The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Gym quiet time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
meh, doesn't sound very good... How close is the nearest Esporta? I have a membership with them, so I might just continue it if I end up at Bristol
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
Original post by .Theory
meh, doesn't sound very good... How close is the nearest Esporta? I have a membership with them, so I might just continue it if I end up at Bristol

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=esporta+bristol
Hi everyone,

Im a postgrad and I have been using this gym for over a year now. I generally tend to arrive in the morning anywhere between 8-9:30 and often find myself on my own in the freeweights room. If I cant mange this i will go at 8:45pm as I find this is usually the second quietest time. I avoid the weights area like a plague between 5 and 8pm.

HOWEVER, as it is new year it will probably be much busier than normal for the next few weeks. It was last year.

Original post by Zorg
For what it's worth you can get a pass that allows you to use the Coombe Dingle gym over Christmas. Not sure if the no working out on your own still applies but worth a shot.
For those not in the know the Coombe Dingle gym is epic compared to the campus one. I think all the broken and old equipment from Coombe Dingle was passed on to the campus gym.
Now if anyone is going and passes Kingsdown with a car, give me a shout :p:

Zorg, can anyone use the olympic weightlifting room at coombe dingle? i've been thinking about this for a while as i get sick of waiting for the lone squat rack and just generally get pissed off by people double teaming the bench press day in day out. do they have training sessions there? if you have any info it would be appreciated.
Reply 23
Original post by IwastheTurkey

Zorg, can anyone use the olympic weightlifting room at coombe dingle? i've been thinking about this for a while as i get sick of waiting for the lone squat rack and just generally get pissed off by people double teaming the bench press day in day out. do they have training sessions there? if you have any info it would be appreciated.

Yup anyone can. You do however need to pay £60 induction, this also covers their insurance and stuff I guess. I think the American Football team also have their training in there. But it doesn't make as much difference as so few people use it.
There aren't any guarded squat racks, just the free standing ones. Move them to the lifting platforms and you can dump them if needs be. There are also locks that work <3
Me and a friend always double team the squat rack :biggrin:
Cheers Zorg, any idea who i would contact about the induction?
Unguarded squats sound scary as I workout alone. Are there any people who use it for olympic/power lifting?

I have no problem with you double teaming the squat rack. It's one guy benching, one guy rowing with the same bar that annoys me.
Reply 25

Thanks... I was more looking for transport from a student perspective since I've never been to Bristol. Is it much of a hassle to get there? In terms of transport costs, time, etc.

Also, the Coombe Dingle gym, why doesn't everybody train there? If it's so much better for just £60, I might just go there if I go Bristol.

One more thing... Where does the athletics club train? How hard is it to get to the nearest track?
Reply 26
Original post by IwastheTurkey
Cheers Zorg, any idea who i would contact about the induction?
Unguarded squats sound scary as I workout alone. Are there any people who use it for olympic/power lifting?

I have no problem with you double teaming the squat rack. It's one guy benching, one guy rowing with the same bar that annoys me.

Haha, you need to man up :biggrin:

I should've mentioned, you're not allowed to work out on your own at the Coombe Dingle gym. Saftey reasons. If you do find your self stuck squatting on the free standing racks though, at the bottom of your squat just drop the barbell. You'll look like a douche but as long as you are on the platform no one will really mind.

Original post by .Theory
Thanks... I was more looking for transport from a student perspective since I've never been to Bristol. Is it much of a hassle to get there? In terms of transport costs, time, etc.

Also, the Coombe Dingle gym, why doesn't everybody train there? If it's so much better for just £60, I might just go there if I go Bristol.

One more thing... Where does the athletics club train? How hard is it to get to the nearest track?

It's miles away mate. Don't bother with Esporta. Really expensive as well...
Not everyone knows about Coombe Dingle and unless you live in Stokey B you're going to want to drive there. It's £60 on top of the gym membership as well...

No idea about the athletics club, I think they train at Coombe Dingle. I think there's also a track there...check out the uni's site.
Original post by Zorg
Haha, you need to man up :biggrin:

I should've mentioned, you're not allowed to work out on your own at the Coombe Dingle gym. Saftey reasons. If you do find your self stuck squatting on the free standing racks though, at the bottom of your squat just drop the barbell. You'll look like a douche but as long as you are on the platform no one will really mind.

Balls, that means I'll have to find someone to drag along with me. Who do I see about the induction?

one day i'll be a real man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwmWaYTgK4
Reply 28
Ok this will sound a bit odd, but this seemed to be the best thread with regards to information on the gym. Basically, I'm going into 2nd year at Bristol uni but never set foot in the gym once last year apart from to play 5-a-side which I paid £5 for as I was a guest :s-smilie:. So I don't have a gym pass, I will probably get a 1/2 year gym pass this September.

I am going to be needing to use the free weights section 3 times a week, I understand from reading this that the facilities are rather pathetic at the gym so was wondering if I went between 7-8am, would I be able to do my workout which should only last about 40mins in relative peace? If not, I am seriously considering private 24 hour gyms such as http://www.thegymgroup.com/gyms/bristol/ .

Thanks.
Original post by LZRSWRD
Ok this will sound a bit odd, but this seemed to be the best thread with regards to information on the gym. Basically, I'm going into 2nd year at Bristol uni but never set foot in the gym once last year apart from to play 5-a-side which I paid £5 for as I was a guest :s-smilie:. So I don't have a gym pass, I will probably get a 1/2 year gym pass this September.

I am going to be needing to use the free weights section 3 times a week, I understand from reading this that the facilities are rather pathetic at the gym so was wondering if I went between 7-8am, would I be able to do my workout which should only last about 40mins in relative peace? If not, I am seriously considering private 24 hour gyms such as http://www.thegymgroup.com/gyms/bristol/ .

Thanks.

24 hour gym? I've never seen one of those, sweet! I will sign up to this one rather than the main bristol one :biggrin:
Reply 30
There's really no need to go between 7-8 am to do a decent workout, everyone else manages fine in the regular times and besides I've been there at 7-8 am in the weights room and there's still some people in there.

The best time to use the weights room is between about 10am and 2pm when most people are at lectures or seminars and then after about 8pm at night it quietens down again, although it depends on the night with Friday and Saturday being very good but Sunday night being very busy.

Overall, it's a decent gym and although you do have to wait sometimes to use various bits of equipment at the end of the day it certainly isn't bad enough to ruin your workout.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending