The Student Room Group

Recruitment agencies asking for copy of your passport

Anyone experienced this yet? And did you happily oblige their request? I'm not talking about dodgy advertisers askng for a copy of your passport, but rather, genuine long established recruitment agencies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, and yes. I did.

Reply 2
Not quite sure about recruiters, however if you do get a job you'll need to give your employer a copy as they are legally required to have a record of your entitlement to work in the UK.
Reply 3
Yes I did comply - it's a legal requirement so if you want work you're going to have to do it! What do you think they are going to do with a photocopy of your passport?
Original post by Blupper
Anyone experienced this yet? And did you happily oblige their request? I'm not talking about dodgy advertisers askng for a copy of your passport, but rather, genuine long established recruitment agencies.

As people have already mentioned, it's a legal requirement that they they see evidence and keep a record of that evidence that you have the right to work in the UK. Seeing and photocopying your passport is the easiest way if you are a UK citizen. The agencies that don't ask for that are the dodgy ones you need to keep away from.
I am currently work as an admin in a recruitment agency and one of my job is to scan photocopies of passports onto the system.

Everyone who comes to the agency must produce an ID otherwise the agency cannot take them on and if for any reason the recruitment consultant does not take a copy of their ID they usually get into trouble for it
Reply 6
Original post by Chrisateen
I am currently work as an admin in a recruitment agency and one of my job is to scan photocopies of passports onto the system.

Everyone who comes to the agency must produce an ID otherwise the agency cannot take them on and if for any reason the recruitment consultant does not take a copy of their ID they usually get into trouble for it

That's just wrong. Sure when an employer hires you s/he has the right to keep a copy of your passport but a recruitment agency? Before you even secured any job?
Reply 7
Original post by Blupper
That's just wrong. Sure when an employer hires you s/he has the right to keep a copy of your passport but a recruitment agency? Before you even secured any job?

There's nothing on your passport that once you turn 18 isn't freely available through public records.
Original post by Blupper

But the recruitment agency is responsible for ensuring that the candidate is eligible for work which is why they ask for your passport otherwise illegal immigrants would be using agencies to find work.

Also if you temp for a recruitment agency the recruitment agency is your employer not the company you are temping for
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, I had this just yesterday and from other posters comments, I think it's been made clear that it's just standard procedure.
Reply 10
Original post by Delaney
There's nothing on your passport that once you turn 18 isn't freely available through public records.

passport number
Reply 11
Original post by VENJA
passport number

Pedantic but fair point. Then again, who cares?
Assuming the recruiter is not your employer,
Just because is may be standard procedure doesn't mean that it's rights or legal.

Only your employer should keep copies of your passport or other protected documents only as proof that they have seen the original(s). That's right, a copy of your passport is evidence that your employer has witnessed the employee with the passport and is confirming the document is true and correct as per document checking procedures outlined by the government. https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work

Recruiters often get this wrong, and by obtaining copies of your passport they are putting themselves at risk and possibly breaking the law as mentioned above. I suspect that this culture of data mining people's protected documents such as passports and Visas will stop once a recruiter is fined by the government.

Furthermore, everyone has to follow data protection principles’ and make sure the information is:
1) used fairly and lawfully
2) used for limited, specifically stated purposes
3) used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive accurate
4) kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
5) handled according to people’s data protection rights
6) kept safe and secure
7) not transferred outside the European Economic Area without adequate protection

Please visit https://www.gov.uk/data-protection for more information.

Another useful link:
https://www.gov.uk/personal-data-my-employer-can-keep-about-me
I have just had this and I feel the data mining is wrong this is my ID that makes me? to cover there arses I have to but my self at risk how is this right. its not, I'm furious about giving a stranger a copy of my data.
A couple of years ago I was also asked this question so I sent it over to them. I didn't get an interview for the job or hear back from them at all...

Recently I had an informal chat with a recruiter, they actually admitted to me on the phone that they couldn't find a job in my industry and got a job as a recruiter so they could look through other peoples CVs and Portfolios to get inspiration... I was honestly very shocked, now I am incredibly and understandably very suspicious.

Scanning someones passport is a sign you have seen the document in the flesh, which is why you are requested to hand over your vitals to the permanent companies HR department when starting. If someone requests this info via e-mail without meeting you surely that is wrong?
(edited 6 years ago)
They have to - immigration rules. They need to have evidence you are able to work here legally.
A temp agency IS your employer - you will not have a contract with anyone else.

So, stop being a baby and just do it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi All, I just came across this thread of discussion about recruitment agencies asking for a copy of one's passport before they even give you a temporary job. I am very skeptical about giving an agency a copy of my passport for them to store when I haven't yet been given a job; With all the problems with identity fraud I am very suspicious. Does anyone know how I can safeguard myself if I should oblige the agency and allow them to take a copy of my passport?
Hi All, I just came across this thread of discussion about recruitment agencies asking for a copy of one's passport before they even give you a temporary job. I am very skeptical about giving an agency a copy of my passport for them to store when I haven't yet been given a job; With all the problems with identity fraud I am very suspicious. Does anyone know how I can safeguard myself if I should oblige the agency and allow them to take a copy of my passport?
Original post by lindageorge

There's no issue of identity fraud. Its a legal obligation for employers to ensure people are legally allowed to work in the UK. It makes sense to make sure of this right before bothering to interview someone, so they outsource it to anyone managing the recruitment for them. If you want a job, you need to prove you are eligible for employment at the earliest possibility.
Original post by threeportdrift
There's no issue of identity fraud. Its a legal obligation for employers to ensure people are legally allowed to work in the UK. It makes sense to make sure of this right before bothering to interview someone, so they outsource it to anyone managing the recruitment for them. If you want a job, you need to prove you are eligible for employment at the earliest possibility.

Ok thanks threeportdrift for your response to my post. Just sceptical but I suppose I'll have to oblige.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending