The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
If anybody is interested: Blade Runner is on iPlayer :yep:

Watched it a couple of days ago... for the first time ever. :redface: All in all I really enjoyed the film, especially the visuals and the music. Think I'll have to give it another watch to properly enjoy the story etc. Sci-fi films especially aren't the easiest to follow on the first watch because they often take place in a whole different world with their own rules.

I was also surprised to find out how many different cuts there are of Blade Runner so I did some youtubing and came to the conclusion that I'm glad I saw the Final Cut. It's always interesting to compare directors' cuts to original releases and often see how the studios are prone to go for a cut they believe would make the most money even if it compromises the film itself a bit.
Reply 3581
Just watched World Trade Centre...it's definitely not as good as United 93 and drags on for too long. The film had a lot of potential but the directing and script were just not good. And there wasn't a solid plot.
Reply 3582
Original post by Abiraleft
If you want good recent films, you could start with last year's Oscar contenders - 127 Hours, The Social Network. The King's Speech, etc etc. Other very recent decent films would include Source Code and X-Men: First Class. It largely depends on what kind of movie you like to watch, tbh.

decided to go for 127 hours and found a film called The Town, dont know if any of you have heard of it but looks good!
Original post by elisabethbridge
Watched it a couple of days ago... for the first time ever. :redface: All in all I really enjoyed the film, especially the visuals and the music. Think I'll have to give it another watch to properly enjoy the story etc. Sci-fi films especially aren't the easiest to follow on the first watch because they often take place in a whole different world with their own rules.

I was also surprised to find out how many different cuts there are of Blade Runner so I did some youtubing and came to the conclusion that I'm glad I saw the Final Cut. It's always interesting to compare directors' cuts to original releases and often see how the studios are prone to go for a cut they believe would make the most money even if it compromises the film itself a bit.

Great stuff. Mostly everything about the film is top notch. The story handles the philosophical undertones extremely well too, visuals were fantastic for their time and the Vangelis synth music is just brilliant and you can find it influencing modern science fiction video game soundtracks as well.

And yeah, good decision, the Final Cut is the best version available. The Theatrical Cut has the annoying voice-over and the Director's Cut and International Cut aren't the best either. Director's Cuts are hit and miss really. In some cases, they are inferior to the theatrical version and in other cases, they make for a better film than was originally released.

What did you think of the ending?

Original post by anarone
decided to go for 127 hours and found a film called The Town, dont know if any of you have heard of it but looks good!

A few of us have watched it. It's a really good film, quite surprising how little it's really brought up in conversations or recommendations. More people should give it a watch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3584
Original post by anarone

127 Hours :yy:

I thought The Town was pretty good. If you like it, you should also check out Gone Baby Gone; like The Town, it's directed and co-written by Ben Affleck. Personally, I preferred the latter.
Reply 3585
If you've got $2,295,000 spare, then this is a great buy - The Dude's House for sale.
If you've never watched Bladerunner before then the Final Cut is definitely the best option. If however you're already a fan of Bladerunner it doesn't feel quite the same with all of the gaffes removed, so you might as well stick with the Director's Cut.
If anybody is interested: Blade Runner is on iPlayer :yep:

and is also being re-made as I'm sure you know already. You excited for it? just wondering
Original post by lukejoshjedi
and is also being re-made as I'm sure you know already. You excited for it? just wondering

What?! :lolwut:
What?! :lolwut:

http://www.thefilmpilgrim.com/news/blade-runner-remake-on-the-cards/2093

I'm sure you knew this already ape :wink: but yeah. I guess it could go either way, but it's likely to go ahead
Original post by lukejoshjedi
http://www.thefilmpilgrim.com/news/blade-runner-remake-on-the-cards/2093

I'm sure you knew this already ape :wink: but yeah. I guess it could go either way, but it's likely to go ahead

Oh that. Nah, that's a bit misleading (fortunately). It's more a prequel or sequel.

"Our friend Christopher Nolan who we did Insomnia [with] would be the pie in the sky for us. To be clear I think what Christopher Nolan did - and to be clear, we cannot remake Blade Runner. As a legal matter, we have not bought the remake rights we have no interest in remaking it we can only do prequels or sequels. But I think the methodology that Christopher Nolan brought to Batman is precisely what we aspire to whomever the filmmaker is, whether Ridley Scott comes back and joins us or it's someone else. It's precisely what we aspire to with Blade Runner, that's the template for us."

The company, Alcon Entertainment, is acquiring rights that will allow them to make a movie with elements from both Scott's 1982 movie and the Phillip K. Dick novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" on which it's based.

The company isn't buying remake rights in fact, co-founder Broderick Johnson says "we never would want to remake it but they do think there's a rich vein of material for a prequel or sequel, which they will be entitled to make. (They'd also be allowed to build off scenes from the original.)

We discussed this a while back I think. I don't have much faith in the project and can't see them bringing out as good a story but we'll see how it turns out I guess.
Reply 3591
I was going through a list of films meant to be/possibly out this year, and I have to say I'm very excited about several of them:

- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Tomas Alfredson; Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong,
- Shame: Steve McQueen; Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan
- Carnage: Roman Polanski; Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly
- A Dangerous Method: David Cronenberg; Viggo Mortensen, Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: David Fincher; Rooney Mara, Daniel Craig
- Wuthering Heights: Andrea Arnold

Plus, several already-released films I'm looking forward to seeing, like Tree of Life and Like Crazy.

It's going to be a good year. :biggrin:

I won't believe it until it's on a screen somewhere, I think pretty much all of his books have been confirmed as films at some point. If it comes to fruition then I'll be very pleased though, although I won't really be happy until Survivor gets made.
Reply 3594
Just watched A Perfect World. What an awesome film. Clint Eastwood rarely ever disappoints and Kevin Costner was awesome as well. Can't believe I had never heard of it before, the ending was tragic.
Getting to the end of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and man this film is depressing... I hope it picks up before the end or I'm gonna have to watch another whole film to cheer myself up lol
I want to be James Stewart in Rear Window. Not fair he got to smooch Grace Kelly or be one of the greatest actors of all time (that is actually pretty fair). Still, Grace Kelly, not fair. :frown:
Reply 3597
I'm quite looking forward to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
Reply 3598
Original post by zjs

Quick question wrt this: would it likely be necessary to have watched Planet of the Apes in order to understand/enjoy the new one? I haven't watched either of the previous PotA's.
Original post by zjs

I'm really not. The concept is ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest