scan is just a few inches behind you. Also one of the lights above the basket till doesn't work, which just makes it all the more a depressing place :frown: I feel like I'm being dumped onto that one lately since I've been on it 4/5 of my shifts for the past few months or so. It's such a relief to be up the other end of the checkouts since it's so surprisingly quieter, but I'm hardly ever put up there :frown: Honestly, that single till just makes me consider quitting even more.

I've just started to mumble "hi's" and am hardly talking to any of the customers anymore. Sometimes I'm in better moods, but I feel like most customers just know what they're doing...some people just sound so rude when you tell them the price and they say "...yeah." like they don't know why you bothered to say at all. Or when you ask for their Nectar card and they say "paying by card, please" *facepalm*

I just wish that Nectar points were better explained to the customers so I don't have to get so much grief about them -- That you can only take points off in multiples of £2.50's and you can't spend more points from the card than the balance your shopping has came to (which is why find it stupid they show an "actual" balance on your receipt when you can only do it in £2.50s). I've had people who have brought no money with them and then been unable to pay because they were expecting to be able to use odd amounts from their Nectar card. Also being unable to undo taking off points. :/

Something else that partially annoys me is when customer after customer starts lining up for your till, but don't notice that the till behind them is empty :s-smilie: I feel rude to point them over to the next checkout though, since no one else does that apart from one person who I find rather irritating.

Sorry, I just had to get that out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by _N_
I dunno, I find the uniform rather irritates my skin :s-smilie:

Warning: tl;dr rant.

Does anyone else find the basket till the worst till to be on? I don't know if it's only my store, but in ours it's right next to the 12 self-scan machines and main entrance, which means it's always the noisiest and most busy part of the shop. In other stores I've noticed that there's quite a distance between the first checkout and self-scan, but in ours the self-scan is just a few inches behind you. Also one of the lights above the basket till doesn't work, which just makes it all the more a depressing place :frown: I feel like I'm being dumped onto that one lately since I've been on it 4/5 of my shifts for the past few months or so. It's such a relief to be up the other end of the checkouts since it's so surprisingly quieter, but I'm hardly ever put up there :frown: Honestly, that single till just makes me consider quitting even more.

Completely agree about basket till and I know exactly how you feel about it. It's got to the point in our store where hardly anyone will do it. Ours is just in front of self-scan (they actually touch they're that close) and the fridges are to the right of it so its freezing. We're not allowed to leave it at all and when you're put on it you're there all day. It also has a really thick plank on the floor so a lot people get a really sore back reaching across it all day. Doesn't help that the new supervisors keep sending trolleys down to you too. That's all before you get to the customers who yap when you take a trolley because it was quiet or when you send them away because they have a trolley. The only good thing about it is that its actually one of the quietest tills in the shop because its the last till people see.

I know how you feel about customers who queue at your till when there is empty ones too. The very top till is the worst in our store for that. You have a tiny bit of belt showing so people will queue there instead of looking further on down so you just don't stop. So frustrating because supervisors are usually down the other side of the shop so if you need to go to the toilet or something you can't ask so you're stuck there for practically your whole shift too.

I generally love the people who argue with me about Nectar/prices etc though. It breaks the monotony a bit :biggrin:.

About the uniform: I never wear the trousers because I find them too high waisted and uncomfortable. I find the blouse and fleece to be fairly big fitting though. I think I could go down a size but I prefer having them a little baggy.

Latest

Trending

Trending