The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3560
Just watched First Class. If only I was metal, Fassbender could warp me to his will. :sogood:

McAvoy and Fassbender were as excellent as people made out. The best in the X-Men franchise thus far, imo.
Came back from watching Transformers 3 in Cinema an hour ago for the second time and realised it is still **** even in big screen :sigh:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3562
Original post by boromir9111
Came back from watching Transformers 3 in Cinema an hour ago for the second time and realised it is still **** :sigh:

It took you more than one viewing to realise that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zjs
It took you more than one viewing to realise that?

Yes :sigh:.......lol, nah......my bro-in-law and sister wanted to watch this so I agreed as well....if I had my way, I would have watched Horrible Bosses but even that looks ****.....ah well, it was a good night out :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3564
Original post by boromir9111
Yes :sigh:.......lol, nah......my bro-in-law and sister wanted to watch this so I agreed as well....if I had my way, I would have watched Horrible Bosses but even that looks ****.....ah well, it was a good night out :tongue:

Horrible Bosses is an excellent comedy. You definitely drew the short straw.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zjs
Horrible Bosses is an excellent comedy. You definitely drew the short straw.

:sigh: there is no justice.....ahh well, when a good print comes out I shall watch it :tongue:
Reply 3566
I haven't seen this mentioned on here:

It looks excellent, imo. I can't make out exactly what Damon's role is, but it doesn't seem to be the clichéd normal-guy-saves-world storyline. Also, if I remember correctly, it's meant to be Soderbergh's last film.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I'm not a fan either. I did enjoy the Underworld films, but as more of a guilty pleasure if anything. I don't think he's particularly suited for the remake. Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg are the only ones that have produced outstanding and great (respectively) Philip K Dick adaptations. Shame really, if the preview impressions are anything to go by. Nolan doing a Philip K Dick adaptation would be pretty marvellous. Even Inception had those 'Dick' story vibes to them. I guess a lot of science fiction films do though.

Bit unfair not to give Richard Linklater a mention there.
Saw the trailer for Contagion, looks ok, kinda wanna see it

but omg Rise of the Apes... I'm already in love with the film, looks amazing imo
Reply 3569
Saying that the summer holidays are here, i've been watching quite a few movies but i'm stumped on which ones to give a watch now saying i rarely watch movies...

So far i watched the A Team, Unknown and a few more... I thought unknown was great!

Anyone name a few recent films that i could give a watch? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3570
Original post by anarone
Saying that the summer holidays are here, i've been watching quite a few movies but i'm stumped on which ones to give a watch now saying i rarely watch movies...

So far i watched the A Team, Unknown and a few more... I thought unknown was great!

Anyone name a few recent films that i could give a watch? Thanks :smile:

If you want good recent films, you could start with last year's Oscar contenders - 127 Hours, The Social Network. The King's Speech, etc etc. Other very recent decent films would include Source Code and X-Men: First Class. It largely depends on what kind of movie you like to watch, tbh.
In retrospect, my feelings towards Horrible Bosses have considerably dampened.
Reply 3572
Original post by Phalanges

When I first saw the posters/cast/ratings, I thought it would be a brainless comedy with Kevin Spacey being just about the only good thing in it, so I was surprised when you said it was an excellent film. What changed? Would you still say it's worth watching?
Reply 3573
Original post by Phalanges

I must say I was surprised by your initial reaction to it! I haven't seen it but the trailer did absolutely nothing for me.
Going to see Cars 2 tomorrow.

Could not give a **** what the critics say :h:
Original post by cambo211
Going to see Cars 2 tomorrow.

Could not give a **** what the critics say :h:

Amen brother. That's the general attitude I carry when I got see any film in general

I hear it's better than the first ayway
Original post by Abiraleft

Original post by Abiraleft
When I first saw the posters/cast/ratings, I thought it would be a brainless comedy with Kevin Spacey being just about the only good thing in it, so I was surprised when you said it was an excellent film. What changed? Would you still say it's worth watching?

It's not a bad film (indeed, I laughed more times than I have in most comedies this year) and I'd still recommend seeing it, but it just feels a little disappointing when I look back at it. It comes close to being a good example of a number of different things, but then it fails right at the last second. For example, they have some wonderfully dark material to play on with the subject matter (in particular the stuff about a man being sexually harassed), but they never really do anything with it and revert back to some pretty lame mainstream gags instead, like foreign people having difficult names to pronounce.

I think my biggest issue with it though is that there's not a single character in the film, and that really bugs me. You can criticise Apatow's style of comedy for not having any real "jokes", but the thing he does brilliantly is to actually have characters that feel real and accountable, and are ultimately infinitely more interesting because of it. Funny People worked because Adam Sandler's character really did feel kind of pathetic and small, and that was intriguing. In this nobody gives a damn about anyone - three guys are talking about killing people, and there is none of the resonance that there should really be because it feels utterly detached from emotion. And that is fine for a while, but it doesn't really make it memorable.

Like I said I still found it funny and I'd still recommend seeing it (Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx are worth the price of admission alone), but by Christmas I doubt I'll remember it.
Reply 3577
Saw HP7 part 2 today, was quite surprised at how good it was.

It managed to create a great sense of awe for the final part, though some of the emotional scenes could've been a bit better.
If anybody is interested: Blade Runner is on iPlayer :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest