The Student Room Group

Working at JD Sports

Was just wondering if anyone works at jd sports, whats it like, would you recommend it? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
huh odd no replies. i started my first shift monday, impressions are alright so far, but interview and induction were quite unprofessional, wasn't introduced to anybody, left clueless and ignored for long periods of time. pay is £5 per hour, same as my last job, average really. looking forward to getting paid and just having a paying job for the summer :smile:
Reply 3
my ex worked there and enjoyed it, hes worked up through the ranks and now is a store manager, thats all i know im afraid
Reply 4
Original post by Adds
huh odd no replies. i started my first shift monday, impressions are alright so far, but interview and induction were quite unprofessional, wasn't introduced to anybody, left clueless and ignored for long periods of time. pay is £5 per hour, same as my last job, average really. looking forward to getting paid and just having a paying job for the summer :smile:

heyy,
im having an interview at JD sports this thrsday... any advices?? I just really have no idea what to wear or what to expectt..
thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Aselya
heyy,
im having an interview at JD sports this thrsday... any advices?? I just really have no idea what to wear or what to expectt..
thanks

as to what to wear, their website says something sporty, as its a sports shop, however i went in a casual suit. my reasoning being no matter what the job, the better you dress the better you will be perceived. it's a psychological thing really, you plant in the interviewers mind a particular image of competence and professionalism. it doesn't matter that its just a part time job. ofc don't go super formal, they might just think you haven't got the right idea.

questions i faced as far as i can remember were, why do you want to work at jd? what do you think would be an area you need improving about yourself? do you have any examples of a time you've had to to deal with customers/customer service examples. how would you greet customers and how would you approach them? what signs would make you aware that a customer needed help or was looking to buy something?

just general customer service questions. however my manager who did the interview appeared to be relatively new to it, he was reading off a sheet, didnt make any notes. i probably could've said anything and he'd have hired me because they needed the staff.

i must also inform you, if your local branch is anything like mine, prepare to be taught almost nothing except one section (e.g. footwear) not told anything about clothing or about how to use the till. the rota changes at short notice and they dont tell you. communication between management and staff is minimal. and expect lots of chavs. but maybe im just unlucky and have high standards.
Reply 6
Original post by Adds
i must also inform you, if your local branch is anything like mine, prepare to be taught almost nothing except one section (e.g. footwear) not told anything about clothing or about how to use the till. the rota changes at short notice and they dont tell you. communication between management and staff is minimal. and expect lots of chavs. but maybe im just unlucky and have high standards.

That is exactly what jd sports is like the place is an absolute joke!
Reply 7
this is what you expect working in JD;

"xcuze me m8 u got a syz 9 in deze air max 90s, der kinda boom ting"
Reply 8
haha the other day i got a chav rush in and spout something like

"oi m8, wheres ya air max 95's"

i felt unclean.
don't worry what people think mate just be yourself yes thats most important thing in life.
Reply 10
Original post by adds
as to what to wear, their website says something sporty, as its a sports shop, however i went in a casual suit. My reasoning being no matter what the job, the better you dress the better you will be perceived. It's a psychological thing really, you plant in the interviewers mind a particular image of competence and professionalism. It doesn't matter that its just a part time job. Ofc don't go super formal, they might just think you haven't got the right idea.

Questions i faced as far as i can remember were, why do you want to work at jd? What do you think would be an area you need improving about yourself? Do you have any examples of a time you've had to to deal with customers/customer service examples. How would you greet customers and how would you approach them? What signs would make you aware that a customer needed help or was looking to buy something?

Just general customer service questions. However my manager who did the interview appeared to be relatively new to it, he was reading off a sheet, didnt make any notes. I probably could've said anything and he'd have hired me because they needed the staff.

I must also inform you, if your local branch is anything like mine, prepare to be taught almost nothing except one section (e.g. Footwear) not told anything about clothing or about how to use the till. The rota changes at short notice and they dont tell you. Communication between management and staff is minimal. And expect lots of chavs. But maybe im just unlucky and have high standards.

thankssss a lot!!!!!
Reply 11
Hi, I applied today and th store manager opened cv and cover letter infront of me, they seemed quite freindly on average how long do they take to get back to you? really want to get it and whats the interview like?
thank youu :smile:
I really would like to work at jd
Reply 13
I've got the job at JD and I'm working there in a weeks time, I haven't recieved my uniform yet..? Will I just have to go in without one and they give me one..?
I quit after 4 shifts as the pay was awful and so was the work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start on saturday, eight hour shift, haven't received my uniform, haven't been today how much my salary per hour will be, haven't even been taught anything to prepare me, if you quit after 4 shifts God knows how long it will take me to quit.
Original post by Smiljance
I start on saturday, eight hour shift, haven't received my uniform, haven't been today how much my salary per hour will be, haven't even been taught anything to prepare me, if you quit after 4 shifts God knows how long it will take me to quit.

You'll get given uniform on the first shift I imagine, yeah I wasn't ever really given "training" lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would I fill out the JD online application? I don't know what to write for the general skills section as I feel like I'm gonna write the wrong thing
Reply 18
Original post by itsjustfatimah
How would I fill out the JD online application? I don't know what to write for the general skills section as I feel like I'm gonna write the wrong thing

Well considering your applying for a supervisory/management position then why should anyone help you?
Why has this thread got so many views but so few replies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest