The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenl93
I'm in a similar position to you, except I also have OCD and have yt to start treatment. The hardest thing for me was to tell anyone or seek help, I used to love my ED, it made me feel happy when I got that buzz from having diet coke for my meals, give my friends/family fatty calorific foods and get this sense of enjoyment from the fact they were eating it and I wasn't, As well As the happy and victorius feeling after purging. But now, it's different. Back then I had no health side effects and no people asking "so, are you sure you're ok?"

Now, I see and feel the side effects. My hair is thin and damaged and falls out, I have 3 red permanent scars on my knuckles with acid-damaged right hand nails, I'm always bloated even when I haven't ate anything all day, my skin is dry with bumps and I have no understanding of my body shape. I look at it, hating myself at the fact that I feel pain when I look at my legs in the mirror and yet my best friend says I have lost so much weight in the past year, but I can't see it. I just, can't.

And now I'm commencing a gap year where I hope to improve and fight the likelihood of a further decline, however I know it's for the best, if I hadve went to uni I would have abused Tge fact I was in charge of what food i buy and how much I ate A's well As being a hypocrite training to become a professional but who has a problem herself. But hey, this time next year I'll be better and know how to cope a well As (hopefully) having an unconditional offer for a degree I know I'm perfect for.

Oh, I'm sorry, that didn't mean to turn into a life story :/
I don't exactly ever tell anyone it I guess

Omg poor you. Hope you and everyone else on this thread get better :console:
Binging Binging Binging. Failure
Original post by Cinamon
Binging Binging Binging. Failure

*shakes head* You are NOT a failure. Not at all. Sometimes things get hard and your other coping mechanisms aren't developed enough. Doesn't mean you're a failure, just means there's something going on inside your head. :hugs:
I'm about to have to start regaining the stone I lost during a relapse :frown: It's so distressing. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep myself motivated?
Reply 1244
Original post by TheHyacinthGirl
I'm about to have to start regaining the stone I lost during a relapse :frown: It's so distressing. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep myself motivated?

I'm in the same position, I want to get back up to my April weight before uni in September. I wish I knew though! For a couple of days I was really organised about it: try to make a list, every morning, of the foods you are definitely going to eat in the day (e.g. at least the bare minimum for breakfast, lunch and dinner,) then aim to add extra foods to the list throughout the day. That way, if you're not feeling great you can just stick to the list, and if you're feeling better you can be more adventurous :smile:

My main problem atm is that I lie to myself. I automatically put off eating another hour, then another hour, then another... before I know it I've skipped another meal, yet in my head I ate the meal because I intended to, so my next meal only needs to be small... eugh that doesn't even make sense :s-smilie: All I can say is good luck :smile: music and light walking might help too.
Maybe keep a list up somewhere of things that you want to do when fully well. Or maybe a picture of you when you were healthy and looking happy? Pictures of those who love you and want you to be well? Picturing your Mum's face when you were at your worst whenever you're tempted to skip or cut down on food. It can also help to replace those old nasty mantras with good, healthy ones - 'I need to be healthy and strong to do what I want to do'.

Anyway you're all in my thoughts and prayers for good health and a full recovery!
Reply 1246
Going to see Iron Maiden tonight. Hopefully it'll be amazing (run to the hills, people! xD) There's one thing bugging me though:

Spoiler

Eek.
And I really want to gooooo : (
Original post by Kebabbi
I'm in the same position, I want to get back up to my April weight before uni in September. I wish I knew though! For a couple of days I was really organised about it: try to make a list, every morning, of the foods you are definitely going to eat in the day (e.g. at least the bare minimum for breakfast, lunch and dinner,) then aim to add extra foods to the list throughout the day. That way, if you're not feeling great you can just stick to the list, and if you're feeling better you can be more adventurous :smile:

My main problem atm is that I lie to myself. I automatically put off eating another hour, then another hour, then another... before I know it I've skipped another meal, yet in my head I ate the meal because I intended to, so my next meal only needs to be small... eugh that doesn't even make sense :s-smilie: All I can say is good luck :smile: music and light walking might help too.

Thanks so much for that idea :] I do something similar: I'll intend to eat a meal, and then think that I won't, but delude myself that it's ok because at least I intended to eat it and didn't plan on skipping, so congratulate myself anyway, which is utterly ridiculous.

Plans are definately the way forward. I'm trying to work out realistically how much I need to eat to get the weight on by myself, as I realllllly don't want NHS intervention, or parental intervention, because both in the past have made things mentally much worse.

Good luck with everything. I really hope you regain the weight you need. It's good to think of it as regaining rather than gaining. You've made the right choice.
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk
Maybe keep a list up somewhere of things that you want to do when fully well. Or maybe a picture of you when you were healthy and looking happy? Pictures of those who love you and want you to be well? Picturing your Mum's face when you were at your worst whenever you're tempted to skip or cut down on food. It can also help to replace those old nasty mantras with good, healthy ones - 'I need to be healthy and strong to do what I want to do'.

Anyway you're all in my thoughts and prayers for good health and a full recovery!

Definately thinking of other people helps. My main motivation at the moment is how much my parents are upset and worried. They've done a lot to help me in the past and I feel guilty for putting them through this again. I think it's really important with eating disorders to remind yourself that there is a world and other people out there. It's so easy to live in your mind.
Original post by Riku
Going to see Iron Maiden tonight. Hopefully it'll be amazing (run to the hills, people! xD) There's one thing bugging me though:

Spoiler

Eek.

Could you take some food with you, with the excuse that you're running low on cash so don't want to waste money buying overpriced food there?
Reply 1250
Original post by Anonymous
Could you take some food with you, with the excuse that you're running low on cash so don't want to waste money buying overpriced food there?

Well it was gonna be a kind of exposure therapy as part of CBT but if I don't feel up to it, yeah was thinking of taking some sandwiches just in case : ) good idea, only I'm not sure if they'll let me into the venue with them. Either way I'm going, we can't let fear or guilt stop us doing what we want. Thanks for the suggestion : )
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

Eek.

Sorry I can't say anything helpful, but I do want to say that I saw them on Saturday and they were wonderful. I hope you have fun and that it'll be a good escape from things in your head for a while for you.
Reply 1252
Sorry I can't say anything helpful, but I do want to say that I saw them on Saturday and they were wonderful. I hope you have fun and that it'll be a good escape from things in your head for a while for you.

Thanks, I guess getting out of our own minds for a bit is all we need sometimes. Glad to see a fellow metalhead anyway :biggrin:
They've done a lot to help me in the past and I feel guilty for putting them through this again. .

Try to focus on their love and desire to see their beautiful daughter get well rather than on your feelings of guilt. You are ill and therefore have nothing to be guilty about as long as you are putting all of your will towards recovery. :smile:

I think it's really important with eating disorders to remind yourself that there is a world and other people out there. It's so easy to live in your mind.

Definately! This is so true, in many illnesses like EDs and depression sufferers live almost entirely in their own heads. A technique called mindfulness often helps. When you are able to, try to pay attention to the environment around you, especially the natural world. Watch the clouds, the trees, the birds, really pay attention to what is going on. If walking think about the placement of your feet, the ground texture and qualities of what you are walking on, the feeling of the wind on your face......... :smile:
Reply 1254
Woo, Maiden were awesome ^ ^ Dance of Death and Hallowed Be Thy Name blew me away...and I somehow even managed the Big Mac meal! It tasted absolutely awful :')
Don't let this get in the way of your hopes and dreams everyone, there's a beautiful world out there that we've a right to call our own.
Reply 1255
Thanks so much for that idea :] I do something similar: I'll intend to eat a meal, and then think that I won't, but delude myself that it's ok because at least I intended to eat it and didn't plan on skipping, so congratulate myself anyway, which is utterly ridiculous.

Plans are definately the way forward. I'm trying to work out realistically how much I need to eat to get the weight on by myself, as I realllllly don't want NHS intervention, or parental intervention, because both in the past have made things mentally much worse.

Good luck with everything. I really hope you regain the weight you need. It's good to think of it as regaining rather than gaining. You've made the right choice.

Ohhh absolutely same, all of what you said! Sometimes I even feel guilty for eating so much without ever having eaten any of it, it's ridiculousss :colondollar: Good luck though :smile:

Original post by Riku
Woo, Maiden were awesome ^ ^ Dance of Death and Hallowed Be Thy Name blew me away...and I somehow even managed the Big Mac meal! It tasted absolutely awful :')
Don't let this get in the way of your hopes and dreams everyone, there's a beautiful world out there that we've a right to call our own.

WOOO :biggrin: (I would put a little dancy banana thing here but I don't know how... thought that counts, eh! :smile: )
Original post by Riku

Well done!! There's definately so much more to life than disordered eating, and nights like that are a reminder of how good things can be.

Unfortunately I went to Maiden after a massive eating-disorder-related argument with my parents. I decided to get drunk before the gig to cheer up, which worked, but I had to go out to be sick three times. Stupid low body weight and alcohol intolerance. Still, GREAT NIGHT.

Do you ever listen to music as an escape? Do you like other metal?
Hey guys, hope you're all ok!
Went to the theatre tonight with my mum. It was a much better amateur production than the one I saw a few weeks back but I just feel so miserable now. My mum just systematically destroys any bit of confidence I develop. I just want to go to uni so I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Aw well. Tomorrow morning I'm off to Bristol and then to Glastonbury for my sister's friend's wedding and then on Monday, I'm off to Paris.

Oh and I wanted to have a bit of a celebration! My hair has grown for the first time in years! It's been constantly breaking since I was about 8. There's something to be said for a) not putting chemicals in it and b) dreadlocks. Imagine what it would be like if I could get my eating up to scratch! That's a vain sort of motivation but additional motivation all the same!

I'll post a photo because I'm quite proud of my 'fro now! Ignore the phone in front of my face and the lopsided...ness of my hair! I hadn't quite finished combing it out. :colondollar:

Spoiler

Well done Riku! :hugs:

I'm not going to be able to post until the 18th August so I want to give you all e hugs and well-wishes! Keep fighting everyone. :hugs:
Reply 1258
Well done Riku!! And Diamonddust, I know how tough it can be when a family member inadvertently does nothing but all-day-trigger-ye-up. It can be pretty difficult. On the upside, your hair is kickass!

A good and bad thing for me is that my recovery has had me hit the 7stone mark. Still not great for a man, but terrifying for me. One thing I'll note is that I've actually reached that point where I had to loosen my belt to use the first ACTUAL belt hole, which had me in tears, then elated, then tears again, then air-punching with my sense of achievement. EDs can make you pretty crazed in terms of mood swings. God knows what I would've been like if I was born a girl; my hormonal mood swings plus "time of the month"? Man, that'd be a terrifying prospect.
New evidence is coming out that men go through a 'time of the month' of sorts too emotionally, not only that but men also have been found to go through an emotional menopause too! Hormonally too.

Thought I'd pop that in.

CONGRATS DIAMOND AND TOTO! Both. Of. You. Are. BRILLIANT INSPIRATIONS!

Quick Reply

Latest