The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by U.S Lecce
No they don't. All humans are homo sapiens sapiens, we are the exact same species. Ethnicity is a vastly complex thing which is not defined through skin colour alone. Infact all skin colour indicates is the amount of melanin in your skin. I suggest you read the links I posted in post #36.

well, your info is just not correct. race exists. example. new research proves that all non africans are part neanderthal.

http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics-neanderthal-110718.html
Original post by humanrights
humans are like all other species. breed exists.

I just thought I should pick up on this. Humans are not at all like other species from what we've so understood by studying other animals. For one, most animals have a relatively limited social bond to any form of community. It is quite loose and essentially determined by genetics. The human race is entirely different to this. Not only is 'the social brain' much more developed than any other animal, again, from what we've so far studied, but it is much more complex too. Ties to other members of our species are dependent, rightly or wrongly, on so much more than genetics. Breed does not exist in humans. Breed does not even really exist in dogs and would be in the same league as ethnicity for humans. It's an artificial creation meant to separate different types of the subspecies Canis Lupis Familiaris but biologically, it doesn't actually exist.
Celts, Angles, Saxons, Picts, Normans, Jutes, Norse. These are nations or civilisations. They were all white. They were all Caucasian. For all I know, I probably have ancestors which have belonged to each of these civilisations. These civilisations had their own beliefs and traditions so their appeal can be defined by culture.

The white British are Caucasian. But I don't really think of myself by my race. It's our culture and how we interact with each which defines us. However, a white person proud to be white should not be any more or less acceptable and pathetic than a black person being proud to be black. In my opinion, I dislike anyone who goes on about their race because I think it is pathetic and frankly boring.
What are english people? And what are welsh people?
Original post by calkin700
Are we Anglo Saxon ?
Roman ?
Celtic ?
Norman ?
Aryan/Nordic ?

Or is each race concentrated in different areas , like Cornwall , Norfolk etc who are different racially ?

anglo saxon, the scottish and the irish are mostly celtic.
Original post by humanrights
well, your info is just not correct. race exists. example. new research proves that all non africans are part neanderthal.

http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics-neanderthal-110718.html

Again, some interesting links here but don't think the debate is over. The issue of Neanderthal/Homo Sapien interbreeding/conflict/etc. has been going on for decades and although this paper might have found some evidence to lean one way, the website admits its own bias in the first few sentences:

Discovery News has been reporting on human/Neanderthal interbreeding for some time now, so this latest research confirms earlier findings.

A body with interest in the field will undoubtedly promote material that substantiates their view. That doesn't mean it won't turn out to be right eventually but for now, it's by no means even close to definitive or the final answer.

Conventional thinking suggests that Neanderthals were living in Europe long before modern man even managed to migrate northwards from Ethiopia. There are many things in the article itself which I question dubiously but overall, I would take this news with a pinch of salt before assuming it as gospel. For now, all we know is Neanderthals were largely extinct by the time modern man migrated into Europe.
Original post by hatemylife
Not sure about Cornish, but they had their own language, Cornish, up until the 18th Century when the last person who spoke it died.

:rofl: the last native speaker died only a few years ago and many people speak it as a second language.

They are also Celtic and a few seem to think that they are an independent nation :lolwut:
Original post by Snagprophet
Celts, Angles, Saxons, Picts, Normans, Jutes, Norse. These are nations or civilisations. They were all white. They were all Caucasian. For all I know, I probably have ancestors which have belonged to each of these civilisations. These civilisations had their own beliefs and traditions so their appeal can be defined by culture.

The white British are Caucasian. But I don't really think of myself by my race. It's our culture and how we interact with each which defines us. However, a white person proud to be white should not be any more or less acceptable and pathetic than a black person being proud to be black. In my opinion, I dislike anyone who goes on about their race because I think it is pathetic and frankly boring.

Just thought I'd let you know, Indians and people living in and around that subcontinent are also Caucasian but they're normally described as such. Using the racial classification of Caucasian though, Indians, Pakistanis etc fit the bill. :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by tehFrance
:rofl: the last native speaker died only a few years ago and many people speak it as a second language.

They are also Celtic and a few seem to think that they are an independent nation :lolwut:

To some degree it is.

Compare London to Cornwall, may as well be in a different country
Reply 49
finally, race is not skin colour

skin colour is skin colour (melanin or whatever )

race is genetics, dna, physical appearance, traits, ancestry, bloodline, etc.

race is far more important than 'skin colour', thought skin colour is a marker
I concider myself to be celtic. Live in western Scotland. All of my family that I have traced were from Scotland, apart from one great great great great irish granparent or something like that.
Are we Anglo Saxon ?
Roman ?
Celtic ?
Norman ?
Aryan/Nordic ?

Or is each race concentrated in different areas , like Cornwall , Norfolk etc who are different racially ?

