The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DDSB
Ah ok- I hope for a 'conditional' offer then. I just assumed 'successful' since all I have seen is unseuccessful:s-smilie:
Sorry- i'll update my profile tomorrow so there is no confusion and I didn't notice the symbols:wink: :colone:
Do you have to check through all the medicine threads then as you're a moderator?
Have you sorted out accommodation and stuff yet? I'm guessing the accommodation in London is pretty expensive. :cool:

Did you not apply for a 5th choice this year? :h:
It's alright, no rush :nah:
But I will probably forget you're female otherwise :mmm:
Well I don't have to. But I like to help so I tend to check things through, even if it's just skim reading them. Also not many people are reporting the rule breaking posts atm so it's a case of reading them all atm :erm:

Well I've applied for my accommodation a while back and should hopefully hear back about it this month so could be today :crossedf:
But BATL isn't too expensive really, my first choice room is a medium sized self catered in Barbican which is priced between £100-£105 per week :yep:
Some London accommodation is really quite pricey though :erm:
Original post by DDSB
Ah ok- I hope for a 'conditional' offer then. I just assumed 'successful' since all I have seen is unseuccessful:s-smilie:
Sorry- i'll update my profile tomorrow so there is no confusion and I didn't notice the symbols:wink: :colone:
Do you have to check through all the medicine threads then as you're a moderator?
Have you sorted out accommodation and stuff yet? I'm guessing the accommodation in London is pretty expensive. :cool:

Well if you want to lift your spirits, you could view the decision letter and change AS4 to AS3 on the address bar.
Reply 2742
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Did you not apply for a 5th choice this year? :h:
It's alright, no rush :nah:
But I will probably forget you're female otherwise :mmm:
Well I don't have to. But I like to help so I tend to check things through, even if it's just skim reading them. Also not many people are reporting the rule breaking posts atm so it's a case of reading them all atm :erm:

Well I've applied for my accommodation a while back and should hopefully hear back about it this month so could be today :crossedf:
But BATL isn't too expensive really, my first choice room is a medium sized self catered in Barbican which is priced between £100-£105 per week :yep:
Some London accommodation is really quite pricey though :erm:

No- didn't apply for a fifth choice as if I didn't get any offers I was going to take year out, although this time round I'm definitely going to apply for other courses aswell as medicine.
Cool:cool: Hopefully you'll get the accommodation then :redface:
That's not too bad- Some of my friends that are going to uni's that aren't in London are a lot more than that!!
Not loking forward to getting all the ukcat stuff out again:angry:
How did you prepare for it- Which book(s) did you use?
Sorry for repeatedly questioning you:confused:!!
Reply 2743
Hi all
im a reapplicant sadly, got 4 rejections, 1 interview....
i was wondering, how much work experience would you consider is enough?
i currently have:

6 months at Age UK
1 day with pharmaceutical sales rep
1 day surgery at chiropodists
3 weeks at a dentists
will be starting to shadow a radiographer as of wednesday
will be shadowing a cardiac surgeon in november
isit worth me trying to get some experience at a GP or Pharmacy?...im really struggling to find one that would take me, and now im thinking is there really any point as i should be worrying about my UKCAT and PS....

and another thing...how do you make a spoiler that appears under every post you make?...

thanks! (please quote me so i see it and can rep you :biggrin:)
Reply 2744
Original post by praj1
Hi all
im a reapplicant sadly, got 4 rejections, 1 interview....
i was wondering, how much work experience would you consider is enough?
i currently have:

6 months at Age UK
1 day with pharmaceutical sales rep
1 day surgery at chiropodists
3 weeks at a dentists
will be starting to shadow a radiographer as of wednesday
will be shadowing a cardiac surgeon in november
isit worth me trying to get some experience at a GP or Pharmacy?...im really struggling to find one that would take me, and now im thinking is there really any point as i should be worrying about my UKCAT and PS....

and another thing...how do you make a spoiler that appears under every post you make?...

thanks! (please quote me so i see it and can rep you :biggrin:)

If I were you, I'd try and get one of the hospital run programs - I've done one of the work experience weeks that they offer, and volunteered on the wards, which I found was invaluable experience.

As I'm sure you've heard before, its not quantity of work experience that matters, its the quality. Just out of interest, what did you put in your personal statement about your dentist work experience? I wouldn't bother with a pharmacy, especially sinceyou have something with someone who works in pharmacy already - you'd be better off trying to get something with a doctor before you send off your next UCAS. And just a point, worrying about your PS means worrying about getting work experience - without work experience, there's nothing to write!

What did feedback from your universities tell you? If you haven't got this already, its essential!

Ohh, and the spoiler- do you mean a signature? If so, thats in the settings I think, up on the blue bar by your name :smile:
Reply 2745
Original post by twelve
If I were you, I'd try and get one of the hospital run programs - I've done one of the work experience weeks that they offer, and volunteered on the wards, which I found was invaluable experience.

As I'm sure you've heard before, its not quantity of work experience that matters, its the quality. Just out of interest, what did you put in your personal statement about your dentist work experience? I wouldn't bother with a pharmacy, especially sinceyou have something with someone who works in pharmacy already - you'd be better off trying to get something with a doctor before you send off your next UCAS. And just a point, worrying about your PS means worrying about getting work experience - without work experience, there's nothing to write!

What did feedback from your universities tell you? If you haven't got this already, its essential!

Ohh, and the spoiler- do you mean a signature? If so, thats in the settings I think, up on the blue bar by your name :smile:

ok cool thanks!....
i didnt have the dentists work exp last year, but i really think alot of it can be related to medicine, i mean the dentist i shadowed had really good bedside manner, made sure the patients trusted her... i saw alot of surgery and thats in a way made me more appreciative of how difficult working in healthcare is and how knowledgeable, but at the same time confident enough to trust your gut instinct, you must be...
Well my interview from st georges feedback was that there were other better candidates...
kings thought my ukcat was too low (it was 590)
imperial said they wanted a more consistent BMAT (5.8 3.8 4B)
and UKCAT buggered me at Barts...

but i think my grades were too low at AS (ABBCC) and i didnt have ALOT of work exp...which didnt help the cause, but im much more confident about things this time round....i think
Reply 2746
how did all your UKCATS go
Hello reapplicants! Just wanted to drop by on this thread quickly to wish you all the best of luck- you've all made the decision to try again for a course you love, and for that I hope things go a lot better second time around (as they nearly always tend to do). I was in the exact situation two years back, so I know what you must going through. PM/quote me if you have any questions about reapplying or medicine in general and I'll try and get back to you :P Good luck and remember to keep your chins up...I don't exaggerate when I say reapplicants tend to have much higher success rates, and with a bit more preparation this time around you should all be landing UCAS offers soon enough.
This thread has died :O
Reply 2749
ill give it 3 weeks then this place will liven up :biggrin:...
Original post by praj1
ill give it 3 weeks then this place will liven up :biggrin:...

Coinciding that with results days perchance? :awesome:

This is indeed the quiet patch.... you'll miss it when it's gone :erm:
Reply 2751
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Coinciding that with results days perchance? :awesome:

This is indeed the quiet patch.... you'll miss it when it's gone :erm:

It is quite nice not having to catch up with 5 pages when I've been out for the day
Reply 2752
Original post by tiggix
Okay, so here's a question...
The University of Glamorgan and Cardiff university offer this 'widening access' scheme - if you do a bsc hons degree in medical sciences at Glamorgan uni, they select 'up to ten' students in the second year, who, if they achieve a 1st or a 2:1 at the end, and fulfil Cardiff admissions criteria, can be moved onto the Cardiff medical course, starting from the second year.
There are places for this Medical Sciences degree at Glamorgan on UCAS Extra... should I apply?! Or stick with the 'take a gap year and reapply' plan?

hey im in glamorgan going into 3rd year now, u should consider it. its a great course, the course is small and hard to get into, once ur in u have to compete for a place. 10/12 out of 18/19 student. fair chance.:wink:
Where are you guys applying to? I'm not really a re-applicant but I'm on my gap year now applying to UK (international applicant who got rejected locally for med :frown: ) and I'm applying to Aberdeen, Leicester, Newcastle and Nottingham. Is that a wise move? :/
Reply 2754
Original post by Metastasis
Where are you guys applying to? I'm not really a re-applicant but I'm on my gap year now applying to UK (international applicant who got rejected locally for med :frown: ) and I'm applying to Aberdeen, Leicester, Newcastle and Nottingham. Is that a wise move? :/

Depends on your grades and preferences right? :s-smilie:
Original post by Vulpes

Original post by Vulpes
Depends on your grades and preferences right? :s-smilie:

I've got 732.5 as UKCAT average and my grades are AAAB (I'm from Singapore).
Reply 2756
I've got 732.5 as UKCAT average and my grades are AAAB (I'm from Singapore).

Not applying to NUS? (I got rejected lol) :confused:

ANYWAYS. You passed all the requirements for those universities so I don't see why not. You can check out my program (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208) to see which other universities you are eligible to apply for. :smile:

(Your UKCAT score and grades are really good!)
Original post by Vulpes

Original post by Vulpes
Not applying to NUS? (I got rejected lol) :confused:

ANYWAYS. You passed all the requirements for those universities so I don't see why not. You can check out my program (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208) to see which other universities you are eligible to apply for. :smile:

(Your UKCAT score and grades are really good!)

I got rejected too... LOL. Are you from Hong Kong? Cause I heard very few international students get accepted to NUS med :frown: And yup I already did use your amazing programme (thanks!) but I realised that for Nottingham they look at GCSEs too but I don't have that as I'm from the Integrated Programme in Singapore which skips the O levels... So I'm really confused. Have emailed the uni though.
Reply 2758
I got rejected too... LOL. Are you from Hong Kong? Cause I heard very few international students get accepted to NUS med :frown: And yup I already did use your amazing programme (thanks!) but I realised that for Nottingham they look at GCSEs too but I don't have that as I'm from the Integrated Programme in Singapore which skips the O levels... So I'm really confused. Have emailed the uni though.

Yea I'm from Hong Kong. I really like the NUS electives tho... Heard a student did "Around the world sailing as a team medic" for their final year elective.

My local applications have been pending for like months now... Probably a rejection but they're still waiting for my results to come out =/ HKU is asking for A*A*A* with modules above 95%...

I got a CUHK offer which was A*A*AA. When I saw the letter I was just like ":colone: Yeaaa... Not going to happen."
Original post by Vulpes

Original post by Vulpes
Yea I'm from Hong Kong. I really like the NUS electives tho... Heard a student did "Around the world sailing as a team medic" for their final year elective.

My local applications have been pending for like months now... Probably a rejection but they're still waiting for my results to come out =/ HKU is asking for A*A*A* with modules above 95%...

I got a CUHK offer which was A*A*AA. When I saw the letter I was just like ":colone: Yeaaa... Not going to happen."

How do you do that O_0 the grades are really crazy! I heard like only 1-2 international applicants got accepted in HK universities =/ And I didn't really hear of that elective before! I just know that in NUS the stuff they learn are so much more compared to the other schools, it's really the style and way of learning Singapore students have done for the past 12 years... (which is pretty crazy compared to other countries, imo)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending