The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not studied in Poland but if you have any questions about the language or customs let me know since I'm half Polish.
I'd love to hear your experiences - If I can't get into a UK vet school I'm considering Poland and Slovakia too. I hear so much about the Slovakian school but nothing about the Polish one so any info would be amazing!
Reply 3
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Not studied in Poland but if you have any questions about the language or customs let me know since I'm half Polish.

Awesome! Thank you :smile: I'll probably get in touch with you soon if that's ok?

Original post by MediterraneanX
I'd love to hear your experiences - If I can't get into a UK vet school I'm considering Poland and Slovakia too. I hear so much about the Slovakian school but nothing about the Polish one so any info would be amazing!

Same, I'd only heard of UVK Kosice from the TSR threads, but I'd never heard of SGGW until I had a look on the FVE website :smile: I'll keep you updated :smile:
Original post by calumcvet
Awesome! Thank you :smile: I'll probably get in touch with you soon if that's ok?

Yes of course, just send me a PM any time :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Yes of course, just send me a PM any time :wink:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I graduated in 2009 with Biology(2.1), lost all hope of doing vet med then recently found out I could study in central Europe. What are my options and what does the application process involve? Thanks!
Original post by aflee87
I graduated in 2009 with Biology(2.1), lost all hope of doing vet med then recently found out I could study in central Europe. What are my options and what does the application process involve? Thanks!

Well the european vet schools are:

Warsaw
Budapest
Kosice
Brno - Czech republic
2 in Romania - theyve been mentioned here before but i cant remember their names!

All courses are 6 years apart from the Kosice graduate course which is 4 years. Even if you're a grad you need to do 6 years at the other unis.

I think the romanian ones are the cheapest at ~4000-5000 a year (can a romania person correct me if im wrong). Then its kosice at 7000 euros a year. Im afraid I dont know how much Warsaw or Brno is, but budapest is 11000 a year - so by far the most expensive.

I think all of the courses (apart from Kosice grad course) have an entrance exam with a biology and chemistry part. Kosice, and Brno exams are definitely held in the university, so you need to travel to them - the others i dont know.

Kosice works out cheapest if youre a grad, purely because you skip the first 2 years. Romania is the cheapest apart from that, but also the newest - not saying thats a bad thing at all, but its something you might want to have a think about. Budapest is the most well known back in the UK it seems - but its also expensive. We have a few people in Kosice who transferred from Buda cos they hated it, so personally i hate the idea of buda. Saying that however, i realise ive only spoken to people who didnt like buda, so i know i have a very one sided opinion!
Reply 8
Original post by tigercallie

Kosice, and Brno exams are definitely held in the university, so you need to travel to them - the others i dont know.

Can't comment on Kosice but the Brno one can be sat in London with the Polish exam which was what I did.

Original post by tigercallie
Im afraid I dont know how much Warsaw or Brno is.

Warsaw is going to be 7500 euros for this coming year (11/12)

Can't wait :smile:
Has Warsaw gone back upto 6 years? I thought it was 5.5...
Reply 10
Has Warsaw gone back upto 6 years? I thought it was 5.5...

Yep, it's still 5.5 years :smile:

Original post by jamesmartyn
Can't comment on Kosice but the Brno one can be sat in London with the Polish exam which was what I did.

Warsaw is going to be 7500 euros for this coming year (11/12)

Can't wait :smile:

Don't I know you...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Is the course at Warsaw an English speaking one?

Shame even science graduates have to do the full 6 years. :s-smilie:
Original post by trixster
Is the course at Warsaw an English speaking one?

Shame even science graduates have to do the full 6 years. :s-smilie:

Yes it is (and technically it's 5.5 years but I get what you mean)
Reply 13
Yes it is (and technically it's 5.5 years but I get what you mean)

Ahh, interesting.

Are you applying to Warsaw and Kocise for 2012 entry then? :smile:
Reply 14
I am from Poland. So if you want to get to know sth about Warsaw, polish customs, studing in Poland, costs of living etc. then write me: [email protected]
I can help you. I can also give you my Skype profile, but first you have to write an email.
Ahh, interesting.

Are you applying to Warsaw and Kocise for 2012 entry then? :smile:

I hope so. I'm doing Alevel Biology this year but only AS Chemistry (I'm a non-science grad) so I can apply to the European schools off the back of that, but I could finish A2 Chemistry next year and try RVC/Notts first...quite a hard decision to make as I just want to get started really! Will you be applying?
Original post by calumcvet

According to their website you don't actually need to have taken Biology/Chemistry at A-Level in order to get a place at SGGW or Kosice - Just pass the entrance exam. Is that true?
Reply 17
I hope so. I'm doing Alevel Biology this year but only AS Chemistry (I'm a non-science grad) so I can apply to the European schools off the back of that, but I could finish A2 Chemistry next year and try RVC/Notts first...quite a hard decision to make as I just want to get started really! Will you be applying?

I thought about applying or RVC or Notts but they are so competitive and the cost of living on top of the tuition fees (in London much more so than Nottingham) is just too much. They also want science A-Levels (even for graduate entry) which I do not have.

I'm applying to Kosice for next year. The 4 year grad entry. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Jackal The
According to their website you don't actually need to have taken Biology/Chemistry at A-Level in order to get a place at SGGW or Kosice - Just pass the entrance exam. Is that true?

This is true for Kosice for the 6 year undergraduate program. However, you don't need to pass an entrance test if you are applying as a science graduate.
This is true for Kosice for the 6 year undergraduate program. However, you don't need to pass an entrance test if you are applying as a science graduate.

I think the same is true for SGGW. That said, vetmed is such a tough degree in the first place that unless you're comfortable thoroughly teaching yourself the material others would have covered upto the age of 18 then you may find it a struggle without having the alevels or at least the AS levels behind you. Personally I would particularly struggle having not done any practical science work for several years. I definitely think it's possible though - just wouldn't have worked for me!

Latest

Trending

Trending