The comments on here are completely wide of the mark.
The welsh are germanic and were later mixed with the romans. England is the same except they ALSO later were colonized and mixed with the viking people who came and invaded from norway and sweden
they only colonized england and not wales. They also were the ones who gave is the name britain.the name britain is originally a viking name for our island. This is also why we are divided up into england,wales,and scotland.
Scotland is the only area that was never colonized by vikings or romans.
the people of west central scotland and northern ireland are a completely different breed.the scottish are descended from the picts.who were never taken by romans or vikings. And therefore are more pure.
They later moved to and colonized the area that is now northern ireland.
(This is part of the reason why there is such close links to this day between the troubles there and glasgow. And why do many say that northern ireland is ours. Because the people in that region share more genetic links with us than main ireland.Its not just mindless sectarianism like the media would have you believe.)all of us in britain originally came through germany and europe from arya(this is why the nazis used to talk about the aryan race they meant pure white like we were when we originally came from arya)arya is the area in southern russia and northern kahzakstan

I'm afraid that's largely incorrect. Race has nothing to do with physical appearance, traits, ancestry, bloodline. These, again, are all to do with ethnicity. Genetics and DNA, in the sense I believe you're talking about them, also occupy the same sphere. At their base, humans share an incredibly large percentage of genetic material (I mean close to 100%). Any other changes outside of this are ethnic. Humans are classified:

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata (Vertebrates)

Class: Mammalia

Order: Primates

Family: Hominidae (Gorillas/Humans/Chimpanzees)

Tribe: Hominini (Humans/Chimpanzee)

Genus: Homo (Neanderthalis/Australopithecus/Heidelbergensis/Gautengensis/Sapiens)

Species: Homo Sapiens Sapiens
There are multiple different backgrounds to many British people - the only way you can really find out is through Genealogy.

I'm from Norfolk, which is part of East Anglia - which, after three centuries of Roman occupation, was once it's own Anglo-Saxon country (The Kingdom of the East Angles!), who were originally a Germanic people. Within Norfolk, I'm also from Norwich, which has a heavy influence from the Normans, and in the 16th Century a significant number of the people living in Norwich were French immigrants - which is the probable origin of our Surname. Then on my mothers side of the family we traced our ancestry back to the Scottish Clan Campbell, So we have a Celtic influence too.

If you did neg rep me, I would appreciate that you would also respond to my post as well so I can see where you're coming from as well. If not, I'll delete the post in due course.
Reply 55
Original post by ANARCHY__
I'm afraid that's largely incorrect. Race has nothing to do with physical appearance, traits, ancestry, bloodline. These, again, are all to do with ethnicity. Genetics and DNA, in the sense I believe you're talking about them, also occupy the same sphere. At their base, humans share an incredibly large percentage of genetic material (I mean close to 100%). Any other changes outside of this are ethnic. Humans are classified:

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata (Vertebrates)

Class: Mammalia

Order: Primates

Family: Hominidae (Gorillas/Humans/Chimpanzees)

Tribe: Hominini (Humans/Chimpanzee)

Genus: Homo (Neanderthalis/Australopithecus/Heidelbergensis/Gautengensis/Sapiens)

Species: Homo Sapiens Sapiens

yes, I'm confusing race and ethnicity as the same thing.

However you understood what I meant anyway, so thanks
yes, I'm confusing race and ethnicity as the same thing.

However you understood what I meant anyway, so thanks

To be honest, I wouldn't have gone to the bother of writing it if I thought you did know. A lot of people genuinely don't know the difference although in my defence, I did answer your question the first time I quoted you in any case. I don't understand the reason for the sarcasm in the post I'm quoting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Stephen857
The comments on here are completely wide of the mark.
The welsh are germanic and were later mixed with the romans. England is the same except they ALSO later were colonized and mixed with the viking people who came and invaded from norway and sweden
they only colonized england and not wales. They also were the ones who gave is the name britain.the name britain is originally a viking name for our island. This is also why we are divided up into england,wales,and scotland.
Scotland is the only area that was never colonized by vikings or romans.
the people of west central scotland and northern ireland are a completely different breed.the scottish are descended from the picts.who were never taken by romans or vikings. And therefore are more pure.
They later moved to and colonized the area that is now northern ireland.
(This is part of the reason why there is such close links to this day between the troubles there and glasgow. And why do many say that northern ireland is ours. Because the people in that region share more genetic links with us than main ireland.Its not just mindless sectarianism like the media would have you believe.)all of us in britain originally came through germany and europe from arya(this is why the nazis used to talk about the aryan race they meant pure white like we were when we originally came from arya)arya is the area in southern russia and northern kahzakstan

agreed

i always thought Scots were a pure master race just from my instincts of them

Many of them have a great, attractive strong thick accent, and the men are usually 6ft with strong jawlines and well built physically
Reply 58

race is genetics, dna... ancesty

Give us an example of any present day race.
But only define it in terms of genetics and DNA.
Don't mention melanin levels or culture (which is a completely different thing.)
Reply 59
Original post by ANARCHY__
To be honest, I wouldn't have gone to the bother of writing it if I thought you did know. A lot of people genuinely don't know the difference although in my defence, I did answer your question the first time I quoted you in any case. I don't understand the reason for the sarcasm in the post I'm quoting.

since you knew what I was getting at, obviously it is common for people to confuse the two of them

i thought race - implied how you evolved, your genetics, and your blood

ethnicity implies the above, and the culture, religion, accent too ?

Latest

Trending

Trending