The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

'white british' is too big a category - it can include parts of most of europe and north africa in their genes.

'indigenous' british would refer to the tribes that moves into the uk from southern spain - basque areas during the ice age. Since then all the various invasions and immigration have mixed that genetic stock with roman, gallic, scandanavian, french, saxon, flemmish and turkish

ps 'Aryan' doesnt refer to Nordic races, it refers to ancient North Indian civilisation
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Poe42
Give us an example of any present day race.
But only define it in terms of genetics and DNA.
Don't mention melanin levels or culture (which is a completely different thing.)

this post makes no sense
Original post by calkin700
since you knew what I was getting at, obviously it is common for people to confuse the two of them

i thought race - implied how you evolved, your genetics, and your blood

ethnicity implies the above, and the culture, religion, accent too ?

I see what you're saying. Race is really more to do with something I guess you'd say is a base to work from. Like a template. That's what I was trying to illustrate in listing the complete classification of homo sapiens but I'm sorry if it came across as condescending. Ethnicity is basically all of those things you describe. Humans, as whole, are completely the same racially (in the biologically sense anyway) and any differences that you get physically are usually to do with the environment. Inuits, for example, have huge chests because they need more oxygen intake in a cold environment. Many East Africans are tall and thin because, historically, its easier to hunt on the savannah that way. Genetics, again, are pretty much the same and vary environment to environment but even this is pretty limited.

England as a whole has a pretty rich ethnic history mainly because we've had so many people immigrate here.
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
'white british' is too big a category - ie can include parts of most of europe and north africa in their genes.

'indigenous' british would refer to the tribes that moves into the uk from southern spain - basque areas during the ice age. Since then all the various invasions and immigration have mixed that genetic stock with roman, gallic, scandanavian, french, saxon, flemmish and turkish

I don't think the Basque people have much relation to anybody in Europe do they? Their language is entirely different to anything else around them as well as their culture/cuisine etc.
Original post by ANARCHY__
I don't think the Basque people have much relation to anybody in Europe do they? Their language is entirely different to anything else around them as well as their culture/cuisine etc.

It has already been scientifically proven that the original inhabitants of britain came from Basque region of spain. im amazed so few people in this country actually know that.
of course the cultures will be different, boths cultures evolved in isolation from each other for thousands of years hundreds of miles apart.
agreed

i always thought Scots were a pure master race just from my instincts of them

Many of them have a great, attractive strong thick accent, and the men are usually 6ft with strong jawlines and well built physically

Not sure if sarcasm... Most of the men in Glasgow are below UK average height.
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
It has already been scientifically proven that the original inhabitants of britain came from Basque region of spain. im amazed so few people in this country actually know that.
of course the cultures will be different, boths cultures evolved in isolation from each other for thousands of years hundreds of miles apart.

Really? Well, this is news to me. I didn't know that. Whenever you look at language classification maps, the Basque region is always isolated from the rest of Europe. Would you mind providing me with a source to read more about this?
Reply 67
Original post by notastudent
Not sure if sarcasm... Most of the men in Glasgow are below UK average height.

Look at the Scottish army, they do have a great look about them
Reply 68
Really? Well, this is news to me. I didn't know that. Whenever you look at language classification maps, the Basque region is always isolated from the rest of Europe. Would you mind providing me with a source to read more about this?

he's right

I didn't know it either but after googling i found this

''the genetic record indicates the British and Irish broadly share a closest common ancestry with the Basque people who live in the Basque Country by the Pyrenees.

the majority of the people of the British Isles share genetic commonalities with the Basques, ranging from highs of 90% in Wales to lows of 66% in East Anglia. ''

So brits are basque ? wow
(edited 12 years ago)
agreed

i always thought Scots were a pure master race just from my instincts of them

Many of them have a great, attractive strong thick accent, and the men are usually 6ft with strong jawlines and well built physically

haha.
Big man your now officially my new best friend on this site. ..haha.
the men here might be pure alpha but it's levelled out by the fact that our woman folk are terrible.fat,ugly, fake tanned, ORANGE! ?!!and most importantly frigid.

Um six foot two 15 and a half stone,dark hair, six pack(ish).abd a oaet tume cage fighter. And I tell you what some some of the toughest fights I've ever had involves trying to persuade our nun like frigid burds to give this beast a feed(if you know what I mean).

i reallly havent the energy to post all the reaserch, but you can take my word for it
, its been clarified by dna mapping about about 5 years ago i think

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23367572-ancient-britons-come-mainly-from-spain.do
Reply 71
Original post by U.S Lecce
Homo sapiens sapiens :ahee:

*Waits for the neg* :ninja:

Spoiler

Huzzah for Science!
Reply 72
English = a mixture of Anglo-Saxons, Scandanavians and Normans in that order. In essence 'Germanic', a point to note is that the Anglo-Saxons and Scandanavians are very closely related in terms of ethnicity.
Scottish = Lowlanders are pretty much the same as the English, Highlanders are Celtic.
Wales and Cornwall = Celtic, the remenants of the original Romano-British inhabitants of Britain.
Northern Irish = a mixed bag of Celtic Irish and English and Scottish immigrants.

The historical record, place names and the language we speak now all heavily suggest that the Anglo-Saxons emmigrated here en masse and displaced the native Britons and pushed them into Cornwall and Wales where they managed to cling on. Recent DNA surveys including one by Oxford University have largely backed up this idea.

There is the Oppenheimer theory that the people of Britain are largely unchanged since the Ice Age and descend from a Basque population but this is highly contested. It doesn't match the historio-social evidence we have nor the linguistic evidence. A number of DNA surveys have produced results rejecting it aswell. However there are some people that still believe it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tehFrance
:rofl: the last native speaker died only a few years ago and many people speak it as a second language.

They are also Celtic and a few seem to think that they are an independent nation :lolwut:

*Last person who spoke it and only spoke Cornish.
Reply 74
Original post by WharfedaleTiger
We're caucasian-same as a hell of a lot of other people. Its all too mixed up to try and specificy anything else.

Look at me-I'd say I'm a fairly average white Brition and yet:

My grandpa's side can be trace back to Normandy pre-1066 (he came over in the conquest)
My grandma can be taken back to France in the 1600's
My Grandad roots are in Italy in the 1800's
My Grandma's grandmother is chinese.

I also have Irish, Scottish, American DNA along with a fair helping on Chinese, British and French. What am I?

The answer is, of course, British just like everyone else who is born here no matter what their ethnic background is.

If you looked hard enough, almost everyone (well, white British people) could be traced back to pre-1066 Normandy. It was so many generations ago that it's overwhelmingly likely that nearly all white people in Britain are descended from nearly everyone who was alive back then. I'm guessing in your case, your grandpa can be traced back to then through his paternal line, in other words his surname.

My Grandma's maiden name also came from France in the 1600s. From the Hugenots presumably.
Reply 75
Most people whose families have lived in Britain for more than a few hundred years will be largely a mixture of saxon and norman. If you have scottish or irish ancestry then you will have celtic in there aswell. It is also likely that you have some anomalies in there, such as east asian or african, thanks to some of your ancestors 'exploits'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Psyk
If you looked hard enough, almost everyone (well, white British people) could be traced back to pre-1066 Normandy. It was so many generations ago that it's overwhelmingly likely that nearly all white people in Britain are descended from nearly everyone who was alive back then. I'm guessing in your case, your grandpa can be traced back to then through his paternal line, in other words his surname.

My Grandma's maiden name also came from France in the 1600s. From the Hugenots presumably.

Thats straight male line though (until, alas, my grandpa who had 3 girls)-myself and my grandpa did a hell of a lot of research into this one. Sir Thomas de Beaulieu came over with William the Conquorer and presumably fought at Hastings, though we have no actual record of him being there. He was, however, registered as having been granted lands in the Northumbria with his elder brother being granted lands in Lincolnshire. We can then trace the line right through as the family gradually become more minor until my grandpas parents where mining in North Nottinghamshire.

We assume the same about my grandma as well but I haven't got round to sorting out a family tree yet...

Alas they're technically not mine...
(edited 12 years ago)
Are we Anglo Saxon ?
Roman ?
Celtic ?
Norman ?
Aryan/Nordic ?

Or is each race concentrated in different areas , like Cornwall , Norfolk etc who are different racially ?

A lot of them are mixed due to constant invasions in the past.
Reply 78
it my area they are Irish
Reply 79
we're all just a big bunch of mongrels.

Latest

Trending

Trending