The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
I was just wondering once you've started uni, would it be possible to change the accomodation you applied for? I realise that I want to change mine but feeling that might not happen :/
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by jrsantosb
I was just wondering once you've started uni, would it be possible to change the accomodation you applied for? I realise that I want to change mine but feeling that might not happen :/

It's possible, but your choice will be severely limited and there will almost certainly be an admin fee. Where did you want to change to? A few halls like Bill Mo, Bakewell, Elvyn etc, really there's almost no chance of getting a room in them now.
Is freshers 1 week or 2?
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Is freshers 1 week or 2?

Kind of a week and a half. Exactly how long depends on which hall you're in, arrivals are spread over three days (Tuesday 27th to Thursday 29th) and freshers' stuff "ends" with the freshers' ball which I think will be Saturday October 6th.
Reply 844
Original post by Melting Sugar.
Pole dance society.

:cry:

It was probably for the best.

do they fill up first? and do the people who arrive on the 29th miss out on clubs that the people who've arrived on the 27th get to go to? that would piss me off.
Original post by Sawwah
do the people who arrive on the 29th miss out on clubs that the people who've arrived on the 27th get to go to? that would piss me off.

No. The freshers' fair where all the societies and stuff advertise themselves isn't until a couple of weeks later, the people arriving earlier have no advantage.
Reply 846
oh, cool. thankyou!
Hi all! An excellent thread i might add.. realy need some assistance from anyone please, here's abit about me:

Postrgraduate student, moving to loughborough for the first time.. looking for 'livable' accomodation, prefer a relaxed chilled environment (i.e peace n quiet) so anywhere with predominatly UGs is a big NO. Also trying to figure out the cost of rent, what is the cheapest and most expensive - it would be very kind if someone could give me a list of buildings which suit my needs.....

thanks in advance :wink:

p.s it would be very kind of someone also if you have any details of private accomodation or landlords, if you have any friends who may know any contacts etc. please forward details on
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
Hi all! An excellent thread i might add.. realy need some assistance from anyone please, here's abit about me:

Postrgraduate student, moving to loughborough for the first time.. looking for 'livable' accomodation, prefer a relaxed chilled environment (i.e peace n quiet) so anywhere with predominatly UGs is a big NO. Also trying to figure out the cost of rent, what is the cheapest and most expensive - it would be very kind if someone could give me a list of buildings which suit my needs.....

p.s it would be very kind of someone also if you have any details of private accomodation or landlords, if you have any friends who may know any contacts etc. please forward details on

If you're looking at halls then John Phillips is a nice one, though it's one of the most expensive. The hall itself is entirely postgraduates as far as I'm aware, with a high proportion of international students. Neighbouring halls are mostly undergrads though, so maybe not ideal.

The Holt could also be worth a look, it's predominantly an undergraduate hall but it's off campus with no neighbouring halls, not too big, and probably the quietest hall there is. The flats have less people than there tend to be in other halls (3-6).

I can't really help any more than that I'm afraid, I'm an undergrad and have only lived in halls.

See here for University run halls:

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/halls/postgraduatehalls/

Forest Court and John Phillips are post grad only, the others are mixed. I stayed in Forest Court which is reasonably priced, and very quiet.

Afraid I can't really help too much with private accommodation other than to try these:
http://www.nicholashumphreys.com/
http://www.clubeasy.com/loughborough/cityinfo.aspx

Just to add to the above, one of my friends lived/lives in The Cube (can't remember whether he's going back next year or not). It's outside the west side of campus (it's about ten minutes off that side of campus). It's cheap(er than the equivalent Uni ran halls), really nice, and fairly quiet. I'm considering it for my 3rd year. Plus, you get a big TV in the living room.

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/studentprivatehalls/lphs.asp?id=397&city=Loughborough
Original post by Potally_Tissed
If you're looking at halls then John Phillips is a nice one, though it's one of the most expensive. The hall itself is entirely postgraduates as far as I'm aware, with a high proportion of international students. Neighbouring halls are mostly undergrads though, so maybe not ideal.

The Holt could also be worth a look, it's predominantly an undergraduate hall but it's off campus with no neighbouring halls, not too big, and probably the quietest hall there is. The flats have less people than there tend to be in other halls (3-6).

I can't really help any more than that I'm afraid, I'm an undergrad and have only lived in halls.

appreciate your help dude, i was kind of looking for the cheaper option and both of the above seem to be in the higher price range.. what do you know about falkner egglinton (sumthing like that), as i was on the lbro site earlier and this was listed as postgrad and was the lowest priced... would u recommend?
appreciate your help dude, i was kind of looking for the cheaper option and both of the above seem to be in the higher price range.. what do you know about falkner egglinton (sumthing like that), as i was on the lbro site earlier and this was listed as postgrad and was the lowest priced... would u recommend?

It definitely doesn't fit some of your other criteria. It's listed as available for postgrads but it's a predominantly undergrad hall, and if you want some quiet it's definitely not a good choice. It's got bit of a reputation for being one of the liveliest halls.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Just to add to the above, one of my friends lived/lives in The Cube (can't remember whether he's going back next year or not). It's outside the west side of campus (it's about ten minutes off that side of campus). It's cheap(er than the equivalent Uni ran halls), really nice, and fairly quiet. I'm considering it for my 3rd year. Plus, you get a big TV in the living room.

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/studentprivatehalls/lphs.asp?id=397&city=Loughborough

thanks for helping, will check the links out and also hav u got any further info on the Cube accom,, price, tenats (UG/ PG or mix)..

EDIT: just checked out the link, on the outlook it seems like an excellent option especially with the low cost rent! however, is there anything i shud know i.e. what they dont want us to know kind of thing, any complaints or known negatives from other people?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Potally_Tissed
It definitely doesn't fit some of your other criteria. It's listed as available for postgrads but it's a predominantly undergrad hall, and if you want some quiet it's definitely not a good choice. It's got bit of a reputation for being one of the liveliest halls.

cheers dude, that is actualy very helpful to me right now as i wud hav probly gone for FE based just on the price, but i suppose i shud keep looking then.. it would be helpful and very kind if you do let me know of any other accom which you may come across in the meantime i.e. cheap, close to campus, peace n quiet and preferbly with PGs... in any case thanks very much :wink:
thanks for helping, will check the links out and also hav u got any further info on the Cube accom,, price, tenats (UG/ PG or mix)..

I'm not entirely sure on price, but my mate pays about £70 or £75 a week for an en-suite with a queensize (I think) bed - and I seem to remember him saying that because it's still fairly new and empty that he's managed to haggle down the price next year to under £70. From what I've seen there's a few post grad students in but I'm not sure on the actual mix of UG/PG ratio.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I'm not entirely sure on price, but my mate pays about £70 or £75 a week for an en-suite with a queensize (I think) bed - and I seem to remember him saying that because it's still fairly new and empty that he's managed to haggle down the price next year to under £70. From what I've seen there's a few post grad students in but I'm not sure on the actual mix of UG/PG ratio.

just checked out the link, on the outlook it seems like an excellent option especially with the low cost rent! however, is there anything i shud know i.e. what they dont want us to know kind of thing, any complaints or known negatives from other people?
Original post by LittleBill
See here for University run halls:

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/halls/postgraduatehalls/

Forest Court and John Phillips are post grad only, the others are mixed. I stayed in Forest Court which is reasonably priced, and very quiet.

Afraid I can't really help too much with private accommodation other than to try these:
http://www.nicholashumphreys.com/
http://www.clubeasy.com/loughborough/cityinfo.aspx

thanks dude :wink:
just checked out the link, on the outlook it seems like an excellent option especially with the low cost rent! however, is there anything i shud know i.e. what they dont want us to know kind of thing, any complaints or known negatives from other people?

I've not heard anything bad about it. But saying that, I only only a couple of people in there - but they're really happy with it.
How much space do you get in your room (BillMo) for stuff like TV's/PS3/Laptop ect?

Latest