The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6200
Original post by Cleoleo
when you say 'draft', do you mean you completely started again or just editted the original? trying to understand what people mean by this draft business :tongue:

editing :tongue:.
Reply 6201
Original post by Cleoleo
when you say 'draft', do you mean you completely started again or just editted the original? trying to understand what people mean by this draft business :tongue:

Editing.
If it meant rewriting the entire thing: i would have gone insane by now.
Reply 6202
Hi folks!

I borrowed this book from my school library called Choosing a Medical School a few months ago, but I left it back before the end of term. It is only now that I am realising how valuable it would be to me, as it has all the info you could need such as student opinions, course style, accommodation info, pros and cons etc.

Does anyone know of anywhere on the internet that has a bank of all of that kind of information? As I don't particularly want to have to buy the book (It's about 25 quid), my local library doesn't have it and I'm not sure if the school library is open over the summer.

Cheers!
Reply 6203
Hi! My name is Elizabeth and I am an international applicant from Canada for the 2012 entry :smile:
and I am also hoping to get into Bristol for medicine.

My average this year is a 93% , chemistry 93%, biology 95% and 97% in maths. Hopefully these marks would get me in.
I'm also taking the UKCAT in October! All the best to everyone here :wink:
Original post by tbag1
Hi folks!

I borrowed this book from my school library called Choosing a Medical School a few months ago, but I left it back before the end of term. It is only now that I am realising how valuable it would be to me, as it has all the info you could need such as student opinions, course style, accommodation info, pros and cons etc.

Does anyone know of anywhere on the internet that has a bank of all of that kind of information? As I don't particularly want to have to buy the book (It's about 25 quid), my local library doesn't have it and I'm not sure if the school library is open over the summer.

Cheers!

Student opinions: Plenty of med students on here that might talk to you about their med school (if you ask nicely/bribe them with a pint at some point)
Course style: We're currently in the process of creating and updating a course style/structure wiki page so atm the best place is the universities websites or current students again
Accommodation info: Shouldn't really be too important in your choice of med school tbh... you'll only live in halls for first year and maybe one more but universities websites for that again
pros and cons: Take a look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=812998

Hope they help :h:
Reply 6205
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Student opinions: Plenty of med students on here that might talk to you about their med school (if you ask nicely/bribe them with a pint at some point)
Course style: We're currently in the process of creating and updating a course style/structure wiki page so atm the best place is the universities websites or current students again
Accommodation info: Shouldn't really be too important in your choice of med school tbh... you'll only live in halls for first year and maybe one more but universities websites for that again
pros and cons: Take a look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=812998

Perfect!

Uber helpful as usual!

:penguinhug:
Reply 6206
Original post by tbag1
Hi folks!

Cheers!

I found this website very useful for gaining a quick insight into each course. It gives a quick overview of the application process, the medical school, what you cover during each year of the course, examinations methods, teaching methods (including how anatomy is taught ), intercalation options and pros and cons.

Unionview is ace for a general overview of things like accommodation, food, campus, clubs & societies etc.

Unistats, is also very good. This website allows you to assess student satisfaction ratings in different areas of specific courses e.g. whether the students feel that the staff are good at explaining things, whether the library resources are adequate etc. You can create and save your own shortlist and then directly compare up to three courses. Try not to over-analyse it though!
Reply 6207
Original post by _lynx_
I found this website very useful for gaining a quick insight into each course. It gives a quick overview of the application process, the medical school, what you cover during each year of the course, examinations methods, teaching methods (including how anatomy is taught ), intercalation options and pros and cons.

Unionview is ace for a general overview of things like accommodation, food, campus, clubs & societies etc.

Unistats, is also very good. This website allows you to assess student satisfaction ratings in different areas of specific courses e.g. whether the students feel that the staff are good at explaining things, whether the library resources are adequate etc. You can create and save your own shortlist and then directly compare up to three courses. Try not to over-analyse it though!

Those should be incredibly helpful!
Reply 6208
Original post by lizzy999
Hi! My name is Elizabeth and I am an international applicant from Canada for the 2012 entry :smile:
and I am also hoping to get into Bristol for medicine.

My average this year is a 93% , chemistry 93%, biology 95% and 97% in maths. Hopefully these marks would get me in.
I'm also taking the UKCAT in October! All the best to everyone here :wink:

Hey Elizabeth,
I am a canadian applicant as well, from Toronto:smile:
They are definitely good and competitive marks: I think they look for 93-95 range.
If you want to get into Bristol, why are you taking the UKCAT?
Reply 6209
hahaha, i have to broaden my choices in case i don't get in :wink: there is a slight possibility I won't. So, to be safe, I'm taking the UKCAT :smile:
Reply 6210
hahaha, i have to broaden my choices in case i don't get in :wink: there is a slight possibility I won't. So, to be safe, I'm taking the UKCAT :smile:

Oh good luck. :smile:
Where else are you applying?
Reply 6211
I'm also applying to Queens, Manchester, Liverpool :smile: I applied to these specifically because my relatives live around the area.

How about you? :smile:
Reply 6212
I'm also applying to Queens, Manchester, Liverpool :smile: I applied to these specifically because my relatives live around the area.

How about you? :smile:

KCL, Soton, St.Andrews and Birmingham
I like a lot of the course structure and birmingham has a lot of intl spaces. :smile:
Reply 6213
Trueee :smile: I forgot to tell you that I'm also from Toronto too! Are you applying to the five year or six year programs?:confused:
Reply 6214
Trueee :smile: I forgot to tell you that I'm also from Toronto too! Are you applying to the five year or six year programs?:confused:

5 year programs. 6 years are only for those who have either bio/chem i believe: like they do not have both sciences. I think you are going to apply to 5 year as well? Woot, Torontonians!( totally made up that word)
Reply 6215
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Original post by _lynx_

Managed to borrow the book from my school library this afternoon :thumbsup: However, the help you guys have given me will be extremely useful also :biggrin: So thanks again!
Reply 6216
Original post by tbag1
Managed to borrow the book from my school library this afternoon :thumbsup: However, the help you guys have given me will be extremely useful also :biggrin: So thanks again!

You're welcome :smile: Feel free to ask any questions you might have about applying to medical schools/ admissions tests.
Reply 6217
Original post by apple17
5 year programs. 6 years are only for those who have either bio/chem i believe: like they do not have both sciences. I think you are going to apply to 5 year as well? Woot, Torontonians!( totally made up that word)

Me too! :smile: LOL they say that in the Toronto star, they actually call us Torontonians :smile: yea I'm definitely applying to the six year program as well.
Hi all
I did the ukcat today and scored an average of 630 which isnt great. Ive got 11A*s and 2As (gcses) where can i apply :smile: i definitely like nottingham, what oter ukcat uni would i have a good chance applying to?
Reply 6219
Original post by missdunni
Hi all
I did the ukcat today and scored an average of 630 which isnt great. Ive got 11A*s and 2As (gcses) where can i apply :smile: i definitely like nottingham, what oter ukcat uni would i have a good chance applying to?

Does it HAVE to be a UKCAT university? With your GCSEs, Birmingham is a safe bet :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending