The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I rejected SOAS based on location. I prefer to take London in small doses. I'd effing hate to live there.

Which brings me to question exactly why I want to go to Tokyo. Which ones the place with nice beaches. Hokkaido?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 201
Original post by Susant
Which brings me to question exactly why I want to go to Tokyo. Which ones the place with nice beaches. Hokkaido?

Hokkaido is up north. It's cold there.
And an idiot gaijin called Arudou Debito lives there and makes life difficult for the Japanese.

You're probably thinking of Okinawa. :smile:
Reply 202
Original post by avila
Hokkaido is up north. It's cold there.
And an idiot gaijin called Arudou Debito lives there and makes life difficult for the Japanese.

You're probably thinking of Okinawa. :smile:

Japan has a cold bit? Screw beaches. Hokkaido!

(and yeah, I was thinking of Okinawa at first)
Original post by Susant
Japan has a cold bit? Screw beaches. Hokkaido!

(and yeah, I was thinking of Okinawa at first)

Sheffield uni is linked with a Uni in both Hokkaido and Okinawa XD. I however am opting for Tokyo :rolleyes:
Reply 204
Original post by Susant
I rejected SOAS based on location. I prefer to take London in small doses. I'd effing hate to live there.

Okinawa I think :holmes:
Reply 205
I love the city life. London(central), Tokyo, Osaka, NY, Hong Kong, those are the sort of places I wanna live in :daydreaming:
Can anyone please PM me some examples of what kind of tasks are asked in essays etc for the 'extra' modules in year 2?

I am worried about the work load and if I knew that, I could get a good idea of whether it's something I can do or not.
I fear I may be joining this a little late ^^; In any case, hello :3 I've confirmed my place and accommodation and all that jazz and shall be joining you in Japanese Studies! Woo. Apparently I class as a mature student at the grand old age of twenty-one >____> what fun. But yes. Pleased to meet you ^___^
Reply 208
Original post by Jaegerjaquez
I fear I may be joining this a little late ^^; In any case, hello :3 I've confirmed my place and accommodation and all that jazz and shall be joining you in Japanese Studies! Woo. Apparently I class as a mature student at the grand old age of twenty-one >____> what fun. But yes. Pleased to meet you ^___^

Welcome aboard. :smile:

Only seven-ish weeks left now. Is this your second undergraduate degree? If so, what did you do before?
Original post by avila
Welcome aboard. :smile:

Only seven-ish weeks left now. Is this your second undergraduate degree? If so, what did you do before?

Thank you :') Oho no, I went to Aberystwyth University to do Fine Art & French but dropped out after a semester and have spent the last three years working full-time and doing a Art Foundation degree... I am so looking forward to going to Sheffield now, seven weeks is too long! :')
Reply 210
Original post by Jaegerjaquez

Hi :biggrin:

I'll be starting Japanese in September too, so nice to meet you.

XD I feel old too. 22 later this year and yet I'm a, "mature student."

The internet is so bad here so I'm sorry for now saying hi sooner.

*Waves to everyone* can't wait to meet everyone in September. Hajimema****e!!!! Douzo yoroshiku!
Reply 211

I'm going on the course and I'm 24 so I think I've got you beat on age Rhian. ^^

Don't suppose anyone could answer me this question:

On the year abroad do you stay on the Japanese Uni campus', or do you live with a host family? Due to a mix up I accidentally went to the modern languages talk on the open day rather than the Japanese talk so I didn't get that part.
Reply 212
Original post by Donbar
I'm going on the course and I'm 24 so I think I've got you beat on age Rhian. ^^

On the year abroad do you stay on the Japanese Uni campus', or do you live with a host family? Due to a mix up I accidentally went to the modern languages talk on the open day rather than the Japanese talk so I didn't get that part.

Default is accomodation given by the Japanese Uni. I believe it might be possible to stay with a host if you so desire. You can always email the department to check.
Reply 213
Original post by Donbar

I saw some woman who looked in her late 30s on the open day so :biggrin: you won't be the oldest either.

I was gonna go, "AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?!!!" before remembering I posted it at the beginning of the thread XD :colondollar:

Em....depending on the uni, you can either stay in the uni dorms or are given an apartment of some sorts. I was talking to someone who had lived with other non-Japanese students in a special accommodation designed for foreigners. Depending on uni, you could end up in a variety of places. I don't remember they mentioning anything about a host family though :smile: but it might be possible if you knew some one and were offered to live with them.
Ahhh I'm so excited/nervous. Sorry if I'm painfully shy during the first few weeks, it's like an awful affliction! :mad: Can't wait to start learning though. Haven't been in a language class for near 10 years so I hope I can get into the swing of it all!
Reply 215
Original post by GuineaPrig
Ahhh I'm so excited/nervous. Sorry if I'm painfully shy during the first few weeks, it's like an awful affliction! :mad: Can't wait to start learning though. Haven't been in a language class for near 10 years so I hope I can get into the swing of it all!

Me too :colondollar: I'm kind of shy at first. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo excited too!!!! I can't wait to start the course!

Everything will be okay! Only thing I'm worried about is that the amount of students during the open days was O_O overwhelming for Japanese studies. How will we all fit? -__- I bet I just asked a stupid question.
Reply 216
Original post by 07734
Me too :colondollar: I'm kind of shy at first. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo excited too!!!! I can't wait to start the course!

Everything will be okay! Only thing I'm worried about is that the amount of students during the open days was O_O overwhelming for Japanese studies. How will we all fit? -__- I bet I just asked a stupid question.

Me three?
Also don't have a Failbook profile and don't like clubbing, so I'll immediately be labeled a social outcast. Fun times ahead. :/

Anyway, during the June open day, Hugo Dobson said there were around 80 places for the entire department and they had eleven applicants for each place during the 2011 cycle. 80 places is actually really tiny, so it's not too bad. I hope the classes are going to be small.
Original post by 07734

Yayyyy everyone's excited!!! :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure we're divided up into 5 or 6 groups, looking at the timetables...:eek:
Original post by avila
Me three?
Also don't have a Failbook profile and don't like clubbing, so I'll immediately be labeled a social outcast. Fun times ahead. :/

Snap XD I'm sure there'll be more of us!!
Reply 219
May I be the D'Artagnan to your Three Musketeers. :colondollar:

I have a feeling clubbing won't be my thing....:colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending