The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
I was going through a list of films meant to be/possibly out this year, and I have to say I'm very excited about several of them:

- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Tomas Alfredson; Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong,
- Shame: Steve McQueen; Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan
- Carnage: Roman Polanski; Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly
- A Dangerous Method: David Cronenberg; Viggo Mortensen, Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: David Fincher; Rooney Mara, Daniel Craig
- Wuthering Heights: Andrea Arnold

Plus, several already-released films I'm looking forward to seeing, like Tree of Life and Like Crazy.

It's going to be a good year. :biggrin:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; Wuthering Heights; Jane Eyre; Tree of Life (haven't watched yet)

really look forward to them:rolleyes:

Original post by zjs
I'm quite looking forward to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

You've got to be kidding :colonhash:

It looks dire! Though I guess I'm only judging it without any sort of knowledge of its narrative - still it looks ridiculous!

Quick question wrt this: would it likely be necessary to have watched Planet of the Apes in order to understand/enjoy the new one? I haven't watched either of the previous PotA's.

Providing you know the basic premise:

Spoiler

Then I wouldn't have thought it would be too necessary, although you may want to try and watch the 1968 film for completeness and because it's pretty interesting.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
What did you think of the ending?

I like it how it left you guessing. I checked out a clip of the original ending and as much as the contrast between it and the rest of the film was kind of cool in a way, it just didn't seem to fit the mood at all.

I've never been a massive Ridley Scott fan. I have seen a lot of his films, and as much as most of them are good films, none of them really stick out for me. So encouraged by my Blade Runner experience, I thought I'd check out Alien as well. And made the mistake of watching it in broad day light when the sun was shining. :facepalm: It was still pretty awesome, but just one of those films that definitely need to be watched with the lights out to get the full effect.
(edited 12 years ago)
Am I the only one who thinks there is no ambiguity whatsoever left in Blade Runner if you watch the Director's or Final Cut?
Original post by Phalanges
Am I the only one who thinks there is no ambiguity whatsoever left in Blade Runner if you watch the Director's or Final Cut?

Well to me there is still one tiny ambiguity - whether or not the person who's watching actually understands what's put in front of them :wink:
Original post by cadaeibfeceh

Well to me there is still one tiny ambiguity - whether or not the person who's watching actually understands what's put in front of them :wink:

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying...
Original post by zjs
I'm quite looking forward to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Same, the trailer looks great

Original post by Jace Falco
I'm really not. The concept is ridiculous.

xD well you are right, as is the concept for the entire planet of the apes Franchise arguably. But hey that's sci-fi for ya
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Same, the trailer looks great

xD well you are right, as is the concept for the entire planet of the apes Franchise arguably. But hey that's sci-fi for ya

No, not really. Sci-fi does not have to be ridiculous. It can be clever and compelling - Blade Runner, The Matrix, Half Life 2, Alien, Fallout. I think Rise of the Apes just looks dumb. "We're making a cure for brain damage and testing it on apes. OH COOL it makes them super smart. OH NO they have all escaped and are attacking people for some reason? Let's kill them :yy:"
Reply 3609

I've only watched the Final Cut, but I did think there was a sense of moral ambiguity about it (from what I understand, the original also leaves a sense of intellectual ambiguity about reality). Quite a bit like Moon: I thought it was mostly explained in the end, but there was still some ambiguity brought about by

Spoiler

Reply 3610
Just finished watching The Thin Red Line for the first time, really good film but thought I'd enjoy it more than I did. It's a shame it was released in the same year as Saving Private Ryan, because it might have got more exposure if it hadn't. Soundtrack was awesome, Hans Zimmer never fails to impress.

And on composers, what do you guys think of Craig Armstrong? I was hearing some of his stuff last night, he's decent.
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying...

I mean there's only ambiguity if the person doesn't fully understand the movie lol
Reply 3612
Original post by Jace Falco
No, not really. Sci-fi does not have to be ridiculous. It can be clever and compelling - Blade Runner, The Matrix, Half Life 2, Alien, Fallout. I think Rise of the Apes just looks dumb. "We're making a cure for brain damage and testing it on apes. OH COOL it makes them super smart. OH NO they have all escaped and are attacking people for some reason? Let's kill them :yy:"

It's not as ridiculous as you're making out. :colonhash:

Deep Blue Sea is a ridiculous treatment of a similar concept, as it involves making sharks incredibly intelligent. Sharks. Deliberately. And, for no apparent reason, doing the research in a remote ocean facility, i.e. In the sharks' territory.

If you're aiming to cure something, testing on apes is often routine procedure. It is unlikely you'd think they'd become super-intelligent. The fact they have shows how easily they can escape, but if you can't predict that then it's less ridiculous. Admittedly, the 'let's kill them' mentality is a bit o.t.t, but it's the mentality of every human in a sci-fi film with potentially dangerous creatures.

I'm looking forward to it as I really liked the original Planet of the Apes. The whole 'role reversal' of who's in control has also been influential in Sci-fi, from Dr Who to The Matrix. It might turn out as a relatively brainless action fest, but I'm interested to see how we moved from our planet to the society of PotA.
Reply 3613
Been looking at a few movies to watch again saying as i'm bored these holidays; i have hall pass and 127 hours for tonight

Anyone say whether number 4, seven pounds or anuva hood or whatever its called is worth a watch?
Reply 3614
Just watched Whip It. It was good fun. :smile:
Reply 3615
Original post by Pi!
Just watched Whip It. It was good fun. :smile:

Bloody love that film! And a good directorial debut from Drew Barrymore too. :rolleyes:
I've only watched the Final Cut, but I did think there was a sense of moral ambiguity about it (from what I understand, the original also leaves a sense of intellectual ambiguity about reality). Quite a bit like Moon: I thought it was mostly explained in the end, but there was still some ambiguity brought about by

Spoiler

That's not really an ambiguity though, that's just the film raising deeper questions. The original ambiguity was

Spoiler

I mean there's only ambiguity if the person doesn't fully understand the movie lol

Oh I see. :p:
Reply 3617
That's not really an ambiguity though, that's just the film raising deeper questions. The original ambiguity was

Spoiler

Oh I see. :p:

I suppose I'll have to find and watch the other versions before I can comment (or read your spoiler :p:).

On a different note, I was looking for the trailers of some of the movies I posted in an earlier thread, and could only find this one:

Also, Attack the Block is getting some very good reviews. I hadn't heard of it before. :beard:
Reply 3618
Original post by aja89
Bloody love that film! And a good directorial debut from Drew Barrymore too. :rolleyes:

Because of that film my sister made me go out rollerskating with her this morning. I fell over 4 times. :colonhash:
Reply 3619
Watched Spartan the other day. It's a good flick to watch if your bored, it's a well made and intelligent thriller. The performances were okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